Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bit confusing ...

First "I didn't see him leaving before me, I don't know when he left the bar before us."

Then "An hour later he was kicked out of Cheeky Monkeys."

Perhaps he means that he now knows Theo was kicked out an hour after they all got there. But at the time, he didn't know when Theo left.

I read it as:

"I didn't see him leaving the bar, I don't know (exactly) when he left. An hour later (after arriving) he had been kicked out".

"I can't tell what time I last saw him, we came together to Cheeky Monkeys but I didn't see him leaving the pub before 11pm" (he was still there before 11pm).

That's my understanding.

They must have arrived about 10pm, perhaps.

“Those on the ground have been handing out pictures of Theo's phone - a purple Oppo device - a NSW Police spokesman said.

Now search dogs and a local abseiling team will join in looking for Theo when rescue efforts resume tomorrow.

The abseiling team will focus on the cliffs around the Cape Byron Lighthouse where the last 'ping' from Theo's phone was recorded on June 1.
Divers and drones may also join in tomorrow's search.”

Search for missing backpacker to intensify

There is a show called The Latest News on at the moment. They are discussing Theo's dad begging WhatsApp to release the messages.

One of the commentators - a technical whiz - says that the only way anyone can get those messages is to have either Theo's device or the device that the message was sent to. The encryption on the messages means that no-one in between (including WhatsApp) can break the encryption. It is designed to not be broken or interpreted.

It sounds as if they still don't know who the last WhatsApp message was sent to. That the recipient of the message(s?) hasn't come forward.
I think if it is anyone in Australia or Belgium they must have heard that Theo is missing, and have heard about the WhatsApp debacle.

Considering the text message back home was sent at 12.20am ... so if he was running from someone at 11.30pm did this “person” catch him, pick him up and then send that text too?

Edited as was meant to quote a previous poster

Would love to know what that 12:20am message said, and the approx location it was sent from.

I guess we don't know how Theo was running. Just that he was running, and a resident wished he had helped him.

Unless someone can find some reference that Theo was calm after the running? Because I do not believe that we have seen any CCTV after the running, and showing whether Theo appeared calm or appeared frantic.

Oh, Ok. I must be confused. I thought the last images of Theo were outside a hostel near Shirly st. I'm reading a lot of info and studying also, but I thought that there was an image that places him on Shirly st, that the police weren't using at this point in time. The witness that said they saw him running was returning from the servo up Ewingsdale rd. So was he running on Ewingsdale Rd or Shirley St. I imagine there has to be footage or else how could they place him at Shirley St. The phone ping?..

"On CCTV footage from an accommodation house on Shirley Street, at 11.17pm Theo was seen looking at his phone, before turning right toward his hostel."........
'People always turn up in Byron': Backpacker Theo Hayez still missing

Would love to know what that 12:20am message said, and the approx location it was sent from.

I asked the same thing and the responses is a few pages back. Was to a friend in Belgium talking about coming home.

The focus the police are putting on finding the phone is facinating. I believe they think he met up whoever he was messaging and that *if* he was taken it was by someone known to him.

We know from the Jill Meagher case the police can track phones quite easily - they are constantly pinging and would be able to tell if the phone was walked or was driven to the lighthouse area based on timings between towers.

Oh, Ok. I must be confused. I thought the last images of Theo were outside a hostel near Shirly st. I'm reading a lot of info and studying also, but I thought that there was an image that places him on Shirly st, that the police weren't using at this point in time. The witness that said they saw him running was returning from the servo up Ewingsdale rd. So was he running on Ewingsdale Rd or Shirley St. I imagine there has to be footage or else how could they place him at Shirley St. The phone ping?..

"On CCTV footage from an accommodation house on Shirley Street, at 11.17pm Theo was seen looking at his phone, before turning right toward his hostel."........
'People always turn up in Byron': Backpacker Theo Hayez still missing

The family confirm the footage across from Aloha apartments is him and the footage of him running is along Shirly street (not reported but it is recognisable)

I havent been able to find that on MSM. To see a credible link. I think some things may come from SM. And I am never sure of their accuracy.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...mps-up-around-cape-byron-20190618-p51yrh.html

Search for missing backpacker Theo Hayez ramps up around Cape Byron

Apparently talking about bands coming to Australia - sent via Facebook messenger (not whatsapp)

The other thought with the running - could he have walked the 15ish mins from cheeky monkey to aloha area and then received a message saying “where are you, I thought we were meeting up in town” and that’s why he was running? Running back into town? I figure the person who saw him running could say which direction he was heading and as I previously posted it would be captured on CCTV but that along with running because it’s cold and quicker are the two plausible options I feel.

Considering the text message back home was sent at 12.20am ... so if he was running from someone at 11.30pm did this “person” catch him, pick him up and then send that text too?

Edited as was meant to quote a previous poster

The timing of the (last?) facebook message is interesting. He left the bar at about 11pm. The hostel is 29mins walk from the bar according to Google (2.3km). He used facebook to message a friend in Belgium after midnight (according to this article).

Google also recommends that you turn down Dryden St. when walking to Wake Up! hostel.

Thanks. That clears that up for me. :)

Seems a very specific topic - not a message someone would think up in a panic to send a family member as a red herring.

To me it seems he was okay at 12.20am. So what happened between 11.30pm-12.20am that he didn’t make it the 10-15min walk back to Wake Up hostel but was still actively on his phone ....

The timing of the (last?) Whatsapp message is interesting. He left the bar at about 11pm. The hostel is 29mins walk from the bar according to Google (2.3km). He used Whatsapp to message a friend in Belgium after midnight (according to this article).

Google also recommends that you turn down Dryden St. when walking to Wake Up! hostel.

It’s reported the message at 12.20am was sent via Facebook messenger not whatsapp.
So police either know his Whatsapp was used AFTER 12.20am or was being consistently used around the time he was walking home

I asked the same thing and the responses is a few pages back. Was to a friend in Belgium talking about coming home.

The focus the police are putting on finding the phone is facinating. I believe they think he met up whoever he was messaging and that *if* he was taken it was by someone known to him.

We know from the Jill Meagher case the police can track phones quite easily - they are constantly pinging and would be able to tell if the phone was walked or was driven to the lighthouse area based on timings between towers.

I had the same thought. I actually considered that perhaps someone from Sydney knew where he was going and that perhaps he got involved in something down there.

Seems a very specific topic - not a message someone would think up in a panic to send a family member as a red herring.

To me it seems he was okay at 12.20am. So what happened between 11.30pm-12.20am that he didn’t make it the 10-15min walk back to Wake Up hostel but was still actively on his phone ....

That's what I find interesting. If he was heading straight back to the hostel after being kicked out of the bar, he should have been back well before the facebook message at 12.20am. What time was the footage at the Aloha villas? Do we know that?

That's what I find interesting. If he was heading straight back to the hostel after being kicked out of the bar, he should have been back well before the facebook message at 12.20am. What time was the footage at the Aloha villas? Do we know that?

He was having a casual conversation with a friend about bands at 12.2oam. So he probably wasn't worried about someone following him, or running at the time.

He was last heard from when he messaged a friend in Belgium just after midnight on "Friday, May 31. He was last seen on CCTV about 15 minutes' walk from his Byron hostel, close to midnight." - that's all I could find.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...theo-hayez-still-missing-20190614-p51xts.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts