Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I realize that following true crime and dissecting monsters who have already carried out their evil deeds is not the same or anywhere near as hard as having to deal with a monster in one's own real life. Learning about it though is better than burying one's head in the sand, I would say.

RSBM

IMO half the battle is identifying them as a sociopath in the first place - you just never expect it in your social circle really. IMO in business it is far easier because people who behave in psychopathic ways within the workplace are just way more common. Because business has "rules" it is often far easier to remove yourself from it or change jobs etc.

But even if you figure it out, doing something about it is hard. First you may need to convince other people. And it takes a long time to get your own psychic defences set up so that you don't get triggered the whole time.

What I found extremely difficult was that during the grappling phase you have to be very strict not to let your guard down, and you also have to be firm with all the "flying monkeys"

I apologize for my late response. My reply is to an incident reported just after it was announced the jury had reached a verdict. In a released video, one of CM's relative's exclaimed, "he didn't mean it". Those are the words, in my very humble opinion, of an individual trained from experience to deny, or justify, abusive acts toward said individual. For instance, a child who is violently, sexually, mentally, or emotionally abused by a parent will be counseled (not necessarily consoled) by the other parent, and convinced that the act should be forgiven and forgotten because "he didn't mean it". The pain inflicted upon the "child" is never validated, and s/he adopts a victim mentality. Subsequently, s/he learns to cope with future trauma using the same rationalization: "he didn't mean it", therefore, the act should be excused.

I'd have to dig long and deep to find my previous posts in this case about the same subject, but I clearly recall typing almost these exact words after CM's arrest in relation to another incident that surfaced at the time. In this instance, the exclamation came from CM's sister, but the point remains. Again IMVHO, it bears witness to CM's personality. May God bless all who have suffered at his hands.

ETA: added link

Verdict Reached for Man Suspected of Burying Family of 4 in Calif. Desert

JD Crighton on Twitter

Last edited:
I have been away for a family vacation since last Friday, but have been here reading, waiting for the verdict, shaking my head in disbelief with yet ANOTHER delay in this crazy trial, worrying and getting nervous, and then sighing with relief along most of you that the jury finally reached what I believed is the right verdict and there is FINALLY justice for the McStay family.

May CM rot in prison, then in hell.
And may those that loved this family eventually reach some sort of peace and healing, though their lives will never be the same.

Or sobered up? It's quite possible she was in rehab. DT really shot themselves in the foot.
Maybe she was upset with DK at the time she made the statement and realized after the fact that lying to law enforcement isn't such a good idea. I don't think the DT ever had any intention of putting her on the stand and it was just another aspect of their shady tactics to try and put the blame on DK.

I apologize for my late response. My reply is to an incident reported just after it was announced the jury had reached a verdict. In a released video, one of CM's relative's exclaimed, "he didn't mean it". Those are the words, in my very humble opinion, of an individual trained from experience to deny, or justify, abusive acts toward said individual. For instance, a child who is violently, sexually, mentally, or emotionally abused by a parent will be counseled (not necessarily consoled) by the other parent, and convinced that the act should be forgiven and forgotten because "he didn't mean it". The pain inflicted upon the "child" is never validated, and s/he adopts a victim mentality. Subsequently, s/he learns to cope with future trauma using the same rationalization: "he didn't mean it", therefore, the act should be excused.

I'd have to dig long and deep to find my previous posts in this case about the same subject, but I clearly recall typing almost these exact words after CM's arrest in relation to another incident that surfaced at the time. In this instance, the exclamation came from CM's sister, but the point remains. Again IMVHO, it bears witness to CM's personality. May God bless all who have suffered at his hands.

ETA: added link

Verdict Reached for Man Suspected of Burying Family of 4 in Calif. Desert

JD Crighton on Twitter

yes I've been posting similar thoughts

I recently read an article about Scott Peterson being on death row and by all accounts he's a well liked prisoner with friends and various privileges. Apparently San Quentin has an area for death row inmates that's cozier than the rest of death row and it houses Scott Peterson. Do you have any idea how it's decided who will be in the cushy area and why is Peterson still alive?

I love that you have inside experience and information due to your job. Despite what Merritt may think most of us have never seen the inside of a prison. Lol
Killer Scott Peterson living a 'cushy' life on death row

I've read that many inmates who have never been in trouble with the law before have an easier time with their sentence, even if it is death row. They are able to adapt and basically give themselves a new identity and almost a new life.
Think Scott Peterson, Bernie Madoff, off the top of my head.
Those who tend not to fair well are people who have done stints of time, been released, come back, been released, THEN do a crime that is a life sentence/death row. When it becomes apparent that they will never have freedom again, they lose their "outside" persona, and identity. They've felt the freedom and been able to go between 2 worlds. Once there is no hope and they've enjoyed that hope/anticipation before, it is an almost impossible adjustment.
Chase is in that latter group.

Think of all of the people who have gone mental in prison. Many had been in and out a lot of their life.

Maybe those sentenced to DP or LWOP in California could earn their keep by cleaning up the muck others have created?!
In many states, inmates actually do clean up the mess that others have created. You can see them working along the interstates, rivers, etc. They pick up trash.
Outside work like that is often considered a perk....not something for lifers.

In many states, inmates actually do clean up the mess that others have created. You can see them working along the interstates, rivers, etc. They pick up trash.
I wonder if all states have the prisoner fire service like California does? Those are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen.

I would want some type of work or something to occupy my time. Seeing the same people and surroundings would be enough to drive anyone crazy.

Has the article by Law and Crime been posted where they describe what the defense plans to present to the jury in terms of "lingering doubt?"
It explains in more detail that they plan to tell the jury that they made the wrong decision, they got the wrong guy, hoping they can influence their decision when determining whether to sentence him to death.
I'm assuming it was but I didn't see it here. I wondered what people's response to that was, and if anyone, especially those who are experienced in law, have known this approach to work before.

Personally, I think it's the worst defense strategy they could ever use.

Imo, it is never a wise move to tell any jury they have it all wrong after they have listened to all of the compelling evidence against the defendant.

Imo, it will insult the jury's intelligence, and integrity.

Many of them may not like the way the DT has tried to hoodwink them already, and to try to do it again will not go over well.

This jury has no lingering doubt. None. Imo.

Jmho

Last edited:
So what time does trial start back tomorrow? Also who will be the first witness on the stand?

I hope they have the lead detective on the stand who will go through all of CMs criminal record/ history.

I'm a little confused about Imes saying they would be calling Summer's sister via Skype. Did Imes say she would be a witness in the penalty phase itself?

It seems that would be a part of victim impact statements which is usually done at the time before the judge imposes the sentence.

I have seen some judges do it immediately after the penalty phase has been completed if the sentence recommendation is unanimous, but often imposing the sentence that is done later when the judge sets the date for sentencing.

TIA!

Imoo

Like the mess Merritt created.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.JPG
    IMG_4073.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 49
I wonder if all states have the prisoner fire service like California does? Those are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen.

I would want some type of work or something to occupy my time. Seeing the same people and surroundings would be enough to drive anyone crazy.

Yes, keeping busy is very important for inmates. Especially those who will be released at some point. Anything that can keep them sane is good for society when they are released.

Prisoner fire crews are not nationwide, only in a few states. I'm not a fan of them. I feel like if these inmates are good enough to be trusted to fight the fires and be out of a cell, they deserve to make at least minimum wage. Or at least a chance to be a firefighter when they get out. It's great that they earn time off of their sentence, it still just doesn't seem fair. My kids make more $ for their chores.

Yes, keeping busy is very important for inmates. Especially those who will be released at some point. Anything that can keep them sane is good for society when they are released.

Prisoner fire crews are not nationwide, only in a few states. I'm not a fan of them. I feel like if these inmates are good enough to be trusted to fight the fires and be out of a cell, they deserve to make at least minimum wage. Or at least a chance to be a firefighter when they get out. It's great that they earn time off of their sentence, it still just doesn't seem fair. My kids make more $ for their chores.
Here's what our state has (Arizona). There is no federal or state law prohibiting felons from becoming a firefighter. Additionally, they may not have had a felony conviction related to a position, such as arson, burglary, larceny, or murder.
State Forestry Crews | Department of Forestry and Fire Management

Tuesday, June 18th:
*Penalty Phase Trial (Day 2) (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase Day 1 (6/11/19) reference post #275 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

6/18/19 Day 2: Afternoon session only.
Schedule for Penalty Phase-Week of June 17 thru 21st: NO court-6/17-Monday; Court on 6/18-Tuesday starts @ 1:30pm; Court on 6/19-Wednesday; Court on 6/20-Thursday; Court on 6/21-Friday (Maybe?).
Schedule for Penalty Phase-Week of June 24 thru 28th: Judge will give instructions for deliberations-6/24, Monday; Jury deliberations-6/25, Tuesday and on.

I don't agree they deserve minimum wage since they are already costing the state taxpayers major bucks already in housing them for their own illegal bad acts.

But, I do think advancing their education, and learning a work skill while imprisoned is very important for those who have sentences where they will be returning to society at some point.

I've always felt that each prison inmate should work to reduce the taxpayer's burden.

If they are paid then all of those wages should be returned to the taxpayers to reduce the burden of housing them in the first place.

In our area at one of the prisons all inmates grow all the food they eat including raising cows, chickens, and pigs along with all the vegetables they eat.

They are self sustaining greatly reducing the amount the taxpayers have to pay to house them.

Jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member