Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I PROMISE you his life is in danger here in California. If he is ANYWHERE allowed to be housed with other inmates, he is toast ! You CAN'T kill 2 babies, especially bashing their heads in with a sledge hammer. Inmates are incredibly resourceful getting "paperwork" (Court Documents) / Snitches etc to confirm their crime.
BBM:
I always heard them called "jackets".
Usually, the inmates get a hold of those before the convicted inmate (he's not a new fish because of his prior incarcerations) gets to the prison. And you are absolutely right about the MM as far as CM throwing their name around to get "street cred".
Anywhere the prison admin puts him, he still has to watch his back. Where there's a will, there's a way, and inmates have a lot of time to devise plans to get to targets.

Now that the conviction is in, I find this stuff by far the most fascinating.

IMO you picked up on a major clue here. Wonder if the detectives were on to this?
I don't think the DA was. Imes mucked up a bit in his closing when he wasn't aware Merritt was at the house on the 2nd. Defense corrected him.

What would Summer tell us about those last days, weeks and months leading up to the murders?

That is what was on my mind when I woke up this morning. You see, I experienced a similar dynamic where an abuser tried to dig into my life.

It's insidious, and here is what happens.

Joe, as the victim, is caught between his loyalty to his wife, and his loyalty to his "friend". He'll always be trying to make it right. Trying to mediate. Joe is confused by Summer's hostility to CM. Old "Chase" is a great guy. Everyone likes him but you. Why can't you get on? And to CM. Why wind Summer up like that? You get on with everyone else - you are earning me grief man!

None of this is accidental. The abuser intentionally seeks to damage Joey's relationship with Summer to increase his control over his victim. CM bad mouths Summer and the kids to Joey's family - indeed whenever he can. He poisons people against her.

Joe will begin to resent being piggy in the middle all the time and fight with Summer about Chase. That's what happens. You spend more and more time fighting about this poisonous person in your lives.

Summer doesn't get why Joe can't see it. But here is the truly evil part.

CM shows his real face to Summer. The one Joe never sees. It's not that Summer is way more perceptive than Joe. It is that Chase reveals himself to her. This is why Summer is isolated. Chase is charming to everyone except her. They all know the nice Chase who is down on his luck. She knows the evil guy under the skin.

Summer resents this person in her life. She resents Joe for bringing him into the home. She fights with Joe because he won't listen. Because he's similar to an abused wife. He blames himself. He believes Chase's sob stories. He always hopes for a resolution. A candle of loyalty still burns.

This is where the abuser cranks up the tension. He is always there - including unannounced. He is calling all the time.

He knows the precise grapple points to hook in. The things you share that can't be ignored. Maybe your house project. Maybe your business. Your money.

Always money. Oh how Summer resented the money as she saw Joe get used time and again. Remember its not just Joe's money. They are married. It's her money. It's her money that CM cons. So what better place to stoke up a new conflict than over money?

It can take years to dig out of this abusive cycle. And it is not a straight line process. You can have a year of seemingly better times, before a new crisis hits.

IMO Summer was winning but sadly we can never know what her and Joe decided about Chase. She was silenced. What we do know is that Joe had slashed Chase's role in 2009. What we do know is things were on the up for the McStays. New home, increasing sales, great clients ....

What we do know is the abuser became a heavy presence in their lives in the last weeks

What we do know is he then did something so outrageous that it was certain to cause a huge ruction between Summer and Joe ... Something that would make Summer wildly angry. Something Joe might have to hide from Summer.

What would Summer tell us about those last days and hours? What did she find out? What boundary did she finally draw?

My 02c

BBM: This is so true. I do believe that there are people, and Summer was one of them, who are far more perceptive about other people and their motives than some; however, this point about him showing himself to Summer is what makes these abusers/manipulators so evil and effective. They alienate and sideline the one who knows (in this case Summer) creating the illusion that that person is the problem, all the while essentially "rubbing it in that person's face".

It makes that person increasingly angry, and often they lash out more and more in retaliation and in attempts to rectify the situation (in this case, likely fighting with Joey, maybe family). Sadly, that "lashing out" often reinforces the negative attitudes that the abuser has subtly and masterfully planted about the person.

I know this pattern well, and there's something terrifying about this "showing of himself". In fact, it's done to terrify. In my case, the abuser is viewed by virtually everyone who knows him almost as a saint, all the while overtly showing his evil side to me and a couple other people. We are the crazy ones. We are the bad ones. And most people, sad to say, are totally taken in.

Great observations.

I think he had trouble answering because he was thinking to himself about the "real actual last time he saw him" which would have been burying him in desert with rest of family, and he was struggling because he could not give that answer.
Then the 2nd to last time he saw him was probably when he was in the act of killing him and he could not give that answer either.
So the 3rd to last time he saw him when they were discussing (or arguing) about whatever news Joey was giving him was probably ok to use that answer and just leave out any arguing or yelling parts to make it seem like a normal business meeting.

I can see where that question stumped him.
Its a great observation that he had major trouble with that question.

Oh, come on Hatfield: We call know that the "3rd to last time Chase saw him" was when Joey drove all the way to Chik FilA to hand him a $100 check (or some such amount), so that they would then continue on their "alternative accounting", by which Joey would teach Chase to create checks from his account, via a series of ...telephone calls! Then, with Joey's express permission, to impersonate him at Quickbooks and ask to delete the account.

I'd say that makes perfect sense: Do all the important things via series of phone calls, but drive a couple of hours to hand someone a $100 check. Oh yes, perfect sense. NOT.

BBM:
I always heard them called "jackets".
Usually, the inmates get a hold of those before the convicted inmate (he's not a new fish because of his prior incarcerations) gets to the prison. And you are absolutely right about the MM as far as CM throwing their name around to get "street cred".
Anywhere the prison admin puts him, he still has to watch his back. Where there's a will, there's a way, and inmates have a lot of time to devise plans to get to targets.

My sister worked as a prison nurse. She said the inmates would make appointments for other inmates to get them out of the cell. She said when they left her office, they were always scared and looking around expecting to get jumped.

He also commented on the thread that it's very rare for murders to occur in prisons.
Someone had commented that child murderers get killed "all the time" in prison, but apparently it happens very rarely because prisons don't want to risk a lawsuit against them, so they take precautions to prevent it.
Assault in prisons, however, has been increasing. Or at least the number of allegations have increased drastically.
Apparently most of them have proved to be inconclusive.
Probably because they can't find witnesses since nobody in prison is willing to talk. Just a guess. Imo

Where I live there are multiple prisons side by side. I am not sure how many or which is which. That murderer from Balto Syad (from the podcast) something is housed in 1 of them.

I can tell you there are murders in prison. I see it in my newspaper from time to time. Also stabbings. Usually see guards guarding a room in the ER or Floor when I'm At the hospital.

Maybe google Cresaptown, MD prisons. Should give a count.

I hate the prisons are here. Brought a lot of the drugs.

I did a really interesting exercise with his February 2010 interview. I separated out all the parts where he is talking about lunch at CFA, and all the other parts where he is narrating every other time he interacted with anyone, from Joey to Dan to Susan to Mike. What is interesting is that you won't find anywhere in his narration about CFA a "he said" or "I said" statement. That is how he narrates, as evidenced in all the other examples. What he says about CFA repeatedly is "we went over" xyz.

I didn't post it because it's not 100% evidence they didn't meet, it could be a/ they didn't meet or b/ they met and he can't reveal what was said.

But it does show, IMO, he was lying about what he said happened. Add that to there being no evidence they met and the reason IMO that Joey fatefully let him in the house later. Coincidentally once it had turned dark outside.

JMO

I have just been reviewing the prosecution & defense closing arguments, and don't know anything else about the case except that Merritt was found guilty. I have a question, has any of this book, apparently a work in progress, been released? Seems pretty self-serving in the snippets Merritt decided to release to dailymail. The other question, did Merritt really pass a lie detector test? Who administered it? Probably not Tammy Lee.

Joseph McStay feared wife was POISONING him before they disappeared claims book | Daily Mail Online

I don't think jurors were shown that clip on CNN where Merritt made a really disgusting comment about Summer.

Can't have anything inflammatory in evidence can we, McGee.

Oh no, heaven forbid that the jury would get a complete and true picture of the defendant--- this happens in almost all trials so the jurors never know all of the bad stuff the perp has done before they committed the crime they are on trial for (allegedly of course).

I did a really interesting exercise with his February 2010 interview. I separated out all the parts where he is talking about lunch at CFA, and all the other parts where he is narrating every other time he interacted with anyone, from Joey to Dan to Susan to Mike. What is interesting is that you won't find anywhere in his narration about CFA a "he said" or "I said" statement. That is how he narrates, as evidenced in all the other examples. What he says about CFA repeatedly is "we went over" xyz.

I didn't post it because it's not 100% evidence they didn't meet, it could be a/ they didn't meet or b/ they met and he can't reveal what was said.

But it does show, IMO, he was lying about what he said happened. Add that to there being no evidence they met and the reason IMO that Joey fatefully let him in the house later. Coincidentally once it had turned dark outside.

JMO

Nice investigative sleuthing. I like it and I agree with you that this hints that the meeting at the CFA probably never happened.

CM will ALWAYS need to be protected by the State, IMO. The State will accomplish this by housing him with either 1 inmate or alone these days. He will always be shackled everytime he leaves his cell. The guards will have to make sure the hallway(s) are clear everytime he has to have med call/visit/etc. His LIFE will depend upon the security he receives as a DP inmate, IMO.
I recently read an article about Scott Peterson being on death row and by all accounts he's a well liked prisoner with friends and various privileges. Apparently San Quentin has an area for death row inmates that's cozier than the rest of death row and it houses Scott Peterson. Do you have any idea how it's decided who will be in the cushy area and why is Peterson still alive?

I love that you have inside experience and information due to your job. Despite what Merritt may think most of us have never seen the inside of a prison. Lol
Killer Scott Peterson living a 'cushy' life on death row

I think there is much to be learned from what the killer knew but never said to the detectives when he had the opportunity and was asked about Joey's illness, when it was important to him that they think the family left of their own free will, Joey was probably just sick from stress, and had no enemies -

Merritt, who worked with McStay in his water features business, was arrested in 2014. Merritt had been working on a book about the McStay family murders when he was taken into custody, CBS News reported at the time.

In the book, titled "Afraid of the Light," Merrick claimed Joseph McStay had been concerned his wife may have been poisoning him.

California man guilty of killing family of 4 found in desert graves

JMO
I find the book Merritt supposedly wrote a few chapters on weird. What possessed him to write a book around that time? And when he told LE he would send them a copy he never did. What ever happened to it unless of course it was another lie?
I find the title very strange as well. Who was afraid of the light exactly? Was it in relation to death? When people have a near death experience they claim they see a light. Or was it more about CM being afraid of the light considering what he had done? His darkness in fact of committing these evil crimes?

Where I live there are multiple prisons side by side. I am not sure how many or which is which. That murderer from Balto Syad (from the podcast) something is housed in 1 of them.

I can tell you there are murders in prison. I see it in my newspaper from time to time. Also stabbings. Usually see guards guarding a room in the ER or Floor when I'm At the hospital.

Maybe google Cresaptown, MD prisons. Should give a count.

I hate the prisons are here. Brought a lot of the drugs.
Yes, I did not mean that they do not occur at all, only that it is rare.
The number of inmates murdered in jail and prison has steadily declined significantly since the 1980's. At that time there were about 54 deaths per one hundred thousand inmates. Today that number is more like 3 or 4 murders per 100,000 inmates.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers because it varies year to year but it still safer for a criminal to be in prison than out on the streets.

However, as I said, the number of reported assaults are much higher, especially sexual assault, but those cases are difficult to prove. Imo

I have just been reviewing the prosecution & defense closing arguments, and don't know anything else about the case except that Merritt was found guilty. I have a question, has any of this book, apparently a work in progress, been released? Seems pretty self-serving in the snippets Merritt decided to release to dailymail. The other question, did Merritt really pass a lie detector test? Who administered it? Probably not Tammy Lee.

Joseph McStay feared wife was POISONING him before they disappeared claims book | Daily Mail Online

The book was written by Meritt---- spare me- what a pile of garbage- who would believe anything that came out of his lying mouth

I find the book Merritt supposedly wrote a few chapters on weird. What possessed him to write a book around that time? And when he told LE he would send them a copy he never did. What ever happened to it unless of course it was another lie?
I find the title very strange as well. Who was afraid of the light exactly? Was it in relation to death? When people have a near death experience they claim they see a light. Or was it more about CM being afraid of the light considering what he had done? His darkness in fact of committing these evil crimes?
I posted about this a long time ago, but there was an old article which stated LE recovered pages of notes for the book at his home.
Whether or not it was valuable evidence or what those pages included I have no idea.
I was not aware the book was ever published or what the title was. Imo

I posted about this a long time ago, but there was an old article which stated LE recovered pages of notes for the book at his home.
Whether or not it was valuable evidence or what those pages included I have no idea.
I was not aware the book was ever published or what the title was. Imo
Yes i recall about LE finding some notes and think that info. was in the 300 page search warrant PDF document i read.
And don't think there was ever a book he wrote that was published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla