Found Deceased Netherlands - Anja Schaap, 33, Katwijk, 29 May 2019

So what was going on? Was it really her at 3:45am? Where and when was she previously seen? When she left the cafe alone, did she plan on going somewhere else, perhaps to a place that was still open? Is there anything of interest on the street she was seen at 3:45? Did someone eventually give her a lift home?

Edited to add: If she still had her bag/phone with her at 3:45, phone pings could confirm her general location, but also movements that night.
At the time she was leaving the pub,there is no way that she would have let in,in to another pub.The regulations in Holland are very strict.
Cafes can lose their license if they have someone inside,after certain hours.
I do not known Katwijk that well,only from holiday..but at that time I spend my time on the coast and in the centre.

Imo,the time she was last seen must have come from CCTV. I read on twitter that the street she walked there were/are several cams and how comes that the time was pinpoint?
But then again could be that the time came from her phone...

"Cateringestablishments may be open until 5 am for visitors who arrive before 1 am. Half an hour before closing time, no more drinks may be sold and no more music may be played
  • Associations may be open until 1 am for visitors who arrive before midnight
  • Terraces may be open for visits between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m.
  • Beach pavilions may be open until midnight for visitors who arrive before 10.30 pm
  • During New Year's Eve, the hospitality industry and associations may not be open between 8 p.m. and 5 p.m."
  • Sluitingstijden horeca en verenigingen
Add Twitter
LE found nothing during todays search but there was a reply on LE tweet...."Our dog reacts very strange when walking (this afternoon at about 4 o'clock and again). She wants to get away from the water of the Prins hendrik canal with all her might (where the Prins hendrik canal ends up in the harbor at the fire brigade (see map attached)"

Last edited:
At the time she was leaving the pub,there is no way that she would have let in,in to another pub.The regulations in Holland are very strict.
Cafes can lose their license if they have someone inside,after certain hours.
I do not known Katwijk that well,only from holiday..but at that time I spend my time on the coast and in the centre.

Imo,the time she was last seen must have come from CCTV. I read on twitter that the street she walked there were/are several cams and how comes that the time was pinpoint?
But then again could be that the time came from her phone...

"Cateringestablishments may be open until 5 am for visitors who arrive before 1 am. Half an hour before closing time, no more drinks may be sold and no more music may be played
  • Associations may be open until 1 am for visitors who arrive before midnight
  • Terraces may be open for visits between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m.
  • Beach pavilions may be open until midnight for visitors who arrive before 10.30 pm
  • During New Year's Eve, the hospitality industry and associations may not be open between 8 p.m. and 5 p.m."
  • Sluitingstijden horeca en verenigingen
Thanks for that information. They probably reviewed all camera footage on her route home, so time might have come from her phone. Does that mean that there are no more street cameras before the point where her bag was found?

What do you think happened? Where was she for nearly two hours after leaving the cafe?

Thanks for that information. They probably reviewed all camera footage on her route home, so time might have come from her phone. Does that mean that there are no more street cameras before the point where her bag was found?

What do you think happened? Where was she for nearly two hours after leaving the cafe?
I dont know,it could be chilly around the coast at night,but if she was drinking she could have been expanded her walk or meet someone,which seems odd,imo at that time.She is 33 yrs so not that naive anymore to hook up with someone she met online in a place where she was last seen.
The waitress said :nothing out of the ordinary on that tuesday night,so she wasnt that drunk..foul play,I think..?

Here is a re-tweet from Anja's friend :Fleurvan Schaik: Twitter
'With retroactive effect, people talk about being harassed in Katwijk about a strange white van. People call the police about that. #vermissinganja'

Latest tweet from LE; "Fire department Katwijk is now searching in the water of a ditch next to a campsite on the Noordduinen."
Twitter

Also a little correction from my part about this
It says also : "They do this based on new information along with the VST"
It from another msm source:
Nieuwe zoektocht naar vermiste Anja Schaap met hulp van veteranen

Does anyone have a sense of what happened that night?

She was at the pub until closing time (1AM or 1:52AM) and then walked home. She was seen around 3:30 AM, and her purse was in a ditch between where she was seen and the pub. Now the search seems to be in the dunes.

I've wavered from abduction, to suicide, to abduction again.

She was at the pub until closing time (1AM or 1:52AM) and then walked home. She was seen around 3:30 AM, and her purse was in a ditch between where she was seen and the pub. Now the search seems to be in the dunes.

The vibe I am getting from the tweets I read,I do not think she commited suicide.It seems she had a pleasent evening with her cousin.

And as far as I know,the dunes can be notorious for murder..and hiding a body.

Nothing was found during todays search and according to the twitter account of District 16
Twitter the photographer has not seen searchdogs (maybe due to the bad weather forecast ?)

If an accident took place than this could be a scenario:
"They were exploring the area around the Nordduinen and an inlet from the North Sea"
Coastal search expanded for woman missing since May 29

Add weather conditions Katwijk:
  • DI28-5
    16°/ 6°
    werkelijke temperaturen
  • WO29-5
    20°/ 4°
    werkelijke temperaturen

Last edited:

I think her purse was found between where she was last seen and her home. I think the location of her purse was probably where she was attacked and taken elsewhere. IMO someone immeditely got rid of the purse. Where did they take her from that point? The dunes were a possibility.

In a suicide scenario she got fairly close to home and then decided to ditch her belongings and walk somewhere else where she hasn't been found yet. This seems less likely.

Last edited:
I think her purse was found between where she was last seen and her home. I think the location of her purse was probably where she was attacked and taken elsewhere. IMO someone immeditely got rid of the purse. Where did they take her from that point? The dunes were a possibility.

In a suicide scenario she got fairly close to home and then decided to ditch her belongings and walk somewhere else where she hasn't been found yet. This seems less likely.

I do agree with you that where her purse was found,it was probably the place where she was attacked/abducted.

Commiting suicide...well..not easy to hide your body afterwards and why choose an option like that?
You can choose to end your life by walking into the water but by my knowledge,it is a rare/hard choise to end your life that way (imo)
And there are (to my knowledge) no indications/suggestions of suicide.
But then again there is a taboo on that subject and I googled a bit,just out of curiosity.
It seems that woman and men have different ways of choosing to end their own lives.
To me,it seems more likely then, to have an accident by falling into the water and drowning/hypothermia.

But anyway dunes are a perfect place to hide,dig and it is dark (not as rooty as a forest) and the weather was chilly so more advantaged,if this is the case.

In this case: "police and other LE have already cleared the dune area twice before. Among other things, special equipment was used that detects unevenness in the terrain."
Lichaam in duinen blijkt van vermiste man | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl
But it seems that in this case (very lugubrious,btw) the victims body was found by the location the killer had told where to search.

Some rumors here & there ..
Looks like the police are working on the time line..The family seems very religious and there was a reply that Anja suffered from some depressions?

Suicide:
It seems to me that it could not be unseen?
To be honest,I don't know what to make of it.
The Netherlands is a small country with more then 17+ millionn inhabitants,very crowed.

I wonder if LE searched her pc/laptop/etc....?
-No updates about that.

The police still receive a lot of new information about the missing Anja Schaap from Katwijk. That's what a police spokesperson told RTL News. He does not want to comment on what that extra information entails. There is still no breakthrough in the missing case that has been going on for nearly two weeks.

Veel nieuwe informatie over vermiste Anja Schaap

The Anja Schaap family starts their own water search

On Whit Monday, the family of Anja Schaap did its own search on the water of the Marina. A sonar boat was used for this. The research team is affiliated with this. The police report this on Tuesday.

This weekend the police have been busy analyzing information from the neighborhood investigation, hearing witnesses and checking tips.
-
Missing
Anja Schaap left café In den Blauwen Bock on Badstraat on the night of Tuesday 28 May on Wednesday 29 May at 1.50 am and then she disappeared from the radar. She never arrived home. Her bag was found two days later in a ditch on the Melkweg. She was also seen at 03.45 on the Kanaaldijk. Cameras are hanging there.

Familie Anja Schaap start zelf zoekactie op water

Dutch true crime tv program had an item about Anja today.
Katwijk - Zorgwekkende vermissing Anja Schaap (33)
With cctv footage of Anja on that evening and a lot of information.
Thanks for the link!

csm_119316_anjaschaap_soBB3_94ab091d1e.jpg

Dutch true crime tv program had an item about Anja today.
Katwijk - Zorgwekkende vermissing Anja Schaap (33)
With cctv footage of Anja on that evening and a lot of information.
A lot of new information there! I read the English translation of the timeline under the video. She was seen (with her bag) 400m past the point where her bag was found and was later seen in multiple locations around town. They can't say if she still had the bag in some of the surveillance videos. Couldn't that be determined by the phone pings? Her phone was moving while she had the bag. Technically they should be able to pinpoint when she lost the bag (if her phone was on). There seems to be a small discrepancy in the timeline: distance between Tramstraat and Binnensluis seems to be 10 minutes on foot, but the timeline only shows four minute difference (2am and 2:04). With so much new information, a lot more theories as to what happened could be formulated.

That is indeed a lot more info in "Opsporing "Verzocht"
Thank you for the post,I just watched it.
LE wants to know who saw her that night in
specific area:

"Anja was last seen on camera footage at 3.45 on the Kanaaldijk. At the end of that dike is a rise to the beach and a large parking lot. The police want to speak to everyone Anja has seen there that night. People who were there at the time and who did not see Anja are also asked to report. This way it can be mapped who were in the parking lot that night."
Vermiste Anja Schaap mogelijk richting parkeerplaats bij Katwijks strand gelopen

If I am not mistaken,there was a mention of a possible eye witness,who think she saw Anja around 6am..?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back