Found Deceased NC - Ethan Danny Britt, 14, GASTON COUNTY, 10 Jun 2019

ADKGemini

Reaction score
Day 3: Desperate search continues for missing teen on flooded South Fork Catawba River

June 11, 2019 at 9:50 AM EDT - Updated June 13 at 7:34 AM

GASTON COUNTY, N.C. (WBTV) - A father is asking for prayers as crews continue searching for 14-year-old Ethan Danny Britt, who went missing while swimming in the South Fork Catawba River Monday night.

Another teen, David Winder, was rescued after he became stranded on an island Tuesday morning. Rescue crews said Winder was conscious and talking when he was transported.

Officials say the two went swimming in the South Fork Catawba River around 6:30 p.m. Monday in area off Stanly Spencer-Mountain Road in Lowell. Both teens were swept away in the current, officials said, and were taken over the dam.

Just after 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, officials released a photo of Britt. He is described as a white male, 5′4″ tall and 140 lbs, with brown hair and brown eyes and a scar under his right eye. Britt’s father provided a picture to WBTV Tuesday evening.

JXHMIZQ6RRCDRLSJ62AKOCL5T4.jpg

14-year-old Ethan Danny Britt went missing while swimming on the South Fork Catawba River on Monday, June 10, 2019. (Source: Provided by Family)
Residents along the water are asked to be on the lookout for any signs of him. Britt’s father is asking the community to please pray for his son.

On Tuesday morning, a passerby called 911 after seeing one person in the water. Rescue crews say they had to use a swift water boat to rescue Winder, which was difficult because of moving currents and debris.

In the 911 call released Wednesday, the caller told police that they saw a person, presumably Winder, stranded in the water on the South Fork River, yelling for help.

Another photo of Ethan:
ethan%20_1560286682013.jpg_7384094_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

One of the teens was able to make it to the island and managed to wave down a truck that was on the bridge, emergency officials said.

Crews were able to recover him from the island. He told rescuers that he and the other boy, 14-year-old Ethan Danny Britt, got separated while exploring the river area. Rescuers are continuing to search for the teen.

Anyone who has seen or had contact with Ethan is urged to contact the Gaston County Police.

Search for teen swimmer who went missing on South Fork Catawba River continues

This is literally in my back yard. 4 miles from my house. They have been out full force looking for him. I just dont think he could survive going over that dam the way the water pulls under.... I'm incredibly hopeful though

This is literally in my back yard. 4 miles from my house. They have been out full force looking for him. I just dont think he could survive going over that dam the way the water pulls under.... I'm incredibly hopeful though

Is this a river that teens often swim in? It sounds incredibly dangerous. I hope he is found safe, but it's been 3 days already. :(

I have lived here for 35 years , since I was 5, and I've never swimmed in it but have fished in it many times. There are several areas to enter it so I'm sure some spots may be popular for swimming. We had major flash flooding over the weekend and last week which really caused the water to be incredibly rapid.
I think it's very likely they had swam it before and underestimated the force of the current due to the flooding. It runs completely through the county and into South Carolina. He , or his body, could very well be into south Carolina now. ( which theyve even asked people living along it to be searching their properties). I'll try find a map that explains better.

Last edited:
As you can see from the map. It feeds into lake Wylie SC. Duke energy uses it so there are several dams along the way.
The water is normally calm unless the dams are releasing ( in the areas I've personally been too. ) so local kids swimming in it regularly is very possible.
Google Maps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-222814_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-222814_Chrome.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190613-222805_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-222805_Chrome.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 8
I am in what they call the Triad area just north of here and that article stated it had not rained in 25 days. It has rained a good amount everyday for past week.I have received flood alerts everyday and there are roads washed away, so I am not sure that statement is correct.Sorry not trying to nitpick but they should not report that statement when people are swimming in these rivers or driving through a flood area.

Day 3: Desperate search continues for missing teen on flooded South Fork Catawba River

Officials say the two went swimming in the South Fork Catawba River around 6:30 p.m. Monday in area off Stanly Spencer-Mountain Road in Lowell. Both teens were swept away in the current, officials said, and were taken over the dam.

The OEM guy in the video said they went into the water around G. W. Hardy Road and the rescued teen was seen just north of the bridge on Stanley Spencer Mountain Road. I "think" the dam is where the red pin is.

Google Maps

I am in what they call the Triad area just north of here and that article stated it had not rained in 25 days. It has rained a good amount everyday for past week.I have received flood alerts everyday and there are roads washed away, so I am not sure that statement is correct.Sorry not trying to nitpick but they should not report that statement when people are swimming in these rivers or driving through a flood area.
I’m in the triad as well! :)

Oh, prayers for the family and all that loved him. Kind of hits home for me as I live in a section of NC that is the core of the Britt family. About 75% of my neighbors are Britts.

RIP Ethan.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa