CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
LA Times is reporting (per the LAPD officer's lawyer) that the officer was knocked unconscious.

Was that before or after he got off 7-8 shots?

I can see how it makes sense though. It is much harder to aim straight when you are unconscious, and he should therefore not be liable for his actions.

"His son was was in his arms and he was feeding his son some samples when within seconds he was on the ground and woke up from being unconscious and he was fighting for his life"

All sounds very believable. There's a lot going on in that 1 sentence by the lawyer.

Costco shooting: LAPD officer was knocked out by attacker before opening fire, attorney says

If this account is accurate it means that the officer fired his weapon after regaining consciousness from an unproved attack.

Video will tell some of the story. I have a difficult time believing the officer was unconscious. How do you go from being unconscious to drawing your gun and shooting 3 people in the middle of Costco in an instant?

Has anyone else in the store that day reported violent behavior by the victim?

Attorney: LAPD officer in fatal Costco shooting was knocked out, came to and fired gun to protect himself, son – Press Enterprise

An off-duty Los Angeles police officer holding a child was knocked unconscious Friday in an unprovoked assault at a Costco in Corona and when he came to, he fired to protect himself and his son, the officer’s attorney said Monday.

Attorney David Winslow said his client — whom he would not name — was struck from behind without a word being spoken while he was shopping with his wife and son. He was holding his 1 ½-year-old while feeding him teriyaki chicken samples, Winslow said.

I hope the child is unharmed! He was holding and feeding it when he was knocked unconscious from behind. Presumably fell to the ground. What happened to the child?

Was the officer still being attacked when he came to? How long was he out? Was he in fear his child would be harmed?

Would love to see the video(s) of the whole incident before I form an opinion.

Terrible situation.

Definitely need more information. The fact this man was LAPD shouldn’t factor into the equation unless he was acting in an official police capacity.

I will say though that if a person gets hit from behind unprovoked and is knocked unconscious, it is highly unlikely they would even know what happened. Is the implication that this man one up out of a stupor and just started shooting?

I hope the child is unharmed! He was holding and feeding it when he was knocked unconscious from behind. Presumably fell to the ground. What happened to the child?

Was the officer still being attacked when he came to? How long was he out? Was he in fear his child would be harmed?

Would love to see the video(s) of the whole incident before I form an opinion.

Terrible situation.

I agree, and I do wonder if the parents tried to defend their grown son and that is how they ended up getting shot.

I can see how the officer's attorney's statement could be very accurate. It is possible that he was hit from behind while holding his baby son, knocked to the ground, momentarily either loses consciousness or is just completely in shock, looks up and some big guy is coming toward him, is afraid for himself and his son, and fires his weapon. 7 shots is excessive imo, but in the moment, who knows what was going through his mind. I do know that when your child is threatened you are very much in flight or fight mode, especially if you have any sort of PTSD (not saying that is the case here, but a possibility). Maybe French's parents either stepped in front of him or moved toward the officer in defense of their son.

At Costco (from my own experience), there is often a lot of jockeying, over-reaching, jostling, and no personal space around the carts for samples. Not sure how one gets knocked to the ground and unconcious, but to awaken and start shooting seems reckless. How did the officer know that the person he was shooting at was the person who knocked him down? Lots of concerns that a person would start shooting from the ground after they were knocked out even with little time lapsing.

I can see how the officer's attorney's statement could be very accurate. It is possible that he was hit from behind while holding his baby son, knocked to the ground, momentarily either loses consciousness or is just completely in shock, looks up and some big guy is coming toward him, is afraid for himself and his son, and fires his weapon. 7 shots is excessive imo, but in the moment, who knows what was going through his mind. I do know that when your child is threatened you are very much in flight or fight mode, especially if you have any sort of PTSD (not saying that is the case here, but a possibility). Maybe French's parents either stepped in front of him or moved toward the officer in defense of their son.

This is a terrifying scenario. To have people who may not be knowing what is happening just shooting to protect themselves begins to feel like the "wild west" to me. IMO, if that is the case, then this officer should not be on the street patrolling b/c the public is not safe.

The officer in unconscious. What is the baby doing? Everyone else is standing around while a man is on the ground with a baby ( the baby doing what?)

He gets up and starts shooting because he has eyes in the back of his head and knows what happened even after being knocked unconscious.

And of course being knocked unconscious , coming to while your baby is doing what? and then shooting in a crowded grocery store is the right thing to do ?

Sounds like murder of some kind to me

O/T but important in life.

All I meant that at some point he could use verbal communication because he was posting on social media until recently (using words in sentences).

@jjenny - SBM: Perhaps this is a learning moment for others too. Non-verbal people post on social media. People who have never spoken a word in their lives can and do post on social media. One doesn't need verbal skills to be able to form and share thoughts and sentences. Some of those folks might be among us. Some of those among us might have non-verbal children, SOs, family members, or friends, and inferring they can't post on social media is just incorrect. That is sometimes the only communication they have. That is what I meant about having compassion. We never know what battles (or celebrations) everyone is facing in a community like this.

I dont buy the cops story at all. Makes no sense. And if it's true, he was Extremely reckless to pop up and start shooting 6-7 shots.
Remember there was no injuries on his or the childs side.

I want to see the tape. LE lies all the time. Look at what the officers in Pheonix who claimed to be scared for their life of the young couple, but the tapes shown they attacked the couple and threatened to kill them and their children.

I dont buy the cops story at all. Makes no sense. And if it's true, he was Extremely reckless to pop up and start shooting 6-7 shots.
Remember there was no injuries on his or the childs side.

I want to see the tape. LE lies all the time. Look at what the officers in Pheonix who claimed to be scared for their life of the young couple, but the tapes shown they attacked the couple and threatened to kill them and their children.

That was absolutely horrifying to watch. There really needs to be an evaluation of the hiring and training process regarding that incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆