MN MN - Susan Swedell, 19, Lake Elmo, 19 Jan 1988

From the link:

Nineteen-year-old Susan Swedell loved singing in the choir and playing hand bells at Christ Lutheran Church in Lake Elmo. She liked acting, listening to Simon & Garfunkel and chatting with boys. Her favorite movies were “The Sound of Music” and “Chariots of Fire.” She thought Falco’s “Rock Me Amadeus” was the greatest song in the world. She spoke Spanish, studied psychology and worked two jobs.

And then she was gone.

When Swedell had not arrived home by 11 p.m. on that Tuesday night, her mother and sister called the sheriff’s office to request that deputies search for her car — a 1975 maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass — in ditches between Kmart and the house they rented in downtown Lake Elmo.

Investigators didn’t learn until the next day that she had left the gas station with a man.

The gas-station attendant said Swedell pulled up to the station around 9:30 p.m., followed by a “light-colored older model car with sport wheels that was in good shape, but dirty,” said Troy Ackerknecht, a detective with the sheriff’s office.
swedell-composite-sketch.jpg
A police sketch of the man last seen with Susan Swedell, 19, of Lake Elmo, on Jan. 19, 1988.

The man was described as slim, 6 feet to 6 feet 2 inches tall, with long sandy-brown hair and a three- to four-day beard growth. He was wearing a leather jacket.

Swedell and the man talked for a few minutes, and then Swedell came into the station and said she was having car problems, Ellickson said. “She asked if she could leave her car at the station. The attendant said, ‘Well, they’re going to plow here. You’ll need to move it.’ She moved it, and they left westbound on Highway 5.”

Swedell was wearing a short skirt and sweater and no coat or boots, according to police reports. Her manager at Kmart told police that at the end of her shift Swedell changed out of the red pants outfit she had worn to work. “He made a comment that she wasn’t dressed appropriately for the blizzard,” Ackerknecht said.

When police searched her car the next day, they found her glasses, driver’s license and purse.

In the weeks before she disappeared, Susan Swedell had been using telephone chat lines to talk to boys, racking up a bill of more than $300, Kathy Swedell said.

Co-workers at Kmart reported that Swedell, a graduate of Stillwater Area High School, had been receiving numerous calls at work from a man. She also continued to talk to an ex-boyfriend and had reportedly made plans to see him the night she disappeared, but he called to cancel because of the weather.

A week after Susan disappeared, Kathy Swedell returned to her job as principal secretary for the University of Minnesota math department, and Christine Swedell went back to school.

When Christine got home from school that afternoon, she couldn’t find the key to get in the house.
jmp-002-0100-swedell-family.jpg

Christine Swedell, left with her mom, Kathy, shows a picture of Susan Swedell, who disappeared in 1988. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)
“We normally kept it on a shelf, right next to the door, underneath something — that’s just the way it was in Lake Elmo,” Christine Swedell said. “I was looking all over for it. I couldn’t get into the house. It was locked. That was the key. I didn’t have an extra.”

She eventually located it under a box in a back corner of the shelf. When she entered the house, she said, she “felt like someone had been there.”

There were dirty dishes in the sink that hadn’t been there in the morning, and there was a “peculiar” smell of smoke, she said.

“It smelled of something sweet,” she said. “I’ve never done drugs or had a drink, but … it was very strong. People say it might have been marijuana, but I didn’t know. I didn’t touch anything. I didn’t go upstairs. I just called Mom. Of course, it felt like forever until she got home. I was freaking out.”

Later that night, Christine found the red outfit that Susan had worn to work on the day she disappeared; it had been balled up and jammed under Susan’s bed.

None of her daughter’s personal items, including clothing, makeup or grooming products, were taken, but “somebody had been there,” Kathy Swedell said.

“We were really surprised no one came to check out dishes or get fingerprints,” she said. “They came out after we had already washed the dishes."

Earlier this year, Washington County investigators took to the BCA the red pants that Swedell was wearing before she disappeared, to have them tested. Although the pants had been washed several times and Christine Swedell had worn them in the years since her sister’s disappearance, authorities wanted to make sure they checked that box, Ellickson said.

JAN 11, 2019
Questions remain, tips surge 30 years after Minn. teen goes missing in blizzard
3933682%2Bmissing.jpg

Susan Swedell (left) is shown in a photo taken about a month before she went missing on Jan. 19, 1988. A police sketch (right), drawn by an artist working for the Washington County Sheriff's Office, was created on Oct. 13, 1998, based on a description given to investigators by the gas-station attendant who was the last to see Susan Swedell, 19, of Lake Elmo, on Jan. 19, 1988. Courtesy of the Washington County Sheriff's Office

Sheriff Dan Starry said his office has received eight tips this week about Swedell; her case has been getting renewed attention as the 30th anniversary of her disappearance nears.

The tips range from people calling with information "that they feel could help the investigation" to a person who came to the office and asked to be interviewed about the case, Starry said. He would not give additional details.

"For us, it's still an active case," he said. "We're leaving no stone unturned. We want to make sure that we look at everything."

A $25,000 reward is being offered for information leading to her whereabouts.

Anybody with information about Swedell's disappearance can call the sheriff's tip line at 651-430-7850.

The information "might be super innocuous to them, but it might be the piece we need to get to the next step," Ellickson said. "Anything that we get, we're documenting and following up with. Some of (the tips) are a little bit more out there than others, but some people knew her or knew about her. Just getting any information about the people she hung around with, anything, would be good."

OT: Looking at the sketch of a killer who was recently linked to two murders in CA in the late 70s, it wasn't too far off. Surprised anyone who knew him back then didn't see the resemblance.
Take a look:
Investigators solve 1970s cold cases with emerging DNA technique

The article stated that Joseph Holt had lived in Lake Tahoe, CA since 1974. I tried to see if he had any connection to Minnesota, but couldn’t find one.

I really love how DNA is catching so many criminals! I wonder if there is any DNA is Susan’s case (from the car, jumpsuit, dishes in the sink, etc.)?

I really think Susan’s abductor/murderer was much closer to home. Someone that she knew. Someone in her circle, just outside her circle, someone from the chat line or the dance club. If someone really went into Susan’s apartment after her disappearance then it would have to be someone who knew about the hidden key I would think. Sure, he could have just hoped there was a key there, I don’t know? Seems very bold! I still don’t know if I believe he went into the apartment? I definitely believe her family thinks that, but I am skeptical.

I wonder if any of the boys/men in her life have since been arrested?

Last edited:
I had another thought, or two, about the moved key and evidence of someone being in the apartment. Could a friend of either Sue or her sister have known about the key and that the house was unoccupied during the day? An empty house and easy access might be a good place for a teen to go if they wanted to ditch school. Or even more likely in my mind, a good place for a couple of teenagers to sneak away, smoke dope, and have sex. If they even considered that they might get caught an easy explanation might be that they were such a good friend that it wouldn’t be unusual for them to be in the house and could have explained it away as just there waiting for Sue or her sister? Or they were cold (this was January) and needed a place to go, so sorry, won’t happen again. A friend would expect that their apology would be accepted and that they wouldn’t get in serious trouble anyway. I just wish we knew with absolute certainty if the pantsuit Sue was wearing the day she disappeared really appeared the very day that someone was in the house.

What about a landlord/maintenance man? They would have access to the home. But I guess that doesn’t fit with the moved key. Unless they moved the key on purpose to make it look like that’s how someone got in. But that seems unlikely to me.

Thinking more on my previous post, from what I have read, Sue often worked afternoons/evenings. Now, in no way am I trying to say anything negative about Sue, so I will use myself as an example. At 19 years old if I would have had the house to myself I absolutely would have had my boyfriend over. I could easily see us smoking pot, having sex or just hanging out, eating food, etc.

Could Sue have been doing this? That would explain how someone knew where the key was and knew the house was unoccupied during the day.

I read on the thread here that Sue wanted to introduce her mom and sister to “Dale”. Maybe Sue and Dale were meeting up like I mentioned above. He calls her at work, she changes into a skirt for a quickie in the car and then plans on going home. Dale had other plans.

There are several Dales that were or are incarcerated in Minnesota.
Offender Search Results

So many questions...

SSwedell.jpg
SSwedell1.jpg
SSwedell2.jpg
SSwedell3.jpg

The image on the right is age-progressed to 48 years.

Name: Susan Anne Swedell
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 19, 1988
Location Last Seen: Lake Elmo, Washington County, Minnesota

Physical Description
Date of Birth: February 13, 1968
Race: White
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 100 lbs
Hair Color: Sandy/Light Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Sue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Ms. Swedell had extensive dental work; Ears are pierced.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Winter jacket, short skirt.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: None

Circumstances of Disappearance
Swedell was last seen on January 19, 1988 as she left work at a Kmart in Oak Park Heights, bound for an evening of movies with her mother and sister at home in Lake Elmo.

On the night of her disappearance, a snowy evening, she called her mom to let her know she planned on coming home. Just before leaving the store at the end of her shift, Susan changed her clothes out of the red pantsuit she had worn for her shift and into a mini skirt. Later, a gas station clerk let her leave her overheated car at the gas station on the corner of Manning Avenue and Highway 5, a mile from home. When she walked out, she walked up to a man who was pumping gas. She talked to him for a few minutes and then got into his car. Witnesses described him as unshaven, tall with shoulder length, curly hair, well built and wearing a leather jacket.

When Sue hadn't come home by late evening, her mom and sister called the Washington County Sheriff's Office. Deputies found her car at the gas station, which was closed. Swedell's drivers license was found in her car. Thinking she may have tried to walk home -- in the midst of a storm that dumped 7.5 inches of snow on the metro area -- they searched roads and ditches. Investigators didn't learn she had left the gas station with a man until the next day. For a while they treated her as a runaway. A mechanic later told Sue's mother that the petcock on the radiator had been loosened somehow and the car had no water in it, so it overheated. As they investigated some of her acquaintances and learned her car had probably been tampered with, they came to suspect foul play.

At the time of the disappearance, Susan's family were renting a home in downtown Lake Elmo. Susan had graduated from Stillwater High School and was working two jobs. She attended the University of Wisconsin-River Falls for a semester, but found that she was not yet prepared to attend college away from home. She was active at Christ Lutheran Church. She is described as naive for her age and very trusting of people. She was very close to her sister. Foul play is suspected in Swedell's case.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Washington County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Chuck Aldean
Agency Phone Number: 651-430-7850
Agency E-Mail: sheriff@co.washington.mn.us
Agency Case Number: 95019042
NCIC Case Number: M282670457
NamUs Case Number: 335
Information Source(s)
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension
NamUs
Spotlight on Crime
Stillwater Gazette
Lake Elmo Leader
343DFMN - Susan Anne Swedell

Is anyone actively looking into Susan's disappearance? Does anyone have any police information they can give me? I remember this happening and would like to help in the case. I was 15 at the time and she lived 45 minutes from me (less now with new Hwy's). It was about the same time that a guy showed up on the gravel road, outside our house, where I grew up. Scary things were happening in Minnesota at that time.
I agree wholeheartedly! VERY scary things for kids happening in Minnesota around then. I feel very strongly about this case, and I would like more info as well, and to be more involved. Something about this eats away at me. I know she's out there. We need to find her, and I want to help.

Susan Anne Swedell
  • susan_anne_swedell_1.jpg
  • susan_anne_swedell_2.jpg
  • susan_anne_swedell_3.jpg

• susan_anne_swedell_5.jpg
  • susan_anne_swedell_8.jpg

First 3 photos; Swedell, circa 1988; Age-progression to age 48 (circa 2016); Sketch of unidentified man

• Missing Since 01/19/1988
  • Missing From Lake Elmo, Minnesota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/13/1968 (51)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A short skirt, a sweater, a black down jacket and earrings.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Sandy brown hair, hazel eyes. Swedell's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Sue. She has had extensive dental work. Swedell wears eyeglasses; she's very nearsighted and wouldn't be able to see well without them.
Details of Disappearance
Swedell was employed at the K-Mart retail store in Oak Park Heights, Minnesota in 1988. She phoned her family members from work at 4:00 p.m. on January 19, 1988.

Swedell said that she planned to go straight home after her shift ended to watch a movie. She changed into a short skirt before she departed from work, which was considered odd due to the snowy conditions at the time.

Swedell's vehicle, a maroon 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass, overheated during her drive to her residence. She stopped at a gasoline station at the corner of Manning Avenue north and Highway 5, approximately one mile from her home in Lake Elmo, Minnesota. The attendant allowed her to park her car at the establishment.

The employee told authorities that Swedell entered a vehicle driven by an unidentified male shortly afterwards. The man appeared to have been waiting for Swedell near the station. He is described as having shoulder-length curly sandy brown hair and a well-built physique.

The witness said that the man was tall and was unshaven, and wore a leather jacket. A sketch of him is posted with this case summary. His vehicle was a light-colored older model car with sport wheels; it was in good shape, but was dirty. Swedell never returned home and has not been heard from again.

When authorities searched Swedell's car, they found her driver's license, purse and eyeglasses inside it. Swedell's mother had the vehicle towed to a repair shop. Mechanics discovered the petcock on the radiator had been loosened, and the car had no water in it, which explains why it overheated.

Investigators theorized someone loosened the petcock deliberately and followed Swedell's car, waiting for it to malfunction so they could offer her a ride.

Swedell's mother believes her daughter came back to their apartment a few days after her disappearance. She stated there was an odor of a sweetish-smelling smoke in the residence and dirty dishes in the sink, and the house's spare key had been moved.

The red pantsuit Swedell had been wearing on the day of her disappearance, before she changed into her skirt, was found balled up under her bed. There was no sign of Swedell herself at the home, however, and nothing was missing. It's unclear whether she was ever actually there.

Swedell attended the University of Wisconsin at River Falls for two semesters after she graduated Stillwater High School, but she decided she was not ready to live away from home and returned to live with her mother and younger sister.

She worked two part-time jobs at the time of her disappearance, and was active at Christ Lutheran Church, where she sang in the choir and played hand bells.

Swedell had been using telephone chat lines to talk to boys in the weeks prior to her disappearance. She had also been receiving telephone calls at work from a man named Dale. It is not known if the person is connected to her disappearance. Swedell's family describes her as bubbly and sociable but very naive.

Authorities detected activity on Swedell's Social Security number in 2006, but it turned out to be a case of identity theft. Foul play is suspected in Swedell's case.
Investigating Agency
  • Washington County Sheriff's Office
  • 651-430-7810
  • 651-430-7850
Source Information

"When police searched her car the next day, they found her glasses, driver’s license and purse"

I find this one of the most baffling bits......if anyone got in a car with anybody, unless forced,which is not said to be the case, they would not leave their purse and glasses behind, one forgotten maybe at a push...but both, no way!. I guess it all checked out....but i would be suspicious of the whole 'got in a car' theory and take a closer look at the attendant who gave it.

"When police searched her car the next day, they found her glasses, driver’s license and purse"

I find this one of the most baffling bits......if anyone got in a car with anybody, unless forced,which is not said to be the case, they would not leave their purse and glasses behind, one forgotten maybe at a push...but both, no way!. I guess it all checked out....but i would be suspicious of the whole 'got in a car' theory and take a closer look at the attendant who gave it.

I totally agree, I wouldn’t leave my glasses or purse behind if I was getting into someone else’s car. It’s baffling.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back