GUILTY CA - Former NFL star, Kellen Winslow Jr. Threatened To Murder Women After He Raped Them, 2018

I think the DA will re-try it -- doubt the DA is satisfied with a max of 9 years. This could force a plea deal on the remaining counts wherein there is some kind of agreement on the number of years in prison. Once things calm down and reality sets in that another rape conviction could lead to a life sentence... then a plea deal may happen. JMO.

Well at least there is a partial verdict.

Ive never heard of a case like this where only some of the charges are allowed to have official verdicts while the other charges are a mistrial. Never heard of that happening before.

Hope it doesnt give ammunition to the defense in any appeals they may end up doing.

A new trial for the other charges will be interesting to see if they can reference the 4 successful convictions or not.

The other interesting thing is what about sentencing now for the other charges. If they end up convicting him on some of the other charges then there is no way to have them served concurrently with the sentence he is about to receive for the 4. Or is there? Maybe any new sentencing can be appended on top of previous sentences.

I saw it in one other case but I cannot remember which one. But I remember the jury came back with a partial verdict and said they could not agree on the other charges. I wish I could remember...:oops:

VISTA, Calif. — A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday on the remaining charges against former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. after a jury convicted him of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman but could not break a deadlock over two counts of rape involving a 54-year-old hitchhiker and an unconscious teen.

Prosecutors did not immediately say whether they would retry the charges but agreed to return to court Friday to discuss that option and possibly set a new trial date.

Winslow, who played for Cleveland, Tampa Bay, New England and the New York Jets, currently faces up to nine years in prison and must register as a sex offender.

The jury on Monday found him guilty of an attack last year on the homeless woman in his picturesque beach community of Encinitas, north of San Diego. Jurors also convicted him of two misdemeanors—indecent exposure and a lewd act in public—involving two other women.

Mistrial declared on remaining counts against Winslow Jr.

I think the DA will re-try it -- doubt the DA is satisfied with a max of 9 years. This could force a plea deal on the remaining counts wherein there is some kind of agreement on the number of years in prison. Once things calm down and reality sets in that another rape conviction could lead to a life sentence... then a plea deal may happen. JMO.
Since they have a status conference on Friday. Maybe we will find out when the Defense wants to schedule the re-trial. You maybe right depending on the outcome of trying the other charges, they may want to plea bargain. I am curious to see what happens. They are so sure KW is innocent.

Since they have a status conference on Friday. Maybe we will find out when the Defense wants to schedule the re-trial. You maybe right depending on the outcome of trying the other charges, they may want to plea bargain. I am curious to see what happens. They are so sure KW is innocent.
I didn't get the impression that the Defense team thinks he's innocent. They seem to focus on reasonable doubt/not proven even outside the court room. JMO.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed if there are females at the Defense table? Based on KW's seeming lack of ability to control his compulsions, I worry for any female associates/employees he has to deal with on a regular basis. JMO

Has anyone noticed if there are females at the Defense table? Based on KW's seeming lack of ability to control his compulsions, I worry for any female associates/employees he has to deal with on a regular basis. JMO

Yes, he has a female pregnant defense attorney that sits next to him as well as 2 male attorneys.

It is common for defense attorneys to seat a female at the table with accused rapists. They want the jury to see that females feel safe around him.
Yes, there was a female seated at the defense table.

I didn't get the impression that the Defense team thinks he's innocent. They seem to focus on reasonable doubt/not proven even outside the court room. JMO.
Sorry I think I may have the innocent confused with the Mcstay case. Following too many trials. That is what happens when there are no trials for a while then all of sudden there are several you want to follow.

Don't all Defense Lawyers think their clients are innocent. LOL

Sorry!

Considering the article quoted the defense team saying they plan to appeal the 3 convictions. That usually means they think he's innocent. Not very good judgment, JMO, but many defense attorneys are like that.

Winslow's attorneys indicated that they want him to be sentenced after the case is retried and that they plan to appeal three convictions.

I'm still shocked at the bad judgment of the dissenting juror. How do you find Winslow guilty of raping the 57 yo woman he "befriended", yet not find him guilty of sodomy?

How do they find him guilty of exposing himself to the 77 yo woman at the gym, but not later when he followed her and got into the hot tub and exposed himself again? Who does that to a 77 yo woman?

JMO, he's going to victimize women again, because he assumes he will get away with it again.

How do they find him guilty of exposing himself to the 77 yo woman at the gym, but not later when he followed her and got into the hot tub and exposed himself again? Who does that to a 77 yo woman?

JMO, he's going to victimize women again, because he assumes he will get away with it again.

Who does this to a 77 year old woman?

A guy with a huge hummer, IMO

(excuse the levity break) :eek::D

Considering the article quoted the defense team saying they plan to appeal the 3 convictions. That usually means they think he's innocent. Not very good judgment, JMO, but many defense attorneys are like that.

I'm still shocked at the bad judgment of the dissenting juror. How do you find Winslow guilty of raping the 57 yo woman he "befriended", yet not find him guilty of sodomy?

Appeals have very little to do with a belief in innocence. They have to do with arguing procedural errors and other issues i.e., lack of a fair trial. If a defendant has money and is convicted it is almost certain there will be an appeal.
As to the 77 year old victim at the gym, KW was charged with lewd acts, not exposure, as the woman never said she saw him exposed. The jury apparently did not think they proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he was masturbating in the Jacuzzi because the woman said she could not see below the water (unlike the first alleged lewd act which she said she clearly saw). In his statements after meeting the jurors, the prosecutor seemed to accept why they had reasonable doubt on that count.
As to the sodomy charge for JD 2, I think the issue was that the victim testified that she was not sure that particular penetration was intentional. At least that's what I thought I heard reporters saying about it.

Last edited:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/13/kellen-winslow-jr-ii-crimes-rape-trial-homeless-woman-elderly

The crime spree of which Winslow is accused—and now, in part, convicted—is disturbing. He will spend years in prison for the rape of a 58-year-old homeless woman. He has also been convicted of exposing himself to a 59-year-old woman in the middle of a spring day while she worked in her garden, as well as making lewd gestures toward a 77-year-old woman while she worked out at a gym. A jury remained hopelessly deadlocked on eight other charges, causing the judge to declare a mistrial on those counts, though the jury splits were said to be in favor of guilt on all eight. He’s been charged with raping two more women, the incidents taking place 15 years apart. Last summer, police accused Winslow of breaking into the homes of two other women, ages 86 and 71, and believed he intended to rape them (those charges were dismissed pre-trial).

more at link

http://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/13/kellen-winslow-jr-ii-crimes-rape-trial-homeless-woman-elderly

The crime spree of which Winslow is accused—and now, in part, convicted—is disturbing. He will spend years in prison for the rape of a 58-year-old homeless woman. He has also been convicted of exposing himself to a 59-year-old woman in the middle of a spring day while she worked in her garden, as well as making lewd gestures toward a 77-year-old woman while she worked out at a gym. A jury remained hopelessly deadlocked on eight other charges, causing the judge to declare a mistrial on those counts, though the jury splits were said to be in favor of guilt on all eight. He’s been charged with raping two more women, the incidents taking place 15 years apart. Last summer, police accused Winslow of breaking into the homes of two other women, ages 86 and 71, and believed he intended to rape them (those charges were dismissed pre-trial).

more at link

:eek:

This guy has a problem. They really need to keep an eye on him. Possible B&E for suspected intent of raping?

From the linked article, his former team mates have had concerns about him for many years:

Teammates begged out of shared hotel room assignments with Winslow because he watched *advertiser censored* and masturbated openly. “He showed the signs of being a perv, but clearly it has escalated,” says a former coach. “This is another level.”

:eek:

During road games when the team stayed at a hotel and had a curfew, assistant coaches who performed bed checks reported on multiple occasions finding Winslow watching *advertiser censored*. When *advertiser censored* became widely available on mobile phones, he often watched it on his smartphone during meetings,

He's also been arrested for possession of synthetic MJ, when women reported him to police for sitting in his car masturbating. Synthetic MJ can contain anything, including psychoactive ingredients, right?

Synthetic cannabinoids: What are they? What are their effects? | HSB | NCEH

There's a much worse quote in the SI article about reports from coaches on his bizarre sexual obsession, but I won't quote it here. It's pretty bizarre and disgusting.

Dark side of Kellen Winslow Jr., convicted rapist

If this behavior was displayed by anyone other than a wealthy pro sports star, they would be convicted and locked up for a very long time.

Last edited:
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 10m10 minutes ago
BREAKING: Prosecutors will retry #KellenWinslow on the 8 remaining counts. Jury selection begins Sept. 30, 2019.

D9CmXjPXYAAKNxL.jpg

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#KellenWinslow - The defense asked that Winslow be released with a GPS ankle monitor Judge denied.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back