Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone needs to boycott this hellhole. Done. It should be over. I'm sorry.

ITA. I lived in Puerto Rico for a number of years and there is a big problem with illegal Dominicans who enter there with many continuing on to stateside. Not a good indication things are going well with its own citizens. Needless to say, it’s not on my bucket list.
JMO
According to article 22nd most corrupt country.
Dominican Republic, world’s 22nd most corrupt countryDominican Republic, world’s 22nd most corrupt country

ITA. I lived in Puerto Rico for a number of years and there is a big problem with illegal Dominicans who enter there with many continuing on to stateside. Not a good indication things are going well with its own citizens. Needless to say, it’s not on my bucket list.
JMO
According to article 22nd most corrupt country.
Dominican Republic, world’s 22nd most corrupt countryDominican Republic, world’s 22nd most corrupt country

And DR's nextdoor neighbor is the only 3rd world country in the American continents: Haiti

And DR's nextdoor neighbor is the only 3rd world country in the American continents: Haiti

Although Haiti is considered among the least developed nations, many more than Haiti in the America's are considered third world nations. DR is a third world country too as is much of central and southern America and Mexico. However now they mostly use the term "developing nations".

Whatever it is it's poor and relies primarily on tourism. If desperate people poisoned something to make a buck they've really made things even worse.

Not if u can find a non American one...you know something I don’t know?

Were the Canadian deaths that I have posted here earlier are just being dismissed as irrelevent? Of course they won't be included in the FBI count, but I really don't see any reason why they can't receive the respect they deserve on this thread.

Not all mysterious DR deaths are Americans. Up thread I mentioned my Canadian friend who "fell in the shower" at a resort in Punta Cana. Her family never believed the report. Her obituary just reads that she died in the DR. Her case never went to press.

I also listed another report of a Canadian woman's death.

Winnipeg mother returns home without answers after daughter’s death in the Dominican Republic

Manitoba family puzzled after woman found below balconies dies on Dominican trip

I can also add the young fellow from Montreal who died from falling from a balcony, and another man from the same group who fell, from the same balcony! Doesn't that mark their case as odd.

Dizziness and euphoria are a couple of the symptoms anti-freeze poisoning, and consistent with the symptoms of some of those included in the list of eight Americans who died.

Bishop's University student dies in accident in Dominican Republic

No one expects the FBI to investigate cases from non-Americans, but it is incorrect and dismissive to claim that all mysterious deaths are Americans.

Last edited:
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning. The link provides excellent detailed information, but a summary of symptoms include:
  • Signs of inebriation are among the first symptoms to appear after ethylene glycol ingestion.
  • Delays in initiating treatment can result in more severe adverse effects.
  • Ethylene glycol poisoning through ingestion can cause noncardiogenic pulmonary edema and ARDS.
  • Ethylene glycol poisoning can cause dysrhythmias and heart failure

Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Toxicity: What Are the Physiological Effects of Ethylene Glycol Poisoning? | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM

I stayed in one of these hotels 2 years ago this week.

I am relieved I don’t drink alcohol as I ended up with a stomach line infection while I was out there and had to come home and get put on antibiotics for 6 weeks. The hygiene in these places are awful and we was staying in a 5* all inclusive hotel so I was shocked by the food just sitting out for hours in the heat. By the end of my first week I was living on bread and butter and swore I would never go back. I have been all over the world and this is the only place where I have ended up sick and bad and then got home and needed to go straight to the doctors.

Seems like the medical community is in on it. Pay some one to spike the alcohol or sabotage the air filters at different resorts and shake them down for a few hundred at the resort and maybe a couple of grand at the local hospital. Because they are paying shills to spike it or plant it, the method isn’t exact and they lose a few along the way. Medical community covers for it, “heart attack”, nothing to see here, move along. “Sorry we won’t sign to send the bodies back without cremation”. IMOO, just a thought.

I posted a very similar theory a few pages back. I find it very odd that medical treatment depends on (high amounts of) cash being paid up front. Medical treatment is usually quite cheap in developing nations, I know because I live in one. I once visited the emergency room in the middle of the night because of rapid heartbeat. The examination, ECG, medication given right there, and some to take home, cost me altogether around $5. It really looks like the doctors in those resorts in DR are extremely overcharging tourists if they ask for 100s of $$. Very suspicious. And now demanding the body be cremated or embalmed - it all sounds very off and insensitive to say the least. Those poor families who have to deal with this on top of the emotional shock after their loved one unexpectedly died. They should take a lawyer to get their relative's body back intact. Isn't it legally theirs? On what grounds does DR demand a cremation?

Sounds like DR is in full damage control by now.

Were the Canadian deaths that I have posted here earlier are just being dismissed as irrelevent? Of course they won't be included in the FBI count, but I really don't see any reason why they can't receive the respect they deserve on this thread.

Not all mysterious DR deaths are Americans. Up thread I mentioned my Canadian friend who "fell in the shower" at a resort in Punta Cana. Her family never believed the report. Her obituary just reads that she died in the DR. Her case never went to press.

Winnipeg mother returns home without answers after daughter’s death in the Dominican Republic

Manitoba family puzzled after woman found below balconies dies on Dominican trip

I can also add the young fellow from Montreal who died from falling from a balcony, and another man from the same group who fell, from the same balcony! Doesn't that mark their case as odd.

Dizziness and euphoria are a couple of the symptoms anti-freeze poisoning, and consistent with the symptoms of some of those included in the list of eight Americans who died.

No one expects the FBI to investigate cases from non-Americans, but it is incorrect and dismissive to claim that all mysterious deaths are Americans.

Thanks for posting this. I was on a local news site and read about the couple a few minutes ago. Does Daniel have a thread of her own? She should. I can't even imagine what her mother has been through. Places that are dependant on tourism like resorts and cruise ships, don't have much of an incentive to be forthcoming if a crime or death reflects badly on them.

I read an article this morning that stated after the Jonestown Massacre legislation was passed giving the FBI the authority to investigate any case when an American citizen is involved.

Also several former long term FBI agents have said in the media that the FBI is doing their own parallel investigation in the DR.

All who I've seen speak out publically says the FBI will get to the bottom of all of these sudden deaths, and what happened, why, and by whom. I agree.

I am sure any other country who have had their own citizens die suddenly are also on the ground working this case.

It would be interesting to know just how many tourists wound up having to go to a ER clinic or wound up in the hospital there with the same kind of symptoms.

Jmho

I stayed in one of these hotels 2 years ago this week.

I am relieved I don’t drink alcohol as I ended up with a stomach line infection while I was out there and had to come home and get put on antibiotics for 6 weeks. The hygiene in these places are awful and we was staying in a 5* all inclusive hotel so I was shocked by the food just sitting out for hours in the heat. By the end of my first week I was living on bread and butter and swore I would never go back. I have been all over the world and this is the only place where I have ended up sick and bad and then got home and needed to go straight to the doctors.

When you were picking out where to stay how did the hotel market itself? Those all inclusive vacation packages or cruises seem to give a sense of safety, like you can travel to an exotic place with the comforts of home. A false sense of security, unlimited alcohol that is a predator's dream. It also is a recipe for disaster.
Do you think the poor hygiene you witnessed was a hotel trying to cut costs by not throwing away food that wasn't safe to eat, or is that common practice in the Dominican Republic?

When you were picking out where to stay how did the hotel market itself? Those all inclusive vacation packages or cruises seem to give a sense of safety, like you can travel to an exotic place with the comforts of home. A false sense of security, unlimited alcohol that is a predator's dream. It also is a recipe for disaster.
Do you think the poor hygiene you witnessed was a hotel trying to cut costs by not throwing away food that wasn't safe to eat, or is that common practice in the Dominican Republic?

Being in the UK countries like Spain and across Europe the prices have shot up massively in the last 5 years so two weeks in the Caribbean all inclusive for £900 each seemed like too much of a good offer to turn down and it was 5*. We was looking at £700 each for a nice hotel in Spain for a
week. It seemed like it was a new country that travel agents was trying out over here to see how popular it would as with the stuff going on with Tunisia/ Turkey and the rising costs in Europe because of the rise in terrorism they was looking at new lower cost counties they could tap into.

I just think we have such stricter hygiene over here that they didn’t see any harm in leaving food out in the midday sun and though out the day. Then what wasn’t used I’m guessing they stuck in fridges and dished up at the next meal. I am the world’s fussiest eater so it wasn’t like I wasn’t careful with what I was eating anyway and yet I obviously ate something contaminated within about the 4th day of being there. It wasn’t just the food being left out.The Staff were not washing their hands the way they should. I saw kids going up to the desert table and just sticking their hands into cakes and ice cream and then walking off. Even the soft drinks were watered down as they didn’t taste the way they should. I stuck to bottled water as that’s pretty much all I drink at home. I was expecting more because we was on a tour package and we even got ripped off booking a excursion and our Rep didn’t do anything and basically said that happens here. Also the excursion was totally unsafe and we was lucky we took our own drinks as we was on a 10 hour trip and we got 1 bottle of water each for that 10 hours and the driver picked up his friends along the way and one of them had a gun. I loved the beach and the weather but that was it and you can get those things elsewhere in a safer environment.

Last edited:

No of course they are not irrelevant. This thread has been discussing suspicious illnesses and deaths that all seem to be connected in some way by the resorts in question and/or the causes of deaths (heart attack and pulmonary edema). Very little information is provided in the Canadian deaths and what is provided doesn’t give a clear connection to the other cases being discussed. We don’t know where any of the Canadians were staying and the causes of deaths are not given as heart attack or pulmonary edema.
JMO but I would think the FBI was looking into any and all suspicious tourist deaths regardless of nationality because #1 it would support any theory that there is some kind of poisoning going on or #2 wether it’s only Americans being targeted.
That said, it does seem that Canada has a real concern for its citizens since they have elevated their travel advisory to a Level 3 and these cases you mentioned could very well have to do with that concern. They very well could also be in the DR investigating and we just don’t know yet.

@asyousay I'm guessing you were cursing yourself for not going to Spain. Salad bars, desert bars, sometimes even buffets at a restaurant are known to come with some risk here in the states. At chuck-e-cheese the pizza is good but you don't want to think how many germs it probably was exposed to as people serve themselves. That is a little different than being on a vacation where you have paid for your meals in advance. You shouldn't expect to be poisoned (given food poisoning) at a place that caters to tourists that aren't familiar with the destination. Hotels are supposed to have clean drinking water and their ice should come from the same source. I wonder if people make a second trip there or at least to that hotel.

Good point, these should all be included in the mysterious death count and investigation.

@asyousay I'm guessing you were cursing yourself for not going to Spain. Salad bars, desert bars, sometimes even buffets at a restaurant are known to come with some risk here in the states. At chuck-e-cheese the pizza is good but you don't want to think how many germs it probably was exposed to as people serve themselves. That is a little different than being on a vacation where you have paid for your meals in advance. You shouldn't expect to be poisoned (given food poisoning) at a place that caters to tourists that aren't familiar with the destination. Hotels are supposed to have clean drinking water and their ice should come from the same source. I wonder if people make a second trip there or at least to that hotel.

Exactly and you expect your hotel reps to help you if you have a issue instead of shrugging their shoulders.

I definitely think back handers went on with the excursions to the hotel to get tourists to book them.

As I said ours was definitely unsafe and we was promised free drinks and food and 1 drink in a boiling hot country for 10 hours wasn’t acceptable. Yet oddly they still had a ton of booze left over but no water. Also our lunch was served at a random stop in the middle of nowhere in a tent and about 4/5 women served us food from dishes that had cling film over them and one dish was called Pigeon pea Rice coz the name alone made me want to vomit. I know Rice is one of the worse things you can eat due to not storing it correctly due to the bacteria it collects so I didn’t eat it. But can you imagine spending £95 each on a day out and you are served cold left overs from god knows where in the middle of nowhere for lunch and 1 bottle of water?!

Last edited:
Exactly and you expect your hotel reps to help you if you have a issue instead of shrugging their shoulders.

I definitely think back handers went on with the excursions to the hotel to get tourists to book them.

As I said ours was definitely unsafe and we was promised free drinks and food and 1 drink in a boiling hot country for 10 hours wasn’t acceptable. Yet oddly they still had a ton of booze left over but no water. Also our lunch was served ar a random stop in the middle of nowhere in a tent and about 4/5 women served us food from dishes that had cling film over them and one dish was called Pigeon pea Rice coz the name alone made me want to vomit. I know Rice is one of the worse things you can eat when cold due to the bacteria it collects so I didn’t eat it. But can you imagine spending £95 each on a day out and you are served cold left overs from god knows where in the middle of nowhere for lunch?

So the food traveled with you from the hotel? Plain rice carries bacteria? Maybe I don't want to know that lol. For that price they could have employed the services of food places local to where you picnicked. Did you get to experience the culture apart from the hotel. The all you can drink thing is great if you want to drink alcohol. Plying guests with booze makes them less likely to have complaints. Does drinking booze help kill bacteria that could be in ice or other parts of a mixed drink? For some reason I believe that even if it isn't really true lol. If you drink that 95 dollars/pounds? (still high) isn't unreasonable but it is way to much for some leftover pigeon. Those all you can drink deals cause people to drink more than they normally would. College age kids that don't know their limits yet seem like they could be in danger of getting alcohol poisoning. Not providing water to match the booze is proof they wanted people drunk. It's not surprising that people die in these places. Alcohol gives the hotels a way to explain some mysterious deaths and blame the victims. Tourists that have been assaulted, or raped might not always report it. They might blame themselves. You didn't drink so you tasted and noticed the disgusting menu that they served. Some people might not even know if they ate or what they ate. That's scary.

So the food traveled with you from the hotel? Plain rice carries bacteria? Maybe I don't want to know that lol. For that price they could have employed the services of food places local to where you picnicked. Did you get to experience the culture apart from the hotel. The all you can drink thing is great if you want to drink alcohol. Plying guests with booze makes them less likely to have complaints. Does drinking booze help kill bacteria that could be in ice or other parts of a mixed drink? For some reason I believe that even if it isn't really true lol. If you drink that 95 dollars/pounds? (still high) isn't unreasonable but it is way to much for some leftover pigeon. Those all you can drink deals cause people to drink more than they normally would. College age kids that don't know their limits yet seem like they could be in danger of getting alcohol poisoning. Not providing water to match the booze is proof they wanted people drunk. It's not surprising that people die in these places. Alcohol gives the hotels a way to explain some mysterious deaths and blame the victims. Tourists that have been assaulted, or raped might not always report it. They might blame themselves. You didn't drink so you tasted and noticed the disgusting menu that they served. Some people might not even know if they ate or what they ate. That's scary.

No the food was at the destination hence why we didn’t eat anything as I said it was a few tents in the middle of nowhere and a couple of toilets and a few random women dishing up food. Like you said when you have been drinking you probably don’t care what food you are given or where you are at. On the trip we got to see most of the island but it was awful to see the sheer poverty on display and makes you really appreciate what you have in life.

We got to visit a school and a classroom of kids spoke to us and everybody was joking and said in the UK/US this would never been allowed to happen a bunch of random tourists just turning up to a school and handing out sweets to kids and interacting with them. But for the kids I guess it’s fun for them to interact with loads of different tourists and they get treats at the end of it. We was told to take small treats for them so most people just took candy.

ETA

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. The spores can survive when rice is cooked. If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea

This is why I don’t muck around with Rice as it’s one of the worst things for food poisoning if not stored correctly once cooked. So somewhere like the Dominican I would never risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy