Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
law & crime ... :)

bailed on the trial
continue to throw tantrums about the length of the trial at every opportunity, when they knew ahead of time how long it would run
don't know what evidence was presented but still run commentary on what was proved and what the jury will do
presumably get their updates from the DT's mouths
thought the case was over when Maline pointed out the exhaust on the Dodge truck was on the right ( :oops: )
didn't get the verdict recording live until the very last second and then cut short the video put up on youtube
pretended the sentencing phase would be live streamed until it wasn't
even referred to DK as the "missing defendant" in their commentary during verdict watch

I present them the most unprofessional outfit of the year award.
Didn't they also show the jurors coming into court on one of their live feeds?

I saw their commentary once and was like "Are they watching the same trial?"

L&C claims the defense is taking an "oblique" approach to offer lingering doubt to the jurors. The defense isn't even offering any mitigating evidence so the suggestion of lingering doubt will most certainly be "oblique." lol

adjective
If you describe a statement as oblique, you mean that is not expressed directly or openly, making it difficult to understand.

(as an aside...I was reading the chat comments on L&C during the trial - pre-verdict- and Cathy Russon posted that she was totally offering her "unbiased opinion" on the McStay case when she was at one point cheering for the defense. I had to laugh.)

L&C claims the defense is taking an "oblique" approach to offer lingering doubt to the jurors. The defense isn't even offering any mitigating evidence so the suggestion of lingering doubt will most certainly be "oblique." lol

adjective
If you describe a statement as oblique, you mean that is not expressed directly or openly, making it difficult to understand.

(as an aside...I was reading the chat comments on L&C during the trial - pre-verdict- and Cathy Russon posted that she was totally offering her "unbiased opinion" on the McStay case when she was at one point cheering for the defense. I had to laugh.)
Sounds like the FOS defense by L&C for the DT, LOL.

So, trying to catch up on my life. I've decided that I'm not going to worry and wonder about Merritt's sentance. I'm 99% sure it will be the death penalty and off to San Quentin he will go.
I have googled about life on death row in San Quentin.
Once you've proven yourself to be a cooperative inmate, there are benefits.
Up to 3 hours a day in the yard, writing materials, telephone calls, a radio and small t.v. Scott Peterson is one of the prisoners that have earned these perks.

Will Merritt behave himself? I have no idea really. I kind of hope not, so he doesn't get these extra "perks".

Merritt will also be somewhat of a celebrity there, as not too many of the residents have more then 2 murders under their belt, and certainly fewer still that have 4 murders with half of those being tiny little boys. He will be a rarity.

He just may have a problem making "friends". I'm way good with that.

There is another thread here at WS (
Looking for podcast recommendations ) which talks about different podcasts that are crime-related. One is called " Ear Hustle ", and it is all about life in San Quentin. The most recent one a few weeks ago was about the Reception Center at San Quentin, where guys learn the prison ropes while waiting to find out where they’ll serve time.

Looking for podcast recommendations ) which talks about different podcasts that are crime-related. One is called " Ear Hustle ", and it is all about life in San Quentin. The most recent one a few weeks ago was about the Reception Center at San Quentin, where guys learn the prison ropes while waiting to find out where they’ll serve time.
Q

Thank you for that information Dixie Girl.
While I think about a scenario, where I am going to live amongst the most violent human beings ever, I would be scared shitless.
I do not think that Chase Merritt will be.
I truly believe that he thinks that he is a Bad *advertiser censored*.

The NEW news for Chase Merritt is...
You don't murder with a hammer two baby boys.
You are no bad *advertiser censored* Chase Merritt.
You are a lying, sniveling worthlessness thing.
Sorry webslueths members. My heart still breaks.

I think the non-appearance of mitigation witnesses after the defence saying they had planned on two days was absolutely his decision, his order in fact. I think the verdict had him humiliated and angry. He really believed he had come up with a believable defence to each spoke of the prosecution's case, not seeing how many leaps outside of normal life experience he expected jurors to make, like accepting they shook hands for 2 minutes and having to believe some other killer didn't leave dna in the Trooper - wiping away his own but leaving CM's and Joey's on the steering wheel; believing he really was in the clubhouse for 3 1/2 hours after they had heard the jailhouse tape - and his phone not switched off but merely malfunctioning while the McStays were being murdered - his call to Cathy that night a flier; that Joey really was learning how to delete cheques and that first cashed cheque just wound its way into CM's hands after he'd left the residence; that he backdated cheques to Joey's last day alive if not by computer programming then by coincidence, etc. He imagined with his grandiose sense of self being believed and that is what kept him going, with his concertina folder and sticky notes directing everyone. Until they said guilty.

There is nothing that mitigates in these truly worst of the worst abhorrent crimes, but I think this phase is about what, above and beyond the circumstances of the crimes, aggravates or mitigates in choosing his penalty. Just knowing someone loved him, however blind, and knowing people would suffer if he is put to death would be something for the jury to weigh.

I'm not surprised to see his shame speaking, the core of the narcissist, that is the way he spins it imo, directing his rage back out at those who saw him and declared him guilty. He will punish them in his head by not cooperating with this process, imo. I think he's on to the next fight already, this jury did not believe the people and witnesses he set up in his corner, so don't humiliate him further, get this over with, say he's innocent and move on already to the appeal process.

JMO

Last edited:
Where I live there are multiple prisons side by side. I am not sure how many or which is which. That murderer from Balto Syad (from the podcast) something is housed in 1 of them.

I can tell you there are murders in prison. I see it in my newspaper from time to time. Also stabbings. Usually see guards guarding a room in the ER or Floor when I'm At the hospital.

Maybe google Cresaptown, MD prisons. Should give a count.

I hate the prisons are here. Brought a lot of the drugs.

Speaking of murders in prisons.

Last week someone in one of our state prisons was murdered. Word is someone used a frozen hotdog shaved down to a point and jabbed it into a guys throat.

Shocking to me.

Now that its done and dusted - i feel free to say that efforts to innocently explain away the deleted / backdated cheques is by far the most obviously silly part of the defence case

In order to believe the explanations you have to throw all common sense out the window

I think the non-appearance of mitigation witnesses after the defence saying they had planned on two days was absolutely his decision, his order in fact. I think the verdict had him humiliated and angry. He really believed he had come up with a believable defence to each spoke of the prosecution's case, not seeing how many leaps outside of normal life experience he expected jurors to make, like accepting they shook hands for 2 minutes and having to believe some other killer didn't leave dna in the Trooper - wiping away his own but leaving CM's and Joey's on the steering wheel; believing he really was in the clubhouse for 3 1/2 hours after they had heard the jailhouse tape - and his phone not switched off but merely malfunctioning while the McStays were being murdered - his call to Cathy that night a flier; that Joey really was learning how to delete cheques and that first cashed cheque just wound its way into CM's hands after he'd left the residence; that he backdated cheques to Joey's last day alive if not by computer programming then by coincidence, etc. He imagined with his grandiose sense of self being believed and that is what kept him going, with his concertina folder and sticky notes directing everyone. Until they said guilty.

There is nothing that mitigates in these truly worst of the worst abhorrent crimes, but I think this phase is about what, above and beyond the circumstances of the crimes, aggravates or mitigates in choosing his penalty. Just knowing someone loved him, however blind, and knowing people would suffer if he is put to death would be something for the jury to weigh.

I'm not surprised to see his shame speaking, the core of the narcissist, that is the way he spins it imo, directing his rage back out at those who saw him and declared him guilty. He will punish them in his head by not cooperating with this process, imo. I think he's on to the next fight already, this jury did not believe the people and witnesses he set up in his corner, so don't humiliate him further, get this over with, say he's innocent and move on already to the appeal process.

JMO
Sometimes you scare me a little, Tortoise. You seem to have gotten right inside his head; that is, what you suggest may have been this killer's motivations and acts click together so well, so reasonably, that it finally all makes a terrible kind of sense in my head.
a055.gif

Thank you for your insight. This particular monster terrifies me, so I do want him unmasked. But suddenly, I'm not ready. I'm afraid.

Does understanding him as you do help you to feel less afraid of him, Tortoise? Or more afraid?
a095.gif

Sometimes you scare me a little, Tortoise. You seem to have gotten right inside his head; that is, what you suggest may have been this killer's motivations and acts click together so well, so reasonably, that it finally all makes a terrible kind of sense in my head.
a055.gif

Thank you for your insight. This particular monster terrifies me, so I do want him unmasked. But suddenly, I'm not ready. I'm afraid.

Does understanding him as you do help you to feel less afraid of him, Tortoise? Or more afraid?
a095.gif
Don't be afraid of him. There's no way he'll walk out of prison alive, however, we need to watch out for his type as they're lurking around every corner.

I read today that the DT will NOT present any witnesses for CM during his penalty phase? Other than trying to say he "was framed." If they go with that, they have no clue what to everyone heard throughout this trial. IMO, that is NOT doing CM any favors, if true.

I read today that the DT will NOT present any witnesses for CM during his penalty phase? Other than trying to say he "was framed." If they go with that, they have no clue what to everyone heard throughout this trial. IMO, that is NOT doing CM any favors, if true.

Honestly I think he will be given DP no matter what.

I honestly can’t see a scenario where the jury won’t recommend the DP

It’s the only just sentence for the crimes they found him guilty of

Jmo

This is chilling.Who knew?

Inmates are also married to spouses in LE, believe it or not. I've dealt with several who had their spouses run criminal checks, yes access to inmate criminal records, who used the records for targeting other inmates throughout our system. I can recall 2 inmates, whom I had to investigate personally, from the Mexican Mafia who had (1) a spouse and (2) a family member working for different LE agencies in So Calif to do this for them. Both were inmates who were in Administrative Segregation (housed alone with the worst of the worst) and were able to identify and place a "hit" on other inmates from their single cells.

Or maybe the DT is trying to pull on the jury’s heart strings as in please don’t sentence CM to death because frankly there is not a single human on the face of the planet with anything nice to say about him. He has zero redeeming quality.
Good riddance CM! He will never see the light of day again and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving loser! IMHO

Honestly I think he will be given DP no matter what.

I honestly can’t see a scenario where the jury won’t recommend the DP

It’s the only just sentence for the crimes they found him guilty of

Jmo
If ever there were a crime that the death penalty is meant for it is this. But honestly, I want whatever punishment is the most restrictive and gives him the least amount of privileges, etc. I want him to spend his remaining days on earth as miserable as possible. If he gets death he'll go to San Quentin but if he gets LWOP I want him as far from his family as possible. If the McStays and Arandas can't see their family ever again I don't feel like Merritt should have physical contact with his. Call me cold and harsh but Merritt made his own bed and now he needs to lay in it.

To have a job, like you have Edmo, you would see some atrocious actions among inmates.:eek:
Something the general public are not aware of.
For some, who find it upsetting, if someone is rude to us, I don't envy what you have experienced.
As CM has been 'locked up' for such a long period already, I would think he has had many bad encounters.
MOO.

Even the delivery of a local newspaper to inmates can have deadly consequences. One man held his gf and 12 y/o hostage with a shotgun, the night before. By the time he ( a previous parolee) was booked into custody (around 3-4 am) his crime had been printed in the newspaper the day he was booked, unknown to us. We passed out newspaper at 5 am, during morning breakfast. He ended up being slashed/stabbed with a toothbrush with a razor blade during breakfast.

Inmates are also married to spouses in LE, believe it or not. I've dealt with several who had their spouses run criminal checks, yes access to inmate criminal records, who used the records for targeting other inmates throughout our system. I can recall 2 inmates, whom I had to investigate personally, from the Mexican Mafia who had (1) a spouse and (2) a family member working for different LE agencies in So Calif to do this for them. Both were inmates who were in Administrative Segregation (housed alone with the worst of the worst) and were able to identify and place a "hit" on other inmates from their single cells.
That is nuts! I think inmates and all the time they have on their hands can be very resourceful people.

One of my pet peeves is inmates being allowed to get married while incarcerated and conjugal visits. It's suppose to be punishment, not Club Med.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong