PA - Mother Jumps from Bridge - Three Children Left in Car - Allegheny County - Friday, 14 June 2019

Richrd

Ten Year Member
Reaction score

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -
Mother Jumps Off Bridge -
Three Kids Left In Car
-
Friday, 14 June 2019 -

Deceased:
(Ms) Stanlee Allyn Holbrook
Black / Female / 26 Years Old

3)) Post Gazette:

McKees Rocks woman leaves three kids in car, jumps from Homestead Grays Bridge
(Three Children -- Ages 1 to 9)

4)) Google™ Supplements & Updates:
Woman - Homestead Grays Bridge - PA - Google Search

5)) Suicide Prevention Helpline:

Home
1-800-273-8255 ::: 1-800-273-TALK

Our Support To All.
[Contribution # 6526
Thread # 451338]

Last edited:
I hate she did this but am relieved she had enough sense to leave babies in car. I hope they all get the help they need.

Oh wow. She died. :(
Yes, the poor woman died. Not too many people survive jumping off the bridges in Pittsburgh. Weather has been cool here also,so I am sure that the water temperature isn't that high. Our local news have reported that they aren't sure if she was pushed or jumped. She left her kids on a busy road and leaned over the railing. I am thinking that this act was done on purpose. :(

Yes, the poor woman died. Not too many people survive jumping off the bridges in Pittsburgh. Weather has been cool here also,so I am sure that the water temperature isn't that high. Our local news have reported that they aren't sure if she was pushed or jumped. She left her kids on a busy road and leaned over the railing. I am leaning that this act was done on purpose. :(

I was going to question if she was taking a quick selfie but she left her vehicle in the middle of the bridge, and in the middle of traffic. I wonder if there is video surveillance on the bridge?

That sounds so impulsive, with kids in the vehicle no less. The children are being turned over to child and youth services. No other family involved?

Woman Falls Or Jumps Off Homestead Grays Bridge

MOO

Officials: McKees Rocks woman jumped to her death from Homestead Grays Bridge, left 3 kids in car | TribLIVE.com
The medical examiner said witnesses reported seeing Stanlee Allyn Holbrook, 26, jump from the bridge.

Togneri said emergency responders were alerted to a report of a woman on the outer bridge railing around 7:20 p.m. Holbrook’s body was recovered about two hours later.
She wasn't taking a selfie..

From the article:

It wasn’t immediately clear if the children were hers.

Oh, what happened to make this young mother feel like she had to do this? Did she have a bad diagnosis of a disease that would make her unable to care for her children? Did she feel that this act would benefit her children if they were with someone else?

She was only 26 years old. Her 9 y/o child will know what she did or what was done to her -- what a burden for a 9 y/o to carry. Maybe the 9 y/o can help fill in some blanks as to why this happened or if something more sinister may be involved.
I wonder how much more info we will see on this case -- it may not be much.
Prayers for her children and those others who knew and loved her.
The world can be such a hard, tuff place for so many.

I believe this is another FB profile. If you search her name, you will see many referencing this heartbreaking story.

We need to be able to convince people that tomorrow CAN be a better day. To Stay strong. To Find a focus.

I cannot even begin to imagine the terror those children endured. And if they could even comprehend what was really going on. Heartbreaking sadness for this family. Her friends. RIP SH <3 <3 <3

Holbrook Stanlee

Reporting on this has been all over the place from leaning over the bridge to jumping and they are her kids to uncertainty.

It appears that SH has three children, if you sleuth her FB profiles, although it has not been officially verified that they were in the vehicle with her.

They are beautiful, and I can't imagine what they are going through or will be going through.

Sometimes these stories just rip your heart out.

Thanks @Jim_M for the additional link. There are others as well. MOO

Oh, what happened to make this young mother feel like she had to do this? Did she have a bad diagnosis of a disease that would make her unable to care for her children? Did she feel that this act would benefit her children if they were with someone else?

She was only 26 years old. Her 9 y/o child will know what she did or what was done to her -- what a burden for a 9 y/o to carry. Maybe the 9 y/o can help fill in some blanks as to why this happened or if something more sinister may be involved.
I wonder how much more info we will see on this case -- it may not be much.
Prayers for her children and those others who knew and loved her.
The world can be such a hard, tuff place for so many.
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Chronic manic depression can be (and usually does) last a lifetime. For those that suffer from this disease, it is a lifetime of work trying to keep your head up. I don't know if Stanlee had a support system or not but it can be nearly impossible to make it day to day without one and without the resources to help you cope. Saying that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem dismisses the actual gravity of the situation. Suffering from this disease is a horrible and extremely painful struggle.

Edited to add: Leaving the kids in the car right by where she jumped suggests (to me) that this was well thought out by Stanlee. I think that is what leads me to think this was manic depression. She was aware that her children would be found as quickly as possible by doing that. If she had left them with family, there would have been a strong possibility that they would have suspected something and might have tried to stop her. She didn't want that and it seems like she didn't want to burden anyone. There is little doubt in my mind that she felt this was the best option for her but mostly for her kids. I know how that sounds but it is hard to comprehend manic depression if you don't experience it first hand. Of course I'm basing this off of nothing but my own brain and it's tendency to work this way. Such is life.

RIP Stanlee. I am sorry you saw this as the best option but I do understand why you did.

Last edited:
Thank you Ursamajr. I have suffered from depression my whole life but I was lucky to have so much support from family and friends and free healthcare and unemployement benefits while I was in a clinic and months of psychotherapy afterwards.
I don't think I'd still be here if I had to worry about help and money on top of being ill.

Chronic manic depression can be (and usually does) last a lifetime. For those that suffer from this disease, it is a lifetime of work trying to keep your head up. I don't know if Stanlee had a support system or not but it can be nearly impossible to make it day to day without one and without the resources to help you cope. Saying that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem dismisses the actual gravity of the situation. Suffering from this disease is a horrible and extremely painful struggle.

Edited to add: Leaving the kids in the car right by where she jumped suggests (to me) that this was well thought out by Stanlee. I think that is what leads me to think this was manic depression. She was aware that her children would be found as quickly as possible by doing that. If she had left them with family, there would have been a strong possibility that they would have suspected something and might have tried to stop her. She didn't want that and it seems like she didn't want to burden anyone. There is little doubt in my mind that she felt this was the best option for her but mostly for her kids. I know how that sounds but it is hard to comprehend manic depression if you don't experience it first hand. Of course I'm basing this off of nothing but my own brain and it's tendency to work this way. Such is life.

RIP Stanlee. I am sorry you saw this as the best option but I do understand why you did.
I agree with you 100% and I am sorry if my “quote” came off as dismissive to a very serious condition. I am well aware of the disease’s affects and know that daily medication and support is crucial. I do not think that her leaving her kids alone in a car on a bridge to witness that horror was in their best interest however. JMO

That's a catch phrase that people who suffer grueling, life-long mental health issues would never agree to.

Imagine having physical pain that is almost always present. Sometimes it abates for a few days or hours. Sometimes for weeks or months. And then it's back with vengeance.

The pain level varies, often with unbearable intensity.

And no one can fix it for good. No pill or surgery or treatment promises a permanent cure.

Everyone keeps trying to help you. You keep trying to help yourself. But it's nothing but an endless fight to stay here.

That's what people with mental illness can face, except the pain is emotional.

I can't blame people who kill themselves or contemplate it. I don't think it's actually selfish either.

For some it's simply desperation.

Mental health issues aren't temporary.

Oops. I see you already addressed this. Good post.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back