Found Deceased WA - Gavin Johnston, 28, hiker, Pacific Coast Trail, Skykomish, 18 Oct 2018

Unfortunately he’s been found deceased on the Pacific Crest Trail near Glacier Lake. Here is the post his family made on the official FB page.

Para Clete
This is so sad to hear but I'm glad he was found. Rest peacefully, Gavin.
t115001.gif

Glacier Lake is not far from where he started at Stevens Pass (maybe 15-16 miles along the PCT, if I got the details added right from the route description on this forest service site: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Pacific Crest Trail 2000 Stevens Pass S )

So whatever happened to Gavin, he likely only hiked on the trail one or two days to reach the area where he was found. RIP in nature's beauty, Gavin.

Wow, they found Gavin. So bitter sweet.

I recall following this case from the beginning, he went missing about 2 months after Sam Sayers did. He had no hiking experience and set out in such a vast area, I feared he would never be found. I recall his family actively out searching (I was worried about them too) and posting laminated fliers along the trail and everywhere possible in hopes that someone had seen him and soon after the bad weather set in. It felt intentional but I wasn't sure if he got lost and caught in bad weather or if he met foul play.

Gavin Johnston made it less than 15 miles south from Stevens Pass before coming to a stop. He set up camp away from the trail, toward Glacier Lake, such that passersby might miss him as they walked by, Marvin Johnston said.

Tied to his tent was a note, written on the paper wrapping from a flare. On it, Gavin Johnston explained he had run out of food and would likely die soon. He wrote about what he wanted his funeral arrangements to look like, said Gavin’s uncle, Carl Johnston.

Also on the note was a date. Marvin Johnston believes his son was in the wilderness for about 25 days before he passed away.

RIP Gavin. Peace and Love to your family and friends.

Wow, they found Gavin. So bitter sweet.

I recall following this case from the beginning, he went missing about 2 months after Sam Sayers did. He had no hiking experience and set out in such a vast area, I feared he would never be found. I recall his family actively out searching (I was worried about them too) and posting laminated fliers along the trail and everywhere possible in hopes that someone had seen him and soon after the bad weather set in. It felt intentional but I wasn't sure if he got lost and caught in bad weather or if he met foul play.

Gavin Johnston made it less than 15 miles south from Stevens Pass before coming to a stop. He set up camp away from the trail, toward Glacier Lake, such that passersby might miss him as they walked by, Marvin Johnston said.

Tied to his tent was a note, written on the paper wrapping from a flare. On it, Gavin Johnston explained he had run out of food and would likely die soon. He wrote about what he wanted his funeral arrangements to look like, said Gavin’s uncle, Carl Johnston.

Also on the note was a date. Marvin Johnston believes his son was in the wilderness for about 25 days before he passed away.

RIP Gavin. Peace and Love to your family and friends.
That was a beautifully written news article about Gavin. I'm glad I followed the link, which I also missed seeing because of my tears. I'm repeating the link:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/missing-for-8-months-everett-man-found-dead-in-cascades/

RIP Gavin. As Gavin's uncle stated in the article, they can now have a funeral and celebrate Gavin's life.

A view south of Glacier Lake, from the outlet. Stunning wilderness:

upload_2019-6-21_21-11-59.png
Photo courtesy of Surprise Lake Trail & Glacier Lake

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member