MN MN - Barbara Paciotti, 20, Hibbing, 14 June 1969

Do we know if Jeffrey Dolinich is still living?

Satch

If anyone is still following this, we have not given up. There are two of us, private individuals, who
continue to look into this and hopefully find the truth. Certain aspects of this have not been completely looked at. We appreciate your interest and any help you can provide.

Thank you for your interest in the Barbara Paciotti case. I'm still a local resident of the town where
this happened in June of 1969. It is my understanding that the car in question, a green 1964 Oldsmobile was accounted for following the disappearance of Ms. Paciotti. The lone suspect in
the case was still in possession of the vehicle when he was questioned by police the following day.
Some of Barbara's belongings, including her purse were found in the car. The suspect was never
arrested or charged. He died several years ago. Myself and another individual are seeking resources
to assist in the search of an area we feel was overlooked in the initial and subsequent searches and
investigations. June of this year marks the 50th anniversary of this mystery.

1805DFMN - Barbara Jean Paciotti
BJPaciotti.jpg

Name: Barbara Jean Paciotti
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: June 14, 1969
Location Last Seen: Hibbing, St. Louis County, Minnesota

Physical Description
Date of Birth: March 11, 1949
Race: White
Height: 4’11”-5'0"
Weight: 98 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: N/A
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Rust-colored jacket over a red plaid dress, a pair of loafers.
Jewelry: Rings of Jade and Topaz.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Paciotti was last seen in downtown near Sammy’s Pizza (now the Mane Salon), where a close friend watched her get into a 1964 Oldsmobile being driven by a suspect she had been dating.

Paciotti was residing in Minneapolis at the time but in town visiting her parents for the weekend visit and in celebration of Father’s Day. She had been working as a secretary for an investment firm for about a year.

Later that day, officers of the Minneapolis Police Department were called by the suspect's family members to check on his welfare. He was living in an apartment in Minneapolis and had returned some time that day. He was located by law enforcement a few blocks from his apartment shortly thereafter. According to reports, a short chase ensued. The suspect was soon apprehended and returned with officers to his apartment. While being questioned, the suspect told officers that he and Paciotti took a ride around 01:30 a.m. He said they had an argument, which prompted him to exit the car. A specified location of the stop was not given. The suspect went on to tell officers that he recalled hitting Paciotti once, and that he was sure she was dead. He remembers waking up in Mora, Minnesota, but not where he left Paciotti. Officers noticed muddied clothing and shoes lying on the apartment floor. Mud and grass covered a pair of pants that the suspect claimed he had been wearing earlier that morning.

The suspect's vehicle, which belonged to his father, was searched. Officers located a purse with one of its straps detached. Inside the purse, they found Paciotti’s identification. The suspect was not arrested at the time.

A day later, the Minneapolis Homicide Unit received word from family members that the suspect had penned a suicide note. Family also told officers they had spoken to him about Paciotti and what may have occurred, adding that he did not remember much. He was admitted to a hospital for observation.

A search warrant was executed by Minneapolis officers on June 19, 1969. The suspect's roommate informed them that the muddied pants and shoes in question were taken by the suspect's mother. The shoes were located some time after but the pants never were. Officers attempted to question the suspect about his involvement with Paciotti on June 20, 1969, but were unsuccessful.

At the same time, several massive ground searches were mobilized in the Hibbing area, but raised no leads. Three reports were received via phone that a vehicle was seen on Highway 73 with its headlights on in the early hours of the morning on June 14. The reports place the vehicle about one mile south of the Maple Hill overpass. It is unknown whether the vehicle was occupied at the time. Paciotti was never found. The case was eventually suspended.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Hibbing Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Detective Dale Wright
Agency Phone Number: 218-263-3601
Agency E-Mail: dwright@ci.hibbing.mn.us
Agency Case Number: 2128

Agency Name: Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Cold Case Unit
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 877-996-6222
Agency E-Mail: bca.coldcase@state.mn.us
Agency Case Number: N/A

NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: 11036

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Doe networkhttps://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11036/0/
BCA
Spotlight on Crime
Nampn
The Daily Tribune

We're planning a search when the weather improves of a parcel of land previously overlooked. Since it is very near the location the car was spotted on the night in question, we feel it should be given a serious look. If you put together a time line based on available facts, the only conclusion you can reach is that something happened very near where the car (1964 Oldsmobile) was spotted on the
highway with its lights on in the early morning hours of June 14th 1969. The property to be searched is less than a quarter mile from that location. It's never been looked at. We're going to do just that.

Northwoodsman,
Can you describe generally the area to be searched? Is it in a rural wooded setting, or is it near water, or buildings? What is the time line you refer to in your previous post?

Given a good time line as to where Barbara and her date were known to be at various times, one might conclude some possible areas to search.

What was the weather like that day? The POI is mentioned as having muddy or dirty trousers and shoes. Could that have been a result of digging a grave, or of simply moving around in a muddy area?

The target area to be searched is a wooded area, originally part of an old farm. The official searches by investigators and authorities came up to the road that is the property line. The property beyond that was never searched. It's about a 1/4 mile from where the car was spotted by several people on the night in question.
It's still early spring here, with lots of snow on the ground yet. Any searches are about a month out
from now.
We believe the incident happened on what used to be a farm road or logging road on the north side
of the property. That road is now developed with homes on the north side. The south side is untouched woods. We believe there is a grave site on the property, and that the suspect dug the grave that night. That would explain the muddy shoes and pants.
This happened in mid June, which is early summer. That particular night was a new moon, so it
was very dark out. Rural area, no lights for miles. That would explain the car on the road with the
headlights on. The suspect needed light to make his way out of the woods near the highway where
he could have been hiding the shovel.
Hundreds of leads have been followed up over 50 years and none have ever amounted to anything.
Our theory cannot be any worse than any of the other leads over half a century.
This theory of events matches the time line of events that are known facts. It had to have happened right there, (near where the car was spotted)- as there wasn't time to go anywhere else.
The suspect then drove for over 4 hours to Minneapolis, and was reportedly there early to mid morning. The police questioned him that day.
Unfortunately it's been so long that nearly everyone involved in this case is no longer with us.
It needs to be solved now, or it will never be solved at all.

If this wooded area has remained woods with no development, building, or invasive work like a road, then it will essentially be an undisturbed time capsule. Trees have died and fallen and others of considerable size may have grown up, but what lies beneath the surface will probably be undisturbed.

If you can do some digging in the nearby area, you will see what the soil and stratta are like. For instance, top soil for so many inches, then loose dirt, and finally clay might be something you would encounter. If the digging got really hard at 3 feet, say, then that is the likely depth of the grave.

Check around with various active cemeteries to see if they have a Sexton (caretaker) who can locate graves. He/she may have a lot of practice locating old graves for the placement of headstones, or for burying a loved one alongside without disturbing the existing older grave. There are a number of ways that this is done, but perhaps they might be able to assist in your search.

Cadaver dogs can find people who have been buried 100 years

That may be true, given the experience levels of both dog and handler, and the proper conditions. I have worked with dogs and their scenting ability is amazing. Unfortunately, there have been some dishonest handlers who faked evidence and in so doing tainted cases and made LE wary of going that route.

A big problem is that there are many variables in this kind of search (time, weather, humidity, heat/cold, terrain, vegetation, distance, fatigue) and if the dog DOESN'T find the grave you are searching for, it does not mean that it isn't actually there - he just did not find it and you can't rule the area out.

There are other techniques for finding graves which are much more reliable.

Friday June 14, 2019 is the 50 year mark for this case, the disappearance of Barbara Paciotti. We've spent the past two years following up on our theory based on the known facts. The focus has been on a particular parcel of land that was never searched. Unfortunately, lack of resources and interest in a 50 year old case means we will be suspending further investigation of this incident. It is doubtful that authorities will spend any additional resources or time on this as well. As the lone suspect in the case has passed away several years ago, there is not much incentive to go any further.
We had hoped for a breakthrough in the case that would bring closure to remaining family. We're
sorry we couldn't do more to make that happen. But we did what we could. Maybe someday the truth and whole story will come out, if anyone really knows what happened. Thanks to all for your
interest and support. Northwoodsman.

I really hate that this is happening. She needs to come home to her family. Thank you for your dedication!

Here there's a great summary of the investigation:
Insufficient Evidence

A very well written narrative concerning this case.

Jeffrey Dolinich was identified as a possible suspect in Barbara Paciotti's disappearance. He was the last person known to be with Barbara the night of 14 June 1969.

Barbara remains missing as her body has never been found.

Dolinich died at the age of 70 in 2013.

Here is what he wrote on the subject shortly after Barbara went missing:

“Dear Folks,

“Something terrible happened to which I have no recall. Everything was fine the other night, except for the way I was driving. I drank too much and should have never considered driving. Barb got out of the car and so did I. The last thing I remember is falling and she tried to help me. Being too heavy, I knocked her down. The next morning I woke up near Mora. How I got back in the car and drove that distance, I don't know. I know I never could have driven that far without an accident, etc.

“I wouldn't hurt her for anything in the world. We were going to be married, so whatever happened I don't know the reason, why it happened or where, etc. I don't have a chance and can't even defend myself because I don't remember anything. By the time you see this letter, I will be dead and couldn't possibly face anybody, answer questions, etc. If the worst occurred, I would be condemned without a chance and being unable to explain what happened, where I was, etc., makes it even worse.

“We got along so well and happy together that it would break me completely if anything happened to her. I loved her more than anything in the world and anybody that knew us could easily verify that. I am so scared and frightened and completely lost with myself. I could run away but that solves nothing. Eventually I would be found and I still wouldn't have the answers. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to her. She was my responsibility to watch and care for. I evidently failed. If I or someone (sic) did take a life, I will give my life although I don't see how I could because everything was fine with us. I loved her very much. This occurrence is too strange for me.

“May you find forgiveness in your hearts.”

The note was signed, “Jeff.” and postmarked from his residence in Minneapolis.

See the above link for more details.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdward01
Back