Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree.

I actually thought the Cary Strayner/Yosemite killed example was pertinent. He sexually assaulted and killed one woman who was totally by herself (Joie Armstrong), but in the other incident he killed 3. The daughter and foreign exchange student were both teens. True, the situation is different because at the resort he attacked them in an enclosed setting (the hotel room), but it's an example of how a single person took control of 3 people at the same time by using a gun and a knife. Most likely Carole Sunde was not the original intended victim. She was killed first. And then, apparently, the first teen was killed because she was fighting back. Juli Sunde was killed hours later when he slit her throat.

Zero connection between the cases, but as a precedent it shows that it's not impossible for a single man to take control over more than one person. He used a gun to gain control and then killed with a knife. Also not impossible that a killer had a double murder as their first major crime. Stayner had not killed before the 3 women. He'd committed crimes, but the Sunde/Pelosso murders were his first.

That was a really weird case. You never know what is going inside someone’s head. I thought the initial encounter was in their room though.

MOO "getting around quickly" can mean just being quick, or it can mean avoiding an obstacle by going around it.
MOO sounded to me like they meant the obstacle was walking back on trail where there were potential witnesses, and he got around them quickly.

That was a really weird case. You never know what is going inside someone’s head. I thought the initial encounter was in their room though.

The greatest police CS mishandling I have ever heard of came from that case.
The FBI agents had the motel handyman help them take evidence out of the motel room, Staynor was the hotel handyman.

I think DS is a very possible bridge guy, perhaps acting rashly because he knows time is short anyway. He would have been about 19 at the time. Or, he could have put someone else up to it, but why a male? He looks an awful lot like the sketch ..... also, Can we sleuth those arrested for another crime? I couldn't find that in the rules....sorry if I am inadvertently violating.

I think DS is a very possible bridge guy, perhaps acting rashly because he knows time is short anyway. He would have been about 19 at the time. Or, he could have put someone else up to it, but why a male? He looks an awful lot like the sketch ..... also, Can we sleuth those arrested for another crime? I couldn't find that in the rules....sorry if I am inadvertently violating.
Yes, against TOS as he has not been named as a POI in this case. I made that mistake a couple days ago with someone else :(

Who is DS?

sorry forgot to link..... he is the evil dude in the cynthia hoffman case.

Here I am from Michigan, telling you that voice sounds like ANY Midwestern male. In my opinion over 30 years old.

Yup (not from the Midwest, but lived there for five years), and I agree that he sounds and, more so, *looks* older than 30 (though I am notoriously bad about guessing ages).

But, I do think the combination of the photo(s) and the voice would be unmistakable to someone who knows him.

Yes. That poor Stayner family. The one son is kidnapped, held for 7 or 8 years, and then dies in a motorcycle accident, and the second one is a vicious serial killer on death row.

Thank you for asking this! I’ve been trying to figure out where the actual scene is after the YTers got it wrong comment. I know it’s near the cemetery, but is it closer to the N end of the bridge or further away? I will say, LE has done a phenomenal job out keeping things quiet. No leaks-very impressive.

Yes to this. I saved this picture a while back to discuss, and this seems like a good place.

delphicarcrimetape.jpg

Edited to add link:https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1e...67-NJC-9827.jpg?width=520&height=390&fit=crop

I see crime tape, an embankment and what looks like two vehicles parked at the top of the photo. But I was under the impression that the crime scene was a long way from a road. Is there anyone that would like to take a gander?

Last edited:
Yup (not from the Midwest, but lived there for five years), and I agree that he sounds and, more so, *looks* older than 30 (though I am notoriously bad about guessing ages).

But, I do think the combination of the photo(s) and the voice would be unmistakable to someone who knows him.

I agree, the audio to me sounds older. Definitely midwest. The "down the hill" part is even a little more "country southern" than some midwest accents, but the "guys" rules out true southern .....all my southern friends say y'all and would never says guys. Mountain states also say guys, but the down the hill part would be sharper. Kentucky says y'all so I think he is originally from Indiana or perhaps Ohio. All obviously JMO from my own experience!

Everything about the audio and video to me says middle aged, bit of a beer gut, probably a double chin, unpleasant personality (the sort of look about him that you would dread having to sit next to on an airplane with a squirming toddler), generic looking. Angry.

But then the sketch looks nothing like that! Sketch looks like sociopathic frat boy. The audio SO doesn't match the sketch for me! But I honestly don't know if that is because I associated the voice for so long with the first sketch and the video, which is heavily pixelated.

It's just such a shame all the fresh memories were wasted on the wrong sketch. What the heck happened! How can LE have enough evidence to completely change the sketch, but not enough to make an arrest yet?

I agree, the audio to me sounds older. Definitely midwest. The "down the hill" part is even a little more "country southern" than some midwest accents, but the "guys" rules out true southern .....all my southern friends say y'all and would never says guys. Mountain states also say guys, but the down the hill part would be sharper. Kentucky says y'all so I think he is originally from Indiana or perhaps Ohio. All obviously JMO from my own experience!

Everything about the audio and video to me says middle aged, bit of a beer gut, probably a double chin, unpleasant personality (the sort of look about him that you would dread having to sit next to on an airplane with a squirming toddler), generic looking. Angry.

But then the sketch looks nothing like that! Sketch looks like sociopathic frat boy. The audio SO doesn't match the sketch for me! But I honestly don't know if that is because I associated the voice for so long with the first sketch and the video, which is heavily pixelated.

It's just such a shame all the fresh memories were wasted on the wrong sketch. What the heck happened! How can LE have enough evidence to completely change the sketch, but not enough to make an arrest yet?
Yes everything with the new sketch is so contrary to what my brain is see and hearing. That is why, like I stated in one of my post yesterday that there must be something so big, so undeniably evident to LE that made them change directions and put out the new sketch. What is it?????

I agree, the audio to me sounds older. Definitely midwest. The "down the hill" part is even a little more "country southern" than some midwest accents, but the "guys" rules out true southern .....all my southern friends say y'all and would never says guys. Mountain states also say guys, but the down the hill part would be sharper. Kentucky says y'all so I think he is originally from Indiana or perhaps Ohio.
Indiana apparently has a mix of accents ranging from 6:00 news Midwest, to Chicago light, to southern light, and even some locals with a distinctly southern accent.

My guess is that the accent hodgepodge may lead to some locals borrowing syntax or inflections from neighboring accent groups. As a result, an individual from Indiana could mix over all southern influenced inflections with northern syntax (“guys”).

But then the sketch looks nothing like that! Sketch looks like sociopathic frat boy.
Very well said.

Your vivid description of a some-what unsettling, but generic middle aged man fit my initial mental image as well. I also feel that the new "frat boy" sketch gives off vague “vibes” of a better educated individual- or if not better educated in the formal sense, an inherently intelligent individual.

Last edited:

Nice post.

Interesting ,as I also have Voice/Sketch/BG mismatch.

However, I hear voice very clean cut, formal,suit and tie, civil service/middle management/clerk, 28/30

I See BG , not in detail but as overall impression , either as Facially Chubby, bumfluff tache, 25, farmer/labourer, very local standard.....or.... Middle aged, overweight, scruffy, arsecrack showing drunkard.

Younger Sketch I see clean, 20ish, goodboy, arrogant

Delphi's in the northern-ish part of the state, not far from where I lived in W. Lafayette. From my limited experience and the few words spoken, he sounds consistent with the area.

I'm not clear on the origins or the background on the sketches, but what I think is the first one (scruffy 30+ year old with hat) seems more consistent with what I'm seeing than the second one (18 year old clean-shaven guy).

(edit) In other words, what Spy v. Spy said :)

Did he say "guys"?? I totally did not hear that! Just "down the hill".

Delphi's in the northern-ish part of the state, not far from where I lived in W. Lafayette. From my limited experience and the few words spoken, he sounds consistent with the area.

I'm not clear on the origins or the background on the sketches, but what I think is the first one (scruffy 30+ year old with hat) seems more consistent with what I'm seeing than the second one (18 year old clean-shaven guy).

(edit) In other words, what Spy v. Spy said :)

Did he say "guys"?? I totally did not hear that! Just "down the hill".
Are you listening to the original release ( ie pre April 2019 Press Conf?)

Extra audio was released then...just the word 'Guys...'

https://www.in.gov/isp/files/Delphi_Audio_Edited_2019x3.wav

Or

Video and audio released of suspect in Delphi murders

'Guys.........Down the Hill'

HTH

Eta extra word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online