Found Deceased VA - Chad Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019

You know, I’m still keeping open the option that someone took Chad in their vehicle and that’s why they can’t find him. Afaik, none of the search and rescue dogs caught his scent. Of course, idk that for sure. It’s just what I’ve deduced from the msm articles and the fb page. It’s soo easy to hop onto I-81 or even I-64 from Buena Vista. I hope they find him and get him to safety. This case stays on my mind. jmo

I wonder if his own dog could track him.
I wish.
The fact that his dog was locked in the truck & iirc the windows were up...that is alarming to me. Nobody who loves their dog the way he surely seemed to love his would EVER leave their dog like that unless they’d only planned to step just outside the truck and right back in. The inside of a vehicle heats way hotter than the outside temp. Quickly. He’d never have put his dog in that situation. As to whatever happened to him, I don’t think he intended to be outside that truck more than a brief minute. I’m glad they rescued his dog out of the vehicle. If only our dogs could talk, because you know it likely knows what happened to him.:(
jmo

Too many cases on here of suicide where the person left their pet behind. People commit suicide and leave their human kids behind. One case, the woman had waited a month to adopt a cat, and within a week killed herself.

Hello. I am also from Buena Vista and I've been reading the posts from you all until I finally decided to create an account. I think it it important to know that according to the local newspaper, Chad's car was out of gas when it was found. It also said that he stopped at a gas station here in Buena Vista before heading up the mountain. The gas station attendant said he put in a total of $1.22 in gas, paying with coins. This article (which I believe includes pertinent details) was in the The News Gazette paper out of Lexington the week following his disappearance.

Hello. I am also from Buena Vista and I've been reading the posts from you all until I finally decided to create an account. I think it it important to know that according to the local newspaper, Chad's car was out of gas when it was found. It also said that he stopped at a gas station here in Buena Vista before heading up the mountain. The gas station attendant said he put in a total of $1.22 in gas, paying with coins. This article (which I believe includes pertinent details) was in the The News Gazette paper out of Lexington the week following his disappearance.

Welcome to Websleuths!!!

So happy to have a local. I hope they find Chad safe.

Thanks! I hope, for his family's sake, that they do receive some answers. I know his mother and she is amazing. I hate that they are going through this.
Sorry for the circumstances bringing you to join us, do you know if there is active daily searches being conducted. Can you tell us about the terrain in which his vehicle was located ?

well why would he drive up the mountain knowing he was going to run out of gas and clearly had no other money ... the only reason I can think of is that he knew he was going to commit suicide and wouldn't be needing more gas

if he was just stepping out for a pee or a walk or a minute, he would've taken his dog so his dog could pee too

IMO he knew he wasn't coming back to the vehicle

well why would he drive up the mountain knowing he was going to run out of gas and clearly had no other money ... the only reason I can think of is that he knew he was going to commit suicide and wouldn't be needing more gas

if he was just stepping out for a pee or a walk or a minute, he would've taken his dog so his dog could pee too

IMO he knew he wasn't coming back to the vehicle
I would 100% agree with this, UNLESS they found his car with all the windows rolled up. In that case i think something else (foul play, accident) happened as he likely wouldn’t want his pup to suffocate while waiting for someone to take notice..

I would 100% agree with this, UNLESS they found his car with all the windows rolled up. In that case i think something else (foul play, accident) happened as he likely wouldn’t want his pup to suffocate while waiting for someone to take notice..

except that he knew he wasn't coming back IMO
he knew he wouldn't have gas to get back IMO
so I think at that point, common sense has left and he's no longer thinking what is best for his dog or he's experiencing a distorted thought process that tells him he's doing the right thing by leaving his dog and that someone will rescue him

Well I question whether he had a leash for his dog. If he did run out of gas and was trying to find help .. he wouldn’t want to walk a dog down that mountain without one.

originally from: The News Gazette, Lexington, VA

Attachments

• 79547C19-53B6-46B0-9B00-11BF0DEE90B7.jpeg
    79547C19-53B6-46B0-9B00-11BF0DEE90B7.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 110
  • BA15AE74-6770-4A42-8F48-2581EB5054A4.jpeg
    BA15AE74-6770-4A42-8F48-2581EB5054A4.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online