Found Deceased CA - Davey Johnson, Moto Journalist, Disappears On Motorcycle Trip, CA Route 49, 5 June 2019

5 hours ago:

Abigail Bassett‏Verified account @AbigailBassett

Update on search for Davey Johnson: The search has concluded for the day and will resume tomorrow. The Calaveras Sheriff and all involved agencies have requested additional resources to continue to aid in the search for Davey Johnson. (1 of 4 --sorry there's a lot to say)

Abigail Bassett on Twitter

The authorities did find Davey Johnson's wallet today. It was amongst his belongings tucked into a pocket in his motorcycle pants. Search and rescue efforts will continue again tomorrow. (2 of 4)

We have temporarily paused the ****** . The huge outpouring of support has been tremendous. We are incredibly grateful for the contributions that everyone has made. Currently,$16,580 has been raised and will be donated to the Calaveras County Search and Rescue. (3 of 4)

There are numerous media stories about the search for Davey Johnson and many have been approached to share their photos, memories, and thoughts about him. Any requests coming to me are being directed to Jaclyn. (4 of 4)

Here is the record of the temperatures in Mokelumne Hill this past week:

(ETA tap on the picture to read the temperature calendar)
View attachment 188495

Courtesy of https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mokelumne-hill-ca/95245/june-weather/2142268

I lived in this area of California for 20 years, so I am very familiar with the roads in this area. At this time of year, Davey was out of the icy road conditions as soon as he crossed the Sierras and got onto Highway 49. Highway 49 travels north/south through the foothills.

That is cold. The difference in temperature would make 45 seem really cold.

I think he got hypothermia. Thought he was hot. Took off his clothes and perhaps decided a little dip would cool him down. When someone gets hypothermia, they stop thinking clearly.

That is cold. The difference in temperature would make 45 seem really cold.

I think he got hypothermia. Thought he was hot. Took off his clothes and perhaps decided a little dip would cool him down. When someone gets hypothermia, they stop thinking clearly.
Looks that way- all of his clothes and valuables found next to a stream. He was going for a quick dip or to take a "bath", slipped, had a heart attack, any number of things could have gone wrong but was swept away.

It took this long to find his wallet in his pants? I guess they need a mom there to show them how you find a pebble in a pocket, hidden or not.
Maybe they were motorcycle overpants - i.e. over his pants?, and maybe with a bunch of pockets. Some of them have pockets down the legs. So maybe it took them a bit to go through them.

Looks that way- all of his clothes and valuables found next to a stream. He was going for a quick dip or to take a "bath", slipped, had a heart attack, any number of things could have gone wrong but was swept away.

Sounds possible. From experience, it's a big shock to your system to jump in a snow melt river, takes your breath away and your extremities become numb very quickly, almost immediately. I can't imagine trying to bathe in a river that cold, let alone one with a strong current. Perhaps he didn't realize it was snow melt.

I really hope he's ok and the find him soon, for the sake of his friends and family.

Maybe they were motorcycle overpants - i.e. over his pants?, and maybe with a bunch of pockets. Some of them have pockets down the legs. So maybe it took them a bit to go through them.
I just wanted to add that the riding pants also have removable armour from the inside so that can be a good stash place.
Having been a rider for many years and involved with mc racing community I have been following this case.That is the thing with riding /racing you spend most of your life in a dangerous hobby/sport and then it is something stupid that ends your life.There are many stories and one I always remember of a well known racer that passed from falling down the stairs.Bless you Davey!
An auto writer took a motorcycle on a test drive last week. He hasn't been seen since

So he was supposed to just drive around CA and took off to Vegas even tho he had a bunch of work due. His friend uses the words “dysfunction” and “bent” referring to him. His last words texted were, “I love you” followed by his fiance’s full name. And after driving in ice and being exhausted he felt the urge to swim in a cold river that was fast moving? (Add to this the fiancé says he’s an inexperienced swimmer). It doesn’t make sense. And of the place was crawling with meth heads I don’t think the bike and all his gear would still be there intact, or a laptop by the river.

I don't know anything about motorcycles, but wouldn't a test drive mean you were expected to return quickly? That's another reason stopping for a swim makes no sense.

I don't know anything about motorcycles, but wouldn't a test drive mean you were expected to return quickly? That's another reason stopping for a swim makes no sense.

I believe Davey was doing more than the regular test drive you and I would do. As a journalist, he was most likely given the bike for an extended period of time and he would have put it through its paces (stopping power, go power, smoothness vs roughness, etc.) in order to write up a thorough article about the bike.

So he was supposed to just drive around CA and took off to Vegas even tho he had a bunch of work due. His friend uses the words “dysfunction” and “bent” referring to him. His last words texted were, “I love you” followed by his fiance’s full name. And after driving in ice and being exhausted he felt the urge to swim in a cold river that was fast moving? (Add to this the fiancé says he’s an inexperienced swimmer). It doesn’t make sense. And of the place was crawling with meth heads I don’t think the bike and all his gear would still be there intact, or a laptop by the river.

I agreee with all this! I have wondered if his text to his soon to be fiancé truly sounded like him to her.

I’d also be curious if there was more to the convo when he texted his friend the pic of him in the water. How deep was he in, clothes at the time, etc. I’m sure it’s been communicated to those searching however.

Dave doesn’t seem to be a stranger to that area, extreme weather, or danger for that matter.

I did read he was in “warm weather” gear for the ride.

The reviews on the google page for the parking lot / big bar launch where his bike was found continue the theme of drug users and transients in the area. big bar ca 49 - Google Search

Yet, it seems he was definitely in the water at one time. Question is, what water, and did he come back out. Pray he did.

Ugh, don't go in California mountain streams you don't know! We had a lot of snow and rain this year. The streams are full, fast, and really cold. Plus they are letting water out of the dams. I went wayyyyy up in the mountains one Memorial day with a dude. It was 102 that day. The sand and rocks burned, but the water was so cold and strong, it was like being kicked. I wouldn't go in deeper than my knees.

Where The Hell Is Davey G. Johnson? | Motorcyclist

Nicely written article by someone who knows him well.

Also says he stopped to swim in the river.

Maybe this was mentioned before but....this article said the key was in the ignition. I don't know anything about motorcycles, but why would you leave the key in the ignition but take your laptop, phone, etc.... Especially on a bike that didn't belong to you. Wouldn't it be very easy to steal with the key in the ignition?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back