NY - Helicopter crashes on top of building in midtown Manhattan

ABC7 Eyewitness News on Twitter
D8uGmpQV4Aw4ECH.jpg

Helicopter crash-lands on Midtown Manhattan office building, 1 killed http://nypost.com/2019/06/10/helico...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons via @nypmetro

A helicopter crash-landed atop a Midtown Manhattan office building Monday afternoon, officials told The Post.

At least one person, believed to be the pilot, was killed, a senior NYPD official said.

The “hard landing” sparked a fire on the roof of 787 Seventh Avenue that has already been extinguished, the NYPD tweeted.

The incident occurred shortly before 2 p.m. during rain and fog.

There is no landing pad on top of the building, officials said.

Zach Escalante, a computer programmer who works on the third floor, said, “We felt the building move.”

more at link

The big question is why he was flying in NYC/Times Square area & in the current weather, according to all the televised reports I’ve listened to.
Chaos on the stairwell corridors existed during evacuation, which is to be xpected, I guess.

The big question is why he was flying in NYC/Times Square area & in the current weather, according to all the televised reports I’ve listened to.
Chaos on the stairwell corridors existed during evacuation, which is to be xpected, I guess.
I haven't heard anything about who owned the helicopter. It kind of seems odd that he was alone in the helicopter, but then i don't know much about helicopter flying in NYC.
That is unfortunate to hear about chaos in the stairways. But of course that had been working in the building had no idea what had happened and were undoubtedly in a hurry to get the hell out of the building. But, panicking just slows things down. I head one woman on TV, not sure which network it was. She worked in the building and said they heard and felt a rumbling. She initially thought it was an earthquake. Then someone said there smoke coming from the top of the building and everyone headed for the exits.

You are correct. That is restricted air space. Plus the weather was rainy and foggy at the time.
Both my grown children and their spouses work in Manhattan. My sil works only a block away from where this crash occurred. I checked on them all, of course, and he says everyone heard it from his office location at Rockefeller Center.
I feel as if I'm regularly checking on them all after hearing news that something has happened in NYC. Seemingly it was an accident this time, but with some questions still needing answers.

Airport manager Paul Dudley told the New York Times that pilot Tim McCormack worked for the helicopter's owner, Daniele Bodini, who he said commuted between the city and upstate New York.

Officials said on Monday McCormack had taken off from the 34th Street heliport 11 minutes before he crashed with the helicopter onto top of the 750-foot tall building, setting its roof ablaze.

They said the pilot had been waiting out the bad weather but ultimately decided to fly, and may have been heading to its home airport, which is southeast of the city, taking a route around the southern tip of Manhattan where Battery Park City is located before veering toward midtown somewhere between 40th and 49th streets.

Helicopter crashes on to roof of a skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan sparking mass evacuation | Daily Mail Online

Airport manager Paul Dudley told the New York Times that pilot Tim McCormack worked for the helicopter's owner, Daniele Bodini, who he said commuted between the city and upstate New York.

Officials said on Monday McCormack had taken off from the 34th Street heliport 11 minutes before he crashed with the helicopter onto top of the 750-foot tall building, setting its roof ablaze.

They said the pilot had been waiting out the bad weather but ultimately decided to fly, and may have been heading to its home airport, which is southeast of the city, taking a route around the southern tip of Manhattan where Battery Park City is located before veering toward midtown somewhere between 40th and 49th streets.

Helicopter crashes on to roof of a skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan sparking mass evacuation | Daily Mail Online

[bbm]

that's too bad ... RIP

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee