Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
An important point about this NYPost article:

"A Post reporter at one of the resorts noted the Vodka in the room had a strange, potent smell resembling pure alcohol" This could be either from methanol or from isopropanol. Both have a stronger, more chemical "alcohol" smell than conventional ethanolic beverages, like vodka or gin. Methanol is very toxic. Isopropanol is not as toxic as methanol but it is still not drinkable. Ethanol, of course, is toxic too. Toxic enough to kill you, so that's why beverage spirits are not 100% ethanol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with methanol added to make it too toxic to drink.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/13/autho...quor-as-potential-cause-of-dr-tourist-deaths/

NY Post article stated this:

Of the 470 reported incidents on the website in June, 254 originated at the Hard Rock as of June 11, according to xxxxxxxxxx.
https://nypost.com/2019/06/14/bride-recalls-disastrous-wedding-at-deadly-dominican-resort/

This health crisis could be caused by some substance in bootlegged alcohol, but how does one account for the 10-yr-old that became ill at that DR wedding where so many became ill? Maybe the 10-yr-old's case was some "normal" diarrhea illness? Maybe the 10-yr-old drank alcohol when no one was looking? Was there a food dish cooked in alcohol that the 10-yr-old consumed?

I think the gastrointestinal problems are a different set of issues and some form of "tourista". I think the bridal party came across a bacteria their digestive system did not tolerate well.

There's a very buff policeman ever 10 feet in NYC. It's safe. There's 38,422 cops.
View attachment 188936
How buff? ;) May need to make a trip to NYC...

I feel it's all about location, location, location. Most of these incidents are coming from the same resort. It's in dire need of an investigation, but I am not sure if the government is willing to do that.

“The Dominicans said that I had to sign papers giving them permission to take her to a funeral home, and if I didn’t do that in four hours, they were going to consider her a 'Jane Doe.' They said I had to give them permission to cremate her or embalm her, or I would never get my mother back.”

"If they classified my mother as a Jane Doe, they told me I would be forfeiting the body," Cox said. "I will never receive a death certificate. I will never receive my mother's remains. ... They did conduct an autopsy, but they will not tell me what it says.”

In desperation, Cox said, he asked if with his mother's ashes, he could get a tube of her blood to have it tested in the United States, but was refused.

What's more, Cox said, U.S. Embassy officials told them that the Dominican authorities maintain that they cannot perform a toxicological test because their machines are broken. "The U.S. Embassy communicated that to me and said that they don't know when the machines will be fixed," said Cox.

Son of tourist who died Monday at Dominican resort says he's being pressured to allow cremating or embalming before body's return to US

Seems like the medical community is in on it. Pay some one to spike the alcohol or sabotage the air filters at different resorts and shake them down for a few hundred at the resort and maybe a couple of grand at the local hospital. Because they are paying shills to spike it or plant it, the method isn’t exact and they lose a few along the way. Medical community covers for it, “heart attack”, nothing to see here, move along. “Sorry we won’t sign to send the bodies back without cremation”. IMOO, just a thought.

Yes this is common in the Caribbean, or just the regular bottles set out on a table. The liquor bottles are topped off by the staff and wine or champagne just replaced. So, while the bottle might say "Absolute" vodka, you have no idea what it really is. Something cheap of course. But in some places, like we have seen in Mexico, it has been replaced with alcohol that is very very cheap, locally produced and contains methanol because there is no quality control in the distilling process.
While the resorts may claim that they buy only from reputable venders, that may not be the case. That might be the hotel's policy, but a single greedy/shady manager or purchasing officer could be telling corporate HQ he is buying quality, but really buying from a local producer, and then just pocketing the difference. The Resort owners will have to go through everything, throw it all out, and put in place new procedures to ensure quality. But even that will be difficult. D.R. has some very serious problems right now and its not something that is going to change soon. Dominicans are wonderful people. But sadly, I would have to say i would steer clear of there for a vacation.

100%. If this is human caused it's so typical of dumb criminals. They go for quick money but then don't understand the long-term consequences.

This is probably going to devastate an already terrible economy.

“The Dominicans said that I had to sign papers giving them permission to take her to a funeral home, and if I didn’t do that in four hours, they were going to consider her a 'Jane Doe.' They said I had to give them permission to cremate her or embalm her, or I would never get my mother back.”

"If they classified my mother as a Jane Doe, they told me I would be forfeiting the body," Cox said. "I will never receive a death certificate. I will never receive my mother's remains. ... They did conduct an autopsy, but they will not tell me what it says.”

In desperation, Cox said, he asked if with his mother's ashes, he could get a tube of her blood to have it tested in the United States, but was refused.

What's more, Cox said, U.S. Embassy officials told them that the Dominican authorities maintain that they cannot perform a toxicological test because their machines are broken. "The U.S. Embassy communicated that to me and said that they don't know when the machines will be fixed," said Cox.

Son of tourist who died Monday at Dominican resort says he's being pressured to allow cremating or embalming before body's return to US

Everyone needs to boycott this hellhole. Done. It should be over. I'm sorry.

FYI

Safety and security - Dominican Republic travel advice
“Incidents of assault, rape and sexual aggression against foreigners have occurred, including at beach resorts. In some cases, hotel employees or fellow guests have been implicated. Be cautious when dealing with strangers or recent acquaintances, be wary of rides or other invitations, avoid walking alone at night and don’t leave drinks unattended.”
Also FYI
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/dominican-republic-trDominican Republic Travel Advisoryavel-advisory.html

When we traveled there I never even thought twice about it before. It was just convenient free booze. (it was all inclusive). Never had a problem. But now, I don't think I would drink it. I suppose it depends on where we were. A place like D.R. or Jamaica or Mexico or something, no. Bahamas, or Cayman, its probably ok.

God. Never ever anywhere. Not after this. It's not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998