Korean woman, 63, Missing from Mediterranean Norwegian Cruise Ship, 8 Jun 2019

Here is a question for anyone that has been on a cruise and had a balcony with average rail height.

Can this ever happen?

Lets say a person was just leaning against the rail but the weather and waves were really large. Like when in an airplane with bad turbulance and there is a sudden drop in altitude and the plane drops severely and you feel your stomach want to come up out of your throat,
Does the same thing ever happen on a cruise boat where maybe the edge of the ship hit a big wave and the ship dropped severely enough to where her weight lifted her center of balance enough to go up and over the rail?

Is something like that even possible?

Ive never been on a cruise and dont know how bad the waves and movement of the ship can get in bad windy weather.

They sure can. During one cruise we were on, the waves were splashing over the fourth floor. Walking in the hallways was downright dangerous. I can not see someone on their balcony in the dark in conditions such as that though. I get nauseous looking over the railing at the best of times, and I don't like to walk on the decks in the dark...very spooky!

Your room key is used for every purchase and a record of any alcohol purchases can be given to investigators to see if she may have been intoxicated.
Except that you forget about the alcohol that may be in the room. No way to know what she had to drink beforehand.

If a ship was listing then it is much easier to fall over. I have no idea if that was happening.

Also just because it’s dark outside does not at all mean it’s dark on the balcony. My experience is that you can definitely see the water with the ship lights that are always on.

Balconies are separate and railings are safe...at least on the cruises I have been on. Sometimes, if not always, there are exterior cameras too. I have seen videos of peeps jumping over at night.

Thank you. That is pretty much what I have heard now too and the pics of this particular ship shows that what you say is true.

In the videos you have seen, do they actually show what happened though or just a glimpse of a falling figure once it is off the balcony and heading towards the water? In one account I read (did not see the video), it described it as a blurry infrared image falling through the air I believe. I guess what I mean is it still does not show what happened to cause the fall?

Except that you forget about the alcohol that may be in the room. No way to know what she had to drink beforehand.

If a ship was listing then it is much easier to fall over. I have no idea if that was happening.

Also just because it’s dark outside does not at all mean it’s dark on the balcony. My experience is that you can definitely see the water with the ship lights that are always on.

It still would help to know what she/they had earlier, and been doing, and the mood I guess (although we are unlikely to hear it unless passengers start realizing who the person was and that they saw the couple that night). If she for instance was the type that never had a drink on the cruise, it is unlikely she went back to her room and had one, not a certainty but unlikely.

As to the ship listing, I have heard different accounts from people here. Some have said a ship that size would not be affected, maybe some are but not this size ship? I wonder that myself. It was said two men were saved off a sailing vessel in rough seas around the same time and place but they were on a small personal sized vessel.

I think to me, the part that stands out, is it was stated by her family allegedly that she is a non-swimmer. As a non-swimmer myself I would (1) never choose that route of death; and (2) would not put myself at risk near water (for instance like sitting on the rail for a selfie). That is just me, however.

All jmo.

Wonder if she had some sort of recent medical diagnosis -- and chose her own time instead?

JMHO YMMV

Interesting thought. It certainly happens. I have known of people who have done that, possibly we all have. Not in this manner but by other means.

Certainly possible.

Imo.

As someone who has been living in Korea for a number of years now, I can say that the older generation here are particularly known for breaking the rules and doing whatever they want, whenever they want. Sort of like how in a lot of Western countries it's the young youths that are most disobedient, here it's the opposite way round!

I'm not saying that this view has anything to do with the case but it may be one way of understanding why she may have been sitting/peering over the rail.

Also, the elderly generation in Korea are known to be mostly poor and not very well travelled so it may well have been her first cruise and she just wasn't necessarily aware of the dangers.

I am only speculating though!

As someone who has been living in Korea for a number of years now, I can say that the older generation here are particularly known for breaking the rules and doing whatever they want, whenever they want. Sort of like how in a lot of Western countries it's the young youths that are most disobedient, here it's the opposite way round!

I'm not saying that this view has anything to do with the case but it may be one way of understanding why she may have been sitting/peering over the rail.

Also, the elderly generation in Korea are known to be mostly poor and not very well travelled so it may well have been her first cruise and she just wasn't necessarily aware of the dangers.

I am only speculating though!

Interesting observations. I don't know, I know a few US older people who rebel lol :) I think they hit an age where they do not any longer care so much what others think :D Probably not the norm though, you are right.

Do you think though she would be likely to get on the rail if she did not swim? Peering over I don't think would send her over the rail.

Jmo.

Interesting observations. I don't know, I know a few US older people who rebel lol :) I think they hit an age where they do not any longer care so much what others think :D Probably not the norm though, you are right.

Do you think though she would be likely to get on the rail if she did not swim? Peering over I don't think would send her over the rail.

Jmo.

Good point! I'm not sure to be honest. She may have been perched on the rail and then the boat hit a wave and that was enough to topple her. I guess we may never know :(

Does anyone know why they haven't released her name yet? It's sad to only see her referred to as 'Korean woman'. :(

I don't know that we will ever hear the name. Or anything further. It seems to be the way some of these things go but that is jmo. Some with names known that were being looked into never resulted in published answers--are they still being investigated years later?

Not directed at this cruise line in particular, just with similar incidents in general. And often out of country incidents as well.

Again jmo.

Here is a question for anyone that has been on a cruise and had a balcony with average rail height.

Can this ever happen?

Lets say a person was just leaning against the rail but the weather and waves were really large. Like when in an airplane with bad turbulance and there is a sudden drop in altitude and the plane drops severely and you feel your stomach want to come up out of your throat,
Does the same thing ever happen on a cruise boat where maybe the edge of the ship hit a big wave and the ship dropped severely enough to where her weight lifted her center of balance enough to go up and over the rail?

Is something like that even possible?

Ive never been on a cruise and dont know how bad the waves and movement of the ship can get in bad windy weather.
This isn't even close to what happened to this poor Korean lady, but to give you an idea, even a professional sailor can go overboard without warning from a wave- this is a short story about what happened to Laura Gainey, Bob Gainey's daughter, for those who are hockey/Montreal fans:
Gainey daughter still missing; search team hope fading

I know this isn't the same situation, but it goes to show you how someone who's used to the seas can go overboard without warning. It's happened to fisherman, too- one huge, unexpected wave can be deadly. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back