Found Deceased CA - John Wooner, 57, city manager, Bakersfield, 14 May 2019

Well, driving a city vehicle and (likely) having a work-issued cell seems like he would be VERY trackable to me. If voluntary- he's done a good job.
Also the fact is that he is a large and noticeable man. Highly unlikely he still local. I wonder why the FBI has not been brought into the case, unless LE knows where he is. As an adult, he has the right to walk away from his life and stay away.

It certainly would appear so. No one meets to discuss someones performance when they are missing...unless something significant is awry. I'd be interested to know if the city attorney is in that meeting.

Amateur opinion and speculation

IMO: JW could have gone voluntarily missing to avoid this meeting (& it's consequences, both career, legal & personal). The cemetery stop was a goodbye-for-awhile to Dad. Use of city vehicle vs. personal was intentional. Self-harm is not on my radar at moment. He is well hidden w ample resources to survive until LE prevails or his name is cleared.
@GraceG is this one you've looked at?

Last edited:
IMO: JW could have gone voluntarily missing to avoid this meeting (& it's consequences, both career, legal & personal). The cemetery stop was a goodbye-for-awhile to Dad. Use of city vehicle vs. personal was intentional. Self-harm is not on my radar at moment. He is well hidden w ample resources to survive until LE prevails or his name is cleared.
@GraceG is this one you've looked at?
You could very well be right. I’m on the fence with two theories, both involve his job.

A) something was about to be revealed at work and he left and self harmed

B) he departed with resources and has gone off the grid voluntarily

Either way, not looking good.
Amateur opinion and speculation

McFarland council appoints new interim replacement for missing city manager
With its city manager still missing amid mysterious circumstances, the McFarland City Council voted unanimously in closed session Wednesday to appoint a new interim city manager and assistant city manager.

The city announced at 7:39 p.m. it had selected David Tooley, an administrator with 20 years of experience in municipal government, to become city manager effective Monday.

Tooley will replace interim city manager Janet Davis, McFarland's police chief. She had been appointed city manager May 23, nine days after City Manager John Wooner went missing after visiting a relative's gravesite at Hillcrest Cemetery in Bakersfield.

The council also voted Wednesday to appoint Davis interim assistant city manager. She will continue to serve as McFarland's police chief.

Mayor Manuel Cantu and the council expressed concern for Wooner's welfare in the news release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and still the City's Dodge Durango is nowhere to be found-P4YT

Isn't him "missing" the reason the meeting was held in the first place. A more like "what do we do?" meeting? Instead of calling it a our manager is missing and we don't know when he will be back meeting, they called it a performance review or some such thing? I have to go find that post. Someones spouse or partner knew all about this type of meeting, earlier back in the thread. It completely made sense.

Thanks for linking that article, @JerseyGirl! The mayor of McFarland (Mr. Cantu) had this to say in that very informative article:

Cantu ruled out speculation that Wooner’s disappearance was tied to financial malfeasance. “There’s no way he could have taken money. There is no evidence to support any internal problem with the city,” Cantu said, citing what he said were “internal controls” of city finances.

My understanding is that the remains found in the Mojave Desert are 100 miles from Bakersfield. That's a long distance away. But authorities made contact. Who initiated that? If it was police at the scene of the remains, that seems telling. But we just don't know if that's the case. Has there been a family search effort?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back