CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be irrelevant (and it NOT intended to victim blame), but I just wonder why the French's took their unmedicated son to Costco and if he showed signs of being agitated prior to the incident. Was Costco something he enjoyed, and they thought would make him happy, despite the crowds? Or maybe they needed groceries and neither parent could handle him on their own while the other shopped?
Supposedly he had no history of aggression. Looks like they were taking him places (there are photos of them together in various places). What would be the alternative? Have him sit at home all day?

Last edited:
Supposedly he had no history of aggression. Looks like they were taking him places (there are photos of them together). What would be the alternative? Have him sit at home all day?

Definitely not. But he was off his meds. That was offered as a possible explanation for his violent behavior by the family. So I'm wondering what the meds were for, and if he'd gone off them before, and if perhaps he actually was aggressive before. Perhaps it was a new development and the parents were struggling with him and needed help. Anyway, this is likely irrelevant. Just that this is a sad story all around.

ETA - it's also possible that it wasn't intentional violence, but uncoordinated movement as a result of being off the meds. He may have jerked or stumbled, and being a large guy, knocked over the shooter.

I have nothing but sympathy for this family and the shooter needs to not carry any time soon (never again, IMO) because I think he may have problems of his own and needs treatment before being trusted with a firearm.

Last edited:
Not sure what his exact condition was. I am not sure the relatives (other than his parents) even know. Maybe parents didn't like to talk about it. But it sounds like condition started to deteriorate recently, so it would likely be a new development. Also sounds like the meds were causing side effects and that's why he went off them.

Attorney: Man Fatally Shot by Off-Duty LAPD Officer at Corona Costco Was Mentally Ill, Off His Medication

I’m just going to sum up the article here: A family “source” says they do not really know for sure the victims medical diagnosis but “think” it’s schizophrenia. :rolleyes: Then we get a detailed synopsis about the illness. Oh, they also do not know if he was truly off his medication, when/if it was stopped, what it was for, when it was started, if it was intended to be used short term or long.

And the media runs with presumption of guilt on the victim. Not one fact was given. Just a bunch of speculation. God forbid anyone have an illness. Shame on them. One side has spoken, I’m waiting to see if we will ever know the version from the family, the eyewitnesses and the cameras.

Attorney: Man Fatally Shot by Off-Duty LAPD Officer at Corona Costco Was Mentally Ill, Off His Medication

I’m just going to sum up the article here: A family “source” says they do not really know for sure the victims medical diagnosis but “think” it’s schizophrenia. :rolleyes: Then we get a detailed synopsis about the illness. Oh, they also do not know if he was truly off his medication, when/if it was stopped, what it was for, when it was started, if it was intended to be used short term or long.

And the media runs with presumption of guilt on the victim. Not one fact was given. Just a bunch of speculation. God forbid anyone have an illness. Shame on them. One side has spoken, I’m waiting to see if we will ever know the version from the family, the eyewitnesses and the cameras.

There will probably have to be yet another police involved shooting "#ReleaseTheVideo" campaign for the public to ever see the truth. Not that it will matter. I think all we have to do is look at history and evidence to see that policemen are a special class of citizens and as such will be protected IMO.

This case is too public. The details will have to be released. I think the lawyer for the French family has been pretty forthcoming. I was surprised by his admission that Mr. French had issues. I feel really bad for his parents. I can see them stepping in between their son and the cop.

I am shocked that LE is being painted with such a wide brush! Very few people, that carry guns for a living, ever fires shot.

LE does amazing and heroic things everyday. And we never hear about it. They don't get paid enough to deal with the crap they have to deal with.

This case has my interest from the get go. I'm not sure what to think right now. But what has me puzzled is why the officer felt the need to fire 6 shots. I'm curious to what witnesses saw happen. The news articles I've been reading really don't say much about witnesses. Someone had to see what actually happened, after all this is Costco and there is usually a lot of people around the sampling stations from my understanding is where the incident took place.

ETA: I feel so sad for the parents and I pray they will recover from their wounds.

This case is too public. The details will have to be released. I think the lawyer for the French family has been pretty forthcoming. I was surprised by his admission that Mr. French had issues. I feel really bad for his parents. I can see them stepping in between their son and the cop.
Yes he has been, but none of the generalized medical information is appropriate. IMO

I can wait to “justify” the killing of an alleged “schizophrenic” man and critically wounding his parents until it’s clearly evident it was justifiable.

I can also wait to call for him to be prosecuted if that is justified.

BUT : 6-7 shots? Really?

Lots of emotion on this case. Either a mentally disabled man was murdered in cold blood by a crazed, trigger happy cop, or an innocent man was protecting his family from a deranged lunatic off his meds. The answer is likely somewhere in between those two poles and the video is very likely going to tell us. Be patient.

Schizophrenia, in spite of the popular notion, is rarely associated with violence against others, in fact schizophrenics are more than 10X more likely to be victims of violence than they are perpetrators. However, Schizophrenic behaviors might appear very menacing to a person holding his 1 yr old. The context of an event can matter a lot.

There is more than enough room for this to be a tragic mistake or a tragic injustice.

The video will tell the tale

What frightens me is how much potential there is for "tragic misinterpretation of innocuous situation" here.

I mean, what if the precipitating "argument" was actually a disagreement (verbal or otherwise) between French and his parents? What if he was "acting up" in the manner of, say, a typical eight-year-old? Running away from them when they said calm down/time to go/no treats today/whatever. And he inadvertently ran into the cop in line? Or flailed his arms in frustration (or even in play) and inadvertently hit the cop? As has been mentioned, if the cop was struck heavily from behind, he probably wouldn't have any context for the innocuous scene and might go straight to threat/protect mode as has been mentioned.

I could also envision the cop reacting verbally to French: "WTF, dude, what was that for?" or "hey, come back here/answer me/stop right there" etc and then becoming angry when French didn't respond back or comply.

I agree that the video and/or more witness statements are needed before a full contextual picture emerges.

I am shocked that LE is being painted with such a wide brush! Very few people, that carry guns for a living, ever fires shot.

LE does amazing and heroic things everyday. And we never hear about it. They don't get paid enough to deal with the crap they have to deal with.

There is also extreme videos of abuse of power and violence against citizens being released Every. Single. Day.

When people see videos like that and see that the police report written on the situation very often is a crock of lies and disproven by video evidence. No wonder people fear them

Costco Shooting Leaves Family of Man Killed by Off-Duty Officer Demanding Answers

Dianne Bawit, a 21-year-old student at California State University San Marcos, said she had been shopping for bottled water when she saw a man, who she later learned was the police officer, falling to the ground. She said he had appeared to be in distress.

“He fell pretty hard because I heard a pretty big thump on the ground,” Ms. Bawit said. “He looked like he had a heart attack.”

Ms. Bawit said she initially went to help the officer, but retreated as the altercation escalated.

“He stood up by himself. He pulled out his handgun and starts triggering five to seven shots,” Ms. Bawit said, adding that she was within 10 feet of the men and then took cover. “I was hiding in between the meat aisle, behind the freezer section. I thought I was going to be dead, too.”

Costco Shooting Leaves Family of Man Killed by Off-Duty Officer Demanding Answers

Dianne Bawit, a 21-year-old student at California State University San Marcos, said she had been shopping for bottled water when she saw a man, who she later learned was the police officer, falling to the ground. She said he had appeared to be in distress.

“He fell pretty hard because I heard a pretty big thump on the ground,” Ms. Bawit said. “He looked like he had a heart attack.”

Ms. Bawit said she initially went to help the officer, but retreated as the altercation escalated.

“He stood up by himself. He pulled out his handgun and starts triggering five to seven shots,” Ms. Bawit said, adding that she was within 10 feet of the men and then took cover. “I was hiding in between the meat aisle, behind the freezer section. I thought I was going to be dead, too.”

So a witness says he STOOD UP and started shooting 6-7 shots.

That does not match the "narrative" that the lawyer has put out.

This case has my interest from the get go. I'm not sure what to think right now. But what has me puzzled is why the officer felt the need to fire 6 shots. I'm curious to what witnesses saw happen. The news articles I've been reading really don't say much about witnesses. Someone had to see what actually happened, after all this is Costco and there is usually a lot of people around the sampling stations from my understanding is where the incident took place.

ETA: I feel so sad for the parents and I pray they will recover from their wounds.
I agree, I was troubled by the 6 or more shots. All I could think is that I seem to remember hearing somewhere that officers are trained to shoot all of their bullets if they start shooting (?). I don’t have any better information about that, so hopefully someone who does know can weigh in (?)

Not true. I see many posts here and on social media praising LE. We read here daily the great things they do. You are painting a pretty broad brush saying we don’t hear about it? JMO I respect them very much. Have always told my girls to respect LE. They are the good guys.

They SHOULD always be the good guys.

But in any line of any type work, heck, in humans, you have certain folks that are not so good. It’s just life.

If I was in this Costco while this happened, witnessed all this, oh my goodness. Terrifying to say the least for anyone to witness this.

“Civil rights attorney Dale K. Galipo is representing the French family. He said it was unclear why Kenneth French pushed the officer in the food sample line.

Before the officer fired his gun, there was a gap in time when he declared he was a police officer and French’s father stepped between the two men. Galipo said the security video showed that interaction.

“His father was trying to intervene.”

French is normally calm, but he had had a recent change in medication that might have affected his behavior, Galipo said. The attorney said French was “nonverbal.”

Galipo said the officer’s life was not threatened and, instead, he acted out of anger because someone had pushed him.

“The shooting was excessive and completely unjustified,” Galipo said, noting that French was unarmed”

In my opinion, what is BBM is the true story.
Costco shooting: Wildly different stories emerge of deadly encounter in food line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans