GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether they were going by boat day or night, they may not be going full speed. They could have been trolling along so as not to hit anything and it might be quieter and not draw as much attention. Once your eyes get used to the darkness, you can start seeing things easier. Was the moon out that night?
Actually it was not, that was another serious coincident, it's waay back in the threads watcher, i'd have to find that or I suppose it can be found on the charts somewhere

You dont really need dept finders on these lakes, now south GA lake blackshear used to be bad for flooded trees sticking up our of the water, I vowed never to go in that one LOL

I would guess you are correct, trolling motor in the cove or nearby

Also, there have been some crazies going full speed at night, they scare me!

RSBM

Interesting that local LE told you the murderers were from up north. What leads them to this conclusion? They must mean NJ then? Which would presumably therefore mean they do think it was a disgruntled ex employee, or a 'mafia hit'? I wonder if their suspicions are the same now as they were back then?
AND IIRC, everyone in the area thought it was a mafia hit, maybe some thought family.......even the local cops, I didnt talk to all of them but didnt know at that time much of anything

I have an old boat which is in great condition.. I don't need a new boat, nor a depth finder, because I don't use my boat enough. I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world like that? Doesn't make anyone irresponsible. (In any case, we are talking about the killers, who are definitely NOT responsible, regardless!) And anyone not capable of driving a boat on a lake, may only mean they aren't used to being around boats/driving a boat - this doesn't make them unable to function in life.

"What are you going to hit in the middle of the night? Nothing! You’ve got the lake to yourself in early May." - Let's not forget about those magical trees and forests in the water, which remain there in all seasons, whether or not the lake has activity?

My point was simply that I believe the killers most certainly *were* familiar with both boating *and* this particular lake, to have taken the risks they took - dead body, in the dark, in a lake full of trees to catch a motor up in. If one also has the lake to themselves at that time of year, then one might presume that boat would have stuck out to the residents along the lake? But yet, nothing was seen nor heard.

Whoa! I had to read it twice... You called them "magical" trees. Why?? You don't believe they exist or am I missing something?

Age and being social are dependent on the individual. My grandfather starting dating again at 86. My grandmother had passed some 15 years before.

A man that once only had family over was now dating again, traveling to Europe with his new “lady friend” going to parties at the Upscale retirement home. Playing golf. He was being social.

He also told me that when he started to date again that the entire retirement home started gossiping about their activities and he felt like he was back in high school.

As private as the D’s were them going to a retirement home was not happening. That discussion has been had (don’t worry I’ve read all 5 years of posts) also ironically found that FredandEdna has been here all 5 years.

While longevity to the thread is not important to most I thought I would point that out.

No foreign DNA was found in the D's home?

What does that mean? Whose DNA did they find?

Some comment by SS was made that they used so much Fingerprint powder they changed the color of the interior LOL, something to that affect

AND NO FOREIGN fingerprints? NO other DNA???

That's telling

SO some speculate the octogenarian couple didnt have company nor entertain........well if I was 88 I dont guess I would either, life is getting slow at that point, be invited but they were both still very social in the community events they were involved in

However, WHO WOULD they entertain? WHo do we know WOULD go to their home to visit??

I think several of us do have it solved, SS just has to wait on that Phone call !! A statement I didnt earlier understand

Simple question. Have you ever been to Lake Oconee? You’re putting out statements that seem like you have my problem with
that is you’re quite confused if so. This lake is no different then any other lake I’ve been on.

On a scale of 10 being rafting the Colorado and 1 being driving a boat in an ocean driving a boat on Lake Oconee is a two! It’s super easy. Please don’t confuse your reading with experience. This lake is laughably easy to navigate.

I’ve not seen the tree from Game of Thrones sticking out of the lake. I’ve also not seen Bran or Gandolph hanging around. Nothing magical to see unless you consider rainbows magical.

I have an old boat which is in great condition.. I don't need a new boat, nor a depth finder, because I don't use my boat enough. I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world like that? Doesn't make anyone irresponsible. (In any case, we are talking about the killers, who are definitely NOT responsible, regardless!) And anyone not capable of driving a boat on a lake, may only mean they aren't used to being around boats/driving a boat - this doesn't make them unable to function in life.

"What are you going to hit in the middle of the night? Nothing! You’ve got the lake to yourself in early May." - Let's not forget about those magical trees and forests in the water, which remain there in all seasons, whether or not the lake has activity?

My point was simply that I believe the killers most certainly *were* familiar with both boating *and* this particular lake, to have taken the risks they took - dead body, in the dark, in a lake full of trees to catch a motor up in. If one also has the lake to themselves at that time of year, then one might presume that boat would have stuck out to the residents along the lake? But yet, nothing was seen nor heard.

I’ll make an agreement with y’all. Y’all map out the destination y’all want me to film. I’ll be at the lake July 3-6. I can do multiple runs filming and you won’t see any trees sticking up on the route.

Boats at night have these things they call lights. My car and boat came with them but maybe it’s a Georgia thing? I don’t typically need the moonlight to navigate anywhere.

If I’m not in my car or boat I’ve even got a headlamp (light) to traverse the Georgia red clay. Lights are very useful.

I’ll make an agreement with y’all. Y’all map out the destination y’all want me to film. I’ll be at the lake July 3-6. I can do multiple runs filming and you won’t see any trees sticking up on the route.

Boats at night have these things they call lights. My car and boat came with them but maybe it’s a Georgia thing? I don’t typically need the moonlight to navigate anywhere.

If I’m not in my car or boat I’ve even got a headlamp (light) to traverse the Georgia red clay. Lights are very useful.

Looking forward to any pics/video you can share! Maybe trees/limbs aren't visible just below the surface (nor their tops just rising above). Or maybe the visibility varies with water levels/seasons?? Or maybe they simply aren't actually there?? I've seen similar here in KY, but that ain't Lake Oconee... So I can't compare.

I'd be happy to see a boat perspective the 5-6 mile path from (basically) the Dermonds home towards the dam. Just that basic path - not necessarily about trees, etc... Just the possible path. This would be great!

Actually, while he was still alive, Foxfire gave frequent exclamations on who murdered the D's and why.
A thread was created just for that but not many people were enthusiastic about it. FF felt certain it was a cult. (The Nubawdians?!!)

Oh Yeah lol, I remember him talking about this cult...

He was thinking about them on thiiiis case? That’s, well, interesting.

Where is that thread? I’d like to see it...:)

You know, thinking about this, Foxfire, in other threads, talked about ISIS a lot and people scoffed.

He turned out to be absolutely correct, ahead of his time actually.

This makes me wonder, now that you mention it, ISIS, beheading...he knew a lot about ISIS and that other cult. Very interesting. Normally I might scoff, but since it’s @Foxfire and he knew his *advertiser censored*...

I’d like to see that thread, if anything just to hear@Foxfire talk, even if his theory might be, uh, a little “out there” lol.

ETA: It’s funny you mentioned this bc I just saw something about that cult the other day on TV and was trying to remember why that was so familiar. Now I know. :)

Last edited:
Whoa! I had to read it twice... You called them "magical" trees. Why?? You don't believe they exist or am I missing something?
Oh I was just making reference to a previous post when someone earlier said, "Do you think a tree line magically grows in the middle of a lake?"

Last edited:
Just been wondering if GA Power published pump back/power generating schedules each yr? Or did they fluctuate and change seasonally? Or some other schedule and if the schedule was public??

I did find this when I went googling:

Lake Oconee power generation schedule???
Call me stupid when it comes to dams, but wouldn't that also have a bearing on weather/rainfall status too? Would it always be on a schedule, or would it vary depending on conditions?

You know, thinking about this, Foxfire, in other threads, talked about ISIS a lot and people scoffed.

This makes me wonder, now that you mention it, ISIS, beheading...he knew a lot about ISIS and that other cult. Very interesting. Normally I might scoff, but since it’s @Foxfire and he knew his ****...

I’d like to see that thread, if anything just to hear@Foxfire talk, even if his theory might be, uh, a little “out there” lol.

ETA: It’s funny you mentioned this bc I just saw something about that cult the other day on TV and was trying to remember why that was so familiar. Now I know. :)
I have read a little about this.. I know that SS wrote this theory off, as well as any others.. but do we know *why* SS wrote off this particular theory?

Call me stupid when it comes to dams, but wouldn't that also have a bearing on weather/rainfall status too? Would it always be on a schedule, or would it vary depending on conditions?

Well, Alabama Power has an app that shows generation schedules (as well as a bunch of other stuff). So, I thought other states might do the same? *Lake levels are also available but doesn't sound like its in conjunction with generation schedules.
I think generation schedules have to do with the "times" power is needed/required as well as the pricing of said power. (I can't swear that's how it works but it kinda/sorta makes sense).

The Shorelines platform will include a smartphone app, website, mobile site, personalized email communication, social media and a blog, featuring stories and updates from our lakes. Through these channels, customers will be able to access lake levels, generation schedules and lifestyle features specific to the lake or lakes they prefer.

Alabama Power launches new Shorelines site and app - Alabama NewsCenter

Open Records Act O.C.G.A. §50-18-70 et seq.
Exempt: Investigations; certain real estate documents; attorney-client privilege documents; and names of handgun carriers. Electronic records open.

SO that is why the public cannot help solve this case and even those in office havent solved this case

My husband had a stroke in Dec 2015 right before christmas, my table stayed set with christmas decor until the next christmas when we still could not return home

He was completely debilitated, couldnt walk, couldnt read, couldnt couldnt talk, couldnt use his right side

It took 2 years to regain a lot and still has not regained it all

We finally were able to move back into our 2 story home after 3 years then sold the Lake home.

We lived at the lake that was one level, permanent for a few years until we finally sold it after we begun getting broken into

We were living off and on at Lake Sinclair when this murder occurred and after the break ins I felt like a sitting duck with a handicapped husband, I carried a gun everywhere after that and have them to this day peppered all over the house

Those murders terrified me, I was 7 miles from the Dermonds home though separated by the dam, the head could be anywhere, WHO KNEW< WHO KNOWS TODAY......NO ONE

Vickie Stephens died not far from me and Im not sure to this day if it was simply an accidental drowning 2 days after SD was found

I looked at everyone around me as a suspect

I spoke with local cops who said the perps are gone and were from up north

BUT TODAY I look at the community, the LOCC and the Real Estate connections to the Dermonds area and life

I have vigorously studied statements made by the family , documents where I found a property lien of family to the Ds and more has been discovered

Yet I cannot solve this case nor anyone because we do not have all the facts and GA is closed records in investigations.......

Just thought I'd share

ANyone else at these lakes in Eatonton GA please share your story!

Sorry to hear about this, dancin. Glad to hear your DH is doing better.

My understanding is when power/energy is needed water from Oconee to Wallace Dam through the turbines and into Sinclair. When it’s not needed the water is regurgitated back to Lake Oconee.

I imagine from May to end of September it’s flowing and the rest of the year it’s coming back into Oconee. Would make since if SD destination was the turbines.

Well, Alabama Power has an app that shows generation schedules (as well as a bunch of other stuff). So, I thought other states might do the same? *Lake levels are also available but doesn't sound like its in conjunction with generation schedules.
I think generation schedules have to do with the "times" power is needed/required as well as the pricing of said power. (I can't swear that's how it works but it kinda/sorta makes sense).

The Shorelines platform will include a smartphone app, website, mobile site, personalized email communication, social media and a blog, featuring stories and updates from our lakes. Through these channels, customers will be able to access lake levels, generation schedules and lifestyle features specific to the lake or lakes they prefer.

Alabama Power launches new Shorelines site and app - Alabama NewsCenter

Probably because he has those suspects he keeps referring too that won’t take polygraphs. I just don’t see the cult doing this for no reason. It honestly just makes zero sense.

I have read a little about this.. I know that SS wrote this theory off, as well as any others.. but do we know *why* SS wrote off this particular theory?

This makes me wonder, now that you mention it, ISIS, beheading...he knew a lot about ISIS and that other cult. Very interesting. Normally I might scoff, but since it’s @Foxfire and he knew his ****...

I was here when Foxfire was posting, and we even exchanged a few PMs. He was certain the Nuwabian cult was responsible for the Dermond murders. We respected his opinion and patiently listened as he pled his case. At some point the mods said there would no longer be discussion on this thread about the Nuwabians. A Nuwabian thread was started in the “parking lot.” Not sure if the “parking lot” is still here.

Yes he was ahead of his time, I remember that too, THat thread is in the "Parking Lot"

Much more common now, but we werent allowed to talk about it on here then, maybe still not but well, check out that thread,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni