Found Safe SC - Torrold "Rod" Smart, 42, Indian Island, 12 June 2019 *ex Panthers football player*

Cagle

Reaction score
A sheriff is asking for help finding a missing man who use to play for the Carolina Panthers.

The Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office said 42-year-old Torrold Smart, also known as Rod Smart, was last seen at about 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday in Indian Island, South Carolina.

“It is unusual for him to be out of touch for this long,” the sheriff’s office said. “Mr. Smart’s family is worried about his safety and well-being.”

Deputies believe he is driving a silver 2016 Nissan Maxima with North Carolina tags PJRI1759.

He is described as a 6-foot-tall man weighing about 199 pounds. He has brown eyes and black hair.

The Herald reports he is a former player for the Carolina Panthers.

He spent four seasons between 2002 and 2005 with the Carolina Panthers, including winning the NFC Championship in 2003.

Anyone with information about Smart’s whereabouts is asked to call (803) 283-3388.

South Carolina sheriff’s office searching for missing former Carolina Panther

gettyimages-53165938.jpg

Damn! I remember when he had He Hate Me on his jersey in the XFL. Anytime something like this happens to a football player, I immediately think of CTE as well as any other mental illness that could be linked to or stem from repeated concussions/hard blows to the head due to years and years of competitive level football.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...arolina/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bc4b2ed04bed

SABBM:
Torrold “Rod” Smart, 42, has not been seen since June 12, Lancaster County, S.C., deputies said. He was last seen near Indian Land, a Charlotte suburb just over the state line in South Carolina.

He was last seen driving a silver 2016 Nissan Maxima with the North Carolina license plate PJR_1759, deputies said, and anyone who sees him is asked to call the Lancaster County Sheriff’s office at 803-283-3388.

I wonder who he was last seen with and where he was headed, if known.

Hopefully, we'll learn more about the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...arolina/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bc4b2ed04bed

SABBM:
Torrold “Rod” Smart, 42, has not been seen since June 12, Lancaster County, S.C., deputies said. He was last seen near Indian Land, a Charlotte suburb just over the state line in South Carolina.

He was last seen driving a silver 2016 Nissan Maxima with the North Carolina license plate PJR_1759, deputies said, and anyone who sees him is asked to call the Lancaster County Sheriff’s office at 803-283-3388.

I wonder who he was last seen with, what time he was last seen on June 12th and where he was headed, if known.

I think a 2016 Maxima MAY be equipped with GPS but I'm assuming police would have already looked into that.

I think a 2016 Maxima MAY be equipped with GPS but I'm assuming police would have already looked into that.
Not all 2016 Maximas have GPS, it is an extra feature that you can purchase with the vehicle I think. FWIW my mom drives a '19 Sentra (same make, different model) that is not equipped with GPS. She said you have to explicitly ask for it at the Nissan dealership when purchasing and it costs more.

Not all 2016 Maximas have GPS, it is an extra feature that you can purchase with the vehicle I think. FWIW my mom drives a '19 Sentra (same make, different model) that is not equipped with GPS. She said you have to explicitly ask for it at the Nissan dealership when purchasing and it costs more.

Understood, not all that familiar with his finances, and I know it has been some time since his active career but it's not out of the realm of possibility that a former NFL player could afford the GPS.

Understood, not all that familiar with his finances, and I know it has been some time since his active career but it's not out of the realm of possibility that a former NFL player could afford the GPS.
Agreed that it's just as likely as not that his vehicle is equipped with GPS given his former career.

Given the lack of information being released about the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, this has a little bit of a "voluntarily missing" vibe to me.

The fact that the public is just now being alerted to his disappearance, when he went missing nearly a week ago, also indicates he may be voluntarily missing right now.

Anything's possible, though, obviously, including:
  • Vehicular Accident
  • Voluntarily Missing
  • Medical/Mental Health Issue
  • Foul Play
  • Self-Harm
JMO.

Agreed that it's just as likely as not that his vehicle is equipped with GPS given his former career.

Given the lack of information being released about the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, this has a little bit of a "voluntarily missing" vibe to me.

The fact that the public is just now being alerted to his disappearance, when he went missing nearly a week ago, also indicates he may be voluntarily missing right now.

Anything's possible, though, obviously.

JMO.

At this point anything is certainly possible. I certainly hope it's not a case of voluntarily missing in order to cause some self harm, but there is a lengthy list of former football players who have committed suicide, and post-mortem
examinations have reflected signs of CTE and brain trauma. Naturally I'd love for that to not be the case and have it be something as simple as he went off with a new lady friend but I don't think that would explain no contact with his family.

Hopefully at least the car can be located soon so we can start working our way towards some sort of potential answers, MOO.

Last edited:
At this point anything is certainly possible. I certainly hope it's not a case of voluntarily missing in order to cause some self harm, but there is a lengthy list of former football players who have committed suicide and post-mortem
examinations have reflected signs of CTE and brain trauma. Naturally I'd love for that to not be the case and have it be something as simple as he went off with a new lady friend but I don't think that would explain no contact with his family.

Hopefully at least the car can be located soon so we can start working our way towards some sort of potential answers, MOO.

BBM:

Agreed that this is a concern...I went back and edited my post to indicate possible missing scenarios, including both Self-Harm and some type of Medical/Mental Health Issue.

Like you, I hope neither is the case here.

He may in fact be voluntarily missing if the "family" who reported him missing is a spouse and he went off to be with a gf or something. I don't know if TS is married or whether he has kids or not, though.

Last Sunday was Father's Day. If he has kids, it's hard to imagine he'd take off without contacting them, even if he ran off with someone.

Anybody know his marital status, etc.?

Last edited:
Rod Smart - Wikipedia

SABBM:
After being released by the Oakland Raiders, Smart became a personal trainer, before appearing in Don’t Blame The Lettuce.[12] He currently lives in Charlotte, North Carolina and purportedly works as a high school guidance counselor.[13] He also owns his own business, SmartSize.

Attempting to answer my own question re: his personal life.
Nothing here about his being married or having kids, so it's doubtful we're looking at a situation where he took off to start a new life. That's more the stuff of Lifetime movies, anyway...it rarely happens in real life.

Given that he apparently works as a high school guidance counselor, and that school likely recently let out, maybe he just off for an adventure without notifying family members.

Trying to think best case scenario right now.

JMO.

Last edited:
It is actually Indian Land, SC-We are a very small town but very close to Charlotte (I work in Charlotte). I am not sure which school he works for, but Indian Land High School is where my son attends and I haven't heard his name mentioned before.
I really hope everything is OK with him.

Former Carolina Panthers RB, XFL 'He Hate Me' star Rod Smart reported missing

Former NFL running back Rod Smart — who became known as "He Hate Me" during his brief stint in the XFL — has been classified as a "missing endangered person" by police in South Carolina.

The Lancaster (S.C.) County Sheriff's Office announced Tuesday that it is seeking information about the whereabouts of Smart, whose given first name is Torrold. The 42-year-old was last seen Wednesday morning — a little more than six days ago — in Indian Land, South Carolina.

"It is unusual for him to be out of touch for this long," the sheriff's office wrote in a missing person advisory. "Mr. Smart's family is worried about his safety and well-being."

Former Carolina Panthers RB, XFL 'He Hate Me' star Rod Smart reported missing

Former NFL running back Rod Smart — who became known as "He Hate Me" during his brief stint in the XFL — has been classified as a "missing endangered person" by police in South Carolina.

The Lancaster (S.C.) County Sheriff's Office announced Tuesday that it is seeking information about the whereabouts of Smart, whose given first name is Torrold. The 42-year-old was last seen Wednesday morning — a little more than six days ago — in Indian Land, South Carolina.

"It is unusual for him to be out of touch for this long," the sheriff's office wrote in a missing person advisory. "Mr. Smart's family is worried about his safety and well-being."

See below. There's actually already a thread started for RS...maybe you can alert a mod so they can merge the threads?

SC - SC - Torrold "Rod" Smart, 42, Indian Island, 12 June 2019 *ex Panthers football player*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715
Back