GUILTY VA - Steven Dale Meek II, 2, sexually abused, died of brutal trauma, Jan 11 2019 *arrests*

Virginia Courts Case Information (Circuit)
Virginia Court Case Information
Montgomery County Circuit - Criminal Division
Click on Case Number for Details

CaseNumber Defendant Charge Hear Date Status
CR19000376-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE ABUSE CHILD, DISREGARD LIFE 06/19/2019 Active
CR19000377-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE CHILD *advertiser censored*: REPRODUCE 06/19/2019 Active
CR19000378-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE PROD CHILD *advertiser censored* <15, OFFNDR 7+ 06/19/2019 Active
CR19000379-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE SODOMY:VIC<13Y/SUSP>14Y INDICT 06/19/2019 Active
CR19000380-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE SX-OBJ:VIC<13Y/SUSP>18Y INDICT 06/19/2019 Active

Case Number: CR19000376-00
Filed: 03/11/2019
Commenced by: Indictment
Locality: COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Defendant: THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE

Hearings
# Date Time Type Room Plea Duration Jury Result
1 04/23/2019 1:00PM Grand Jury True Bill
2 06/19/2019 9:00AM Plea 4C

Thursday, May 30th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ ET) – VA – Stephen Dale Meek II (2) (Jan. 11, 2019, Christiansburg; sexually abused & blunt force trauma, died Jan. 13, 2019) – only for *McKenzie Kyle Hellman (25) (BF) arrested (1/13/19) & charge (1/17/19) with felony murder, aggravated sexual battery, inanimate sexual penetration, accessory to forcible sodomy, possession of child *advertiser censored* & 2 counts of accessory after the fact to product child *advertiser censored*. Held without bond.
2/28/19 Update: Waiting for autopsy report, preliminary hearing continued to 5/30.
*Kayla Nicole Thomas (25) “mom” arrested & charged (1/16/19) with forcible sodomy, inanimate object penetration of a person less than 13 yrs old, possession, production & distribution of child *advertiser censored* & child neglect. Held without bond.
Preliminary hearing on 2/28/19. 2/28/19: Grand jury hearing on 4/9. 4/9/19: Plea hearing on 6/10.

McKenzie Kyle Hellman, accused of murdering his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son, and of helping her sexually abuse the boy and make child *advertiser censored*, should undergo a mental evaluation, his attorney said Thursday.

“There have been some indications and there have been some letters he has written that indicate that there are some profound issues we need to address,” defense attorney Fred Kellerman of Christiansburg said during a hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Kellerman said that he has learned that Hellman was involuntarily committed to mental health facilities several times, but has not yet reviewed medical records that might give details about what happened.

Judge Philip Trompeter ordered that Hellman undergo an evaluation to determine his mental competency to stand trial and also his state of mind at the time of the incidents that prompted the array of charges that he faces. Trompeter scheduled a Sept. 5 review date for the court to receive the results of the evaluation and decide how to proceed.

Just to think this went on in the neighboring town. They had a roomate. You would think they would have noticed what was going on or at least suspect something

It blows my mind that not all of these kids are totally isolated. They have parents with joint custody... it's amazing these people get away with this.

Then again, I know there are the cases where the non abusive parent TRIED to report the abuse and wasn't allowed to do so, or was threatened with losing custody. So, maybe there were suspicions but nothing could be done.

Wednesday, June 19th:
*Plea Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Stephen Dale Meek II (2) (Jan. 11, 2019, Christiansburg; sexually abused & blunt force trauma, died Jan. 13, 2019) – only for *Kayla Nicole Thomas (25) “mom” arrested & charged (1/16/19) with forcible sodomy, inanimate object penetration of a person less than 13 yrs old, possession, production & distribution of child *advertiser censored* & child neglect. Held without bond.
Preliminary hearing on 2/28/19. 2/28/19: Grand jury hearing on 4/9. 4/9/19: Plea hearing on 6/19.
*McKenzie Kyle Hellman (25) (BF) arrested (1/13/19) & charge (1/17/19) with felony murder, aggravated sexual battery, inanimate sexual penetration, accessory to forcible sodomy, possession of child *advertiser censored* & 2 counts of accessory after the fact to product child *advertiser censored*. Held without bond.
2/28/19 Update: Waiting for autopsy report, preliminary hearing continued to 5/30.
5/30/19 Update: Judge Philip Trompeter ordered that Hellman undergo an evaluation to determine his mental competency to stand trial and also his state of mind at the time of the incidents that prompted the array of charges that he faces. Trompeter scheduled a Sept. 5 review date for the court to receive the results of the evaluation and decide how to proceed.

Plea Hearing Continued to 10/16/2019
Virginia Court Case Information

CaseNumber Defendant Charge Hear Date Status
CR19000376-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE ABUSE CHILD, DISREGARD LIFE 10/16/2019 Active
CR19000377-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE CHILD *advertiser censored*: REPRODUCE 10/16/2019 Active
CR19000378-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE PROD CHILD *advertiser censored* <15, OFFNDR 7+ 10/16/2019 Active
CR19000379-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE SODOMY:VIC<13Y/SUSP>14Y INDICT 10/16/2019 Active
CR19000380-00 THOMAS, KAYLA NICOLE SX-OBJ:VIC<13Y/SUSP>18Y INDICT 10/16/2019 Active

Hearings
2 06/19/2019 9:00AM Plea 4C Continued
3 10/16/2019 9:00AM Plea 4C

Thursday, Sept. 5th:
*Review Hearing (re Competence) (@ ET) – VA – Stephen Dale Meek II (2) (Jan. 11, 2019, Christiansburg; sexually abused & blunt force trauma, died Jan. 13, 2019) – only for *McKenzie Kyle Hellman (25) (BF) arrested (1/13/19) & charge (1/17/19) with felony murder, aggravated sexual battery, inanimate sexual penetration, accessory to forcible sodomy, possession of child *advertiser censored* & 2 counts of accessory after the fact to product child *advertiser censored*. Held without bond.
5/30/19 Update: Judge Philip Trompeter ordered that Hellman undergo an evaluation to determine his mental competency to stand trial and also his state of mind at the time of the incidents that prompted the array of charges that he faces. Trompeter scheduled a Sept. 5 review date for the court to receive the results of the evaluation and decide how to proceed.

*Kayla Nicole Thomas (25) “mom” arrested & charged (1/16/19) with forcible sodomy, inanimate object penetration of a person less than 13 yrs old, possession, production & distribution of child *advertiser censored* & child neglect. Held without bond.
Preliminary hearing on 2/28/19. 2/28/19: Grand jury hearing on 4/9. 4/9/19: Plea hearing on 6/19. Rescheduled for 10/16.

Court search:
I don't find HELLMAN
Next THOMAS hearing is 10/16/2019

Hearings
2 06/19/2019 9:00AM Plea 4C Continued

3 10/16/2019 9:00AM Plea 4C

Pleadings/Orders Detail
Filed Type Remarks
07/01/2019 Continuance Order
09/04/2019 Other MEDIA REQUEST-DENIED

Christiansburg murder case waits on psychological report

Sept 7, 2019

"CHRISTIANSBURG — The case of a man charged with the sexual abuse and murder of his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son, and with helping her create child *advertiser censored*, is waiting on a review of psychological records, attorneys said last week in Montgomery County’s Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

McKenzie Kyle Hellman, of Christiansburg, who was 25 when he was arrested in January, appeared for a hearing that lasted just minutes Thursday. Judge Robert Viar approved a joint request from defense attorney Fred Kellerman of Christiansburg and Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Cristina Agee to continue the case until at least Oct. 24.

Kellerman said that an evaluation of Hellman’s mental competency that a judge ordered in May has not been completed due to a delay in getting medical records. Those records were eventually obtained and turned over to a doctor last month, Kellerman said. He and Agee told the judge that the case might need to be pushed beyond Oct. 24, but that for now, they wished to leave that date on the calendar as a placeholder.

Hellman was charged with felony murder for the Jan. 13 death of Steven Dale Meek II, the son of Hellman’s girlfriend Kayla Nicole Thomas. In Virginia, felony murder is a charge that alleges a victim died during the commission of another felony.
Hellman also is charged with child abuse, two counts of aggravated sexual battery of a child younger than 13, solicitation of a child younger than 15 for sexual purposes, accessory to forcible sodomy of a child younger than 13, accessory to inanimate object penetration of a child younger than 13, accessory before the fact to producing child *advertiser censored*, accessory before the fact to distributing child *advertiser censored*, and possessing child *advertiser censored*.

Thomas, 25, is charged with sodomy of her son, inanimate object penetration of a person younger than 13, production of child *advertiser censored* involving a child younger than 15, possession and distribution of child *advertiser censored*, and child abuse and neglect. She has a plea hearing scheduled for Oct. 16 in the county’s Circuit Court...."

Christiansburg murder case waits on psychological report

5c469c4c4f8ca.preview.jpg

Just got this in my google alert:

Christiansburg man accused of killing girlfriend's toddler son sees case continued

McKenzie Hellman, who is accused of killing his girlfriend's 2-year-old son, was set to have his mental evaluation reviewed in court Thursday.

However, Hellman's attorneys and the court do not have the mental evaluation report back from the doctor. They said the doctor received information 10 days ago but has not gotten a report together yet for the court.

The case will continue in court with a preliminary date of Oct. 24 at 3 p.m.

Oops - just saw your post YESorNO - oh well - the more the merrier, eh? :D

Wednesday, October 16th:
*Plea Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Stephen Dale Meek II (2) (Jan. 11, 2019, Christiansburg; sexually abused & blunt force trauma, died Jan. 13, 2019) – only for *Kayla Nicole Thomas (25) “mom” arrested & charged (1/16/19) with forcible sodomy, inanimate object penetration of a person less than 13 yrs old, possession, production & distribution of child *advertiser censored* & child neglect. Held without bond.
Preliminary hearing on 2/28/19. 2/28/19: Grand jury hearing on 4/9. 4/9/19: Plea hearing on 6/19.
6/19/19 Update: Plea hearing rescheduled for 10/16.
*McKenzie Kyle Hellman (25) (BF) – Preliminary hearing on 10/24.

Plea delayed again for Christiansburg mother accused of abusing son
Updated: Wed 10:38 AM, Oct 16, 2019
CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WDBJ) -- The fate of a Christiansburg woman accused of abusing her two-year-old son is on hold again. In court Wednesday, October 16, her case was continued until March 2020.

Kayla Thomas was scheduled for a plea in Montgomery Circuit Court in June, but the hearing was moved to October before being delayed again.
[...]
About the delay, Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney Mary K. Pettitt says, "Both the defense and prosecution are trying to keep the Thomas and Hellman cases on the same general timeframe. Hellman’s case has moved more slowly since he had a competency evaluation done. When we set Thomas in July we expected Hellman’s evaluation to be completed and his case to have moved on to Circuit Court but it has not."
[...]

Thanks for the update SeesSeas. I've tried going into the Montgomery Circuit court, but it's sending me in circles.... Is there any date in March for Thomas?

TIA! :)

The thing that I lose sleep over the most, and in this case there are many things, but worst of all is the the thought that in this precious little boy's very short time here that is all he knew of life. To him, that was all life was. I can not imagine how miserable and sad that must have felt. He only had a couple short years on this Earth and he spent it treated like an object for others to inflict pain on.

His fear must have been something so immense that we could never comprehend just how it must have felt. I hurt that a child so young probably dreaded waking up each day and it makes me feel broken inside for him. That was what he thought living was because that is all he knew of life. Can you even imagine what he died thinking this world is, what this life is? For this baby boy it was pure hell from start to finish.

I find it hard to keep any ounce of faith in a higher power, a supreme being, or anything when I see a story like this. They say to have faith because there is a reason for everything. I can't keep that attitude when I keep seeing innocent children die each and every day in such horrendous ways before their lives even began. I see no purpose these deaths can serve and if our creator is so divine he could find a better, less horrible way to get things accomplished. Even with the devil argument, it still makes no sense. They say God is more powerful than the devil, so why not protect the most vulnerable among us with those greater powers. I'm sorry... Just losing all of these babies all the time to such nonsensical, sickening abuse will make you begin to question things to a greater extent. I can't be the only one feeling this way, surely.

This was just one of those cases that you find yourself feeling a hollow hopelessness inside after reading. His one chance at life and that's what he got... I will never get over it. I think about how he laid alone at night, once they were done torturing him, so lonely, probably cold, maybe hungry, and definitely scared, and no one was there to love him, hold him, or save him. Sometimes I strongly dislike my own species.

These 2 monsters raped and murdered this beautiful 2 yr old, while making child *advertiser censored*.

Instead of postponing their trials over and over, maybe they should just be marched to the back of the barn and shot in the back of their heads, execution style. It would be more ethical than what they did to this poor sweet baby.

Thanks for the update SeesSeas. I've tried going into the Montgomery Circuit court, but it's sending me in circles.... Is there any date in March for Thomas?

TIA! :)
March 18, 2020

Hearings
4 03/18/2020 9:00AM Plea 4C

Pleadings/Orders Detail
Filed Type Remarks

10/15/2019 Request MEDIA
10/15/2019 Request MEDIA DENIED
10/16/2019 Jail Card CONTINUED CUSTODY

Members online

Online statistics