Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea!

Per link:

"In the days and weeks after her disappearance, police searched in and around two homes in the area and seized a white vehicle from the property. Detectives say they continue to speak with all three men, but the men have never been named suspects."

I'm asking this of all of you that have followed many a criminal investigation. When the Police have people like these three men in Savannah's case, the last people to be with Savannah, does it mean they found no evidence of foul play if these men were not named suspects? Another question. Do Police always announce foul play if they've found evidence it did occur?

I'm asking this of all of you that have followed many a criminal investigation. When the Police have people like these three men in Savannah's case, the last people to be with Savannah, does it mean they found no evidence of foul play if these men were not named suspects? Another question. Do Police always announce foul play if they've found evidence it did occur?
I’ve seen many cases where investigators have a very good idea of what happened and it takes years to make an arrest. Every county is different in how much information they reveal. It could take many years for an arrest even if they have evidence right away.

I’ve seen many cases where investigators have a very good idea of what happened and it takes years to make an arrest. Every county is different in how much information they reveal. It could take many years for an arrest even if they have evidence right away.

Thanks for your reply and I do know what you've said is true. You didn't answer my questions and maybe there is no way to answer it. Most likely depends on the investigators and the case, for the decision to be made, on when to tell the public foul play took place or name a person a suspect. I'm just not sure though so anyone who knows if there is a usual way Law Enforcement does this please share. Does Law Enforcement always announce foul play if they find it occured and does Law Enforcement label a person a suspect only with an arrest?

Thanks for your reply and I do know what you've said is true. You didn't answer my questions and maybe there is no way to answer it. Most likely depends on the investigators and the case, for the decision to be made, on when to tell the public foul play took place or name a person a suspect. I'm just not sure though so anyone who knows if there is a usual way Law Enforcement does this please share. Does Law Enforcement always announce foul play if they find it occured and does Law Enforcement label a person a suspect only with an arrest?

I think it’s fairly unusual for someone to be named a suspect, without being arrested. It happened a few months ago in the Cheryl Coker disappearance, though.

On the other hand, I’d say it’s very common for LE to believe that there’s been foul play, but not to announce it.

All this MOO

My answer is that from what I’ve followed, every county is different in how much information they reveal to the public. It also differs from case to case within the county. They determine what is best to reveal publicly and what they should not based on the case. I think in this specific case, they very much have a suspect/suspects and are compiling evidence for an arrest. I also think they are running surveillance on those suspects. This is all MOO

I think it is rare to name a person a "suspect" before having enough evidence for an actual arrest, but we have seen an exception in Kentucky with Crystal Rogers. Brooks is Crystal's former boyfriend and was the last to see her. He was officially named the main suspect in her disappearance a few months after she was last seen.
I think it would be more common to name someone a POI before enough evidence for an actual arrest is gathered. But I guess even in Kentucky when the circumstantial evidence is undeniable LE may name someone a suspect after some time passes.
Crystal Rogers case is in a different county than Savannah though.

I think it is rare to name a person a "suspect" before having enough evidence for an actual arrest, but we have seen an exception in Kentucky with Crystal Rogers. Brooks is Crystal's former boyfriend and was the last to see her. He was officially named the main suspect in her disappearance a few months after she was last seen.
I think it would be more common to name someone a POI before enough evidence for an actual arrest is gathered. But I guess even in Kentucky when the circumstantial evidence is undeniable LE may name someone a suspect after some time passes.
Crystal Rogers case is in a different county than Savannah though.

Thanks, this is interesting and there's just no way to know if Law Enforcement has evidence of foul play in Savannah's case. So frustrating.

I was wondering if the word suspect was used only after a person is charged with a crime? I didn't realize, person of interest, is now only used after a person is charged with a crime. My understanding is POI is used instead of using the label suspect. By doing this it keeps people from thinking a person is guilty of a crime before the case goes to trial. Public opinion can sway a jury and Attorneys have used what's said in social media about a POI or suspect as a way to stop a trial from taking place. Also innocent people have their reputations harmed by being accused before a trial occurs and Law Enforcement is trying to stop this from happening so are careful about labeling those involved in criminal cases. Is the label suspect only used after an arrest is made? Also if the Police find evidence of foul play is this always announced to the public when they know foul play occured? Could the Police decide not to announce they found evidence of foul play and keep the public and family from knowing because of the way they're handling the case?

It appears there is not one "hard rule" among police.

The link below also has some good examples of how someone viewed in one jurisdiction.

How someone is viewed “may change our rules of engagement,” Grannis said. “If they’re a suspect, we’ll want to read them their rights. If they’re a person of interest, we would not necessarily read them their rights unless they’re about to do something that incriminates themselves.”

There isn’t a hard rule among police, Grannis said, so different departments can have varying term descriptions.

What’s the difference between a suspect and a person of interest?

Relative to "foul play" I recall hearing police announce they they suspect foul play in the disappearance of Jan Doe -- without disclosing the information leading them to this conclusion.

I don't recall any on going investigations where such evidence is released to public. If asked, LE typically declines to comment on ongoing investigations. MOO

I find it curious that LE has stated that they are still talking to the three men. I would think they would have representation by now if they are guilty of something. Certainly their attorneys would limit their questioning by LE. However, they may not be able to afford attorneys & will not be provided one until charged. If this is the case, LE can not force them to answer questions & would be smart to clam up.

I think that this is being handled by the Richmond Police for the most part. KSP in Richmond is probably helping too w/the other counties pitching in if needed. I don't live in Madison, but I feel that they've probably said all they can right now.

“The investigators have a pretty good idea what’s going on. It’s just a matter of proving what you know. picking up all the pieces to the puzzle and putting it back together,” said Richardson.

For now, Richmond Police say they are continuing their daily work behind the scenes, collecting what they believe will ultimately lead them to the truth.

Police Claim Progress In Search For Savannah Spurlock

Missing for more than five months now, Savannah Spurlock’s family is offering a $15,000 reward for the first tip that helps bring them peace.

The Lexington mother of four’s family is hoping that they can get answers soon. They are offering the reward for the first tip that directly leads to the safe return or recovery of Spurlock, or the first tip that leads to the successful arrest and conviction of whomever is responsible for her disappearance.

Savannah Spurlock’s family is still looking for answers, offering a reward

I think it's pretty obvious one or all of these 3 men are involved. In cases like this, with strong suspects that have not been charged yet, would they be under surveillance? What would stop them from booking a ticket to somewhere "off the grid" and disappearing? I know that probably is easier said than done without some funds, but hypothetically speaking would they be followed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong