How a case of mistaken identity allowed a man to be taken off life support

If you google George Scott Cushnie here at WS, he was also mis-identified, claimed by a family and buried under another mans name.

We, his friends, were beside ourselves searching for him and wondering what had gone terribly wrong.

Around Thanksgiving, the other familys' missing member showed up and they called the police to see who was in the grave.

It was our Scott. He was exhumed and the coroner ID him from dental records. Dreadful, just dreadful.

If you google George Scott Cushnie here at WS, he was also mis-identified, claimed by a family and buried under another mans name.

We, his friends, were beside ourselves searching for him and wondering what had gone terribly wrong.

Around Thanksgiving, the other familys' missing member showed up and they called the police to see who was in the grave.

It was our Scott. He was exhumed and the coroner ID him from dental records. Dreadful, just dreadful.

@JDG, let me express my compassion to you and all friends of George Scott Cushnie.

Dreadful and scary indeed!

A lesson to be learned from both of these cases?

Always carry some form of ID on you, even if you're only going for a walk. This gentleman had none and neither did Scott. Scott was just out for a walk, he fell, hit his head and an ambulance took him to the hospital as a John Doe also.

Even if you get a Medic Alert with just your name/phone contact number on it. Please folks, take ID with you.

Lack of money? Seriously???

If I'm unidentified, the hospital will probably end up with most of the co$t of my stay, along with some part of government, I expect.

Identify me, and I have insurance. Might have family to share any remainder. Might have family to file Wrongful Death to cover even more of the bill.

Might behoove that hospital to change their policy.

Granted, historically many people brought to hospitals unable to identify themselves may be a "charity case."

But certainly not all!

On the hospital's side -- they tried to provide the care & comfort of family to a patient. Kudos for that!

oh wow I had followed that thread early on but never knew this sad conclusion
condolences to you and his family

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member