CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t they claim that the shooter was knocked out? I don’t know how anyone just coming to could assess the situation well enough to see that they were in danger of imminent death or grave bodily harm, especially if no one else was armed with a weapon.

Witnesses say the cop fell down (never say he was pushed, only that he fell down) then got up and unloaded 6-7 shots into French and his elderly parents.

The Cops lawyers released a narrative that is contradicted by Witness statements.

The video footage will be key

I don't think he was purposefully shooting the parents. I have a feeling they got in the way trying to protect their son.
Just to be clear, I have LE family members. I'm not disparaging them as a profession... but 2 shots would have put this guy on the ground for good. I'm still waiting to see video. I doubt the parents were any real threat to him. He is a trained professional. If I see video that changes my mind... then I will definitely accept that. JMO

They don't seem to be in a position to contest anything, considering they are in critical condition and mother is in such bad shape she might not survive.
They are apparently not claiming that the deceased never shoved the officer:

"Both sides agree the man who was fatally shot, Kenneth French, pushed the officer. Family members say French had an intellectual disability."

"Both sides agree the man who was fatally shot, Kenneth French, pushed the officer. Family members say French had an intellectual disability."

In short, the officer fell because he was shoved by the deceased. The fact should be readily admitted- not spun away by creativity.

How can both sides agree when one whole side is in the hospital fighting for their lives.
How can that be claimed?
Unless the french family lawyer seen security tapes

In short, the officer fell because he was shoved by the deceased. The fact should be readily admitted.
Again, I don't think parents are in a position to claim anything. They are in critical condition and mother is unconscious.

I think we are reading to much into t

no need to be snarky

Snarky? I didnt intend to be and sorry if you took it that way.

I was adding the part that was left out. The full story matters. facts matter.

I disagree that trying to get the story straight rather than accept the cop's lawyers narrative as the total truth is "reading too much into it".

A family is fighting for their lives with their son dead.

Just to be clear, I have LE family members. I'm not disparaging them as a profession... but 2 shots would have put this guy on the ground for good. I'm still waiting to see video. I doubt the parents were any real threat to him. He is a trained professional. If I see video that changes my mind... then I will definitely accept that. JMO
So father apparently stepped between his son and the cop trying to explain to the cop that son had a mental disability. Not sure why the cop would feel the need to even shoot just the son at that point, if son wasn't trying to attack him.

"Before the officer fired, there was a gap in time when the officer declared he was a police officer and French’s father stepped between them. Galipo said the security video shows this interaction."
Costco shooting: Man pushed LAPD officer, but deadly force was excessive, attorney says

We just don't have enough information to make any type of determination. Just "narratives" presented by attorneys, or interpretations by main stream media.

Waiting for the video...the longer the wait, the more I believe that it will be supressed for some reason.

We just don't have enough information to make any type of determination. Just "narratives" presented by attorneys, or interpretations by main stream media.

Waiting for the video...the longer the wait, the more I believe that it will be supressed for some reason.
I disagree, I think we already have plenty of information.

(Respectfully snipped by me...)
While I am firmly against abuse of power, corruption, cover ups, police brutality, etc., to actually be an officer is dangerous and has to be very scary and vulnerable at times. That was a good find. If the knowledge that a fellow officer had just been shot in the head as he stood there off-duty trying to get food, being hit in the back of the head as he's doing the same thing, and with his wife and small infant in tow, could have indeed triggered panic.

Here’s the link to the previous incident I cited, in which a different off duty LA area officer was shot Monday, June 10th in the back of the head (while waiting in line for food at Jack in the Box), and died two days later. Could’ve contributed to this situation, via hyper vigilance, etc. Very tragic for everyone involved...
Off-Duty Deputy In Critical Condition After Being Shot Inside Alhambra Jack In The Box

They are not trained to shoot all of their bullets (that would be totally bizarre). They are trained to shoot to stop the threat. In this case I don't know what the threat would be, especially from the parents. He might argue self-defense against Mr. French, but I fail to see how he could argue self-defense against Mr. French's parents.
Actually, the idea that police officers are trained to fire multiple bullets is not bizarre at all. I previously posted hoping someone from law enforcement could clarify this for us, but I was able to find the following from an FBI agent (Huber) in an article I’ll link below:

“Why do police shoot so many times?

Huber said in cases when lethal use of force is justified, inflicting a single, non-fatal wound is not enough to remove the threat that person represents to the officer or others.

To illustrate his point, Huber discussed the physiology of why one single shot from police is not enough when use of lethal force is legally justified...If a person does not lose enough blood, he or she is "still able to fight," he said. That's why officers are trained to fire multiple times when they are justified in doing so.”

I’m NOT arguing that this shooting was justified. We don’t have the evidence yet, and I’m hopeful we’ll all have all the evidence soon. I’ll withhold judgment till then, and offer my prayers to all involved in the meantime.

Again, police are shoot to stop a threat, not to shoot until they run out of bullets. Yes, it would be bizarre and dangerous to train police to shoot until they run out of bullets.
That means they would be trained to shoot even when there is no longer a threat, thus making shooting un-necessary.

Again, police are shoot to stop a threat, not to shoot until they run out of bullets. Yes, it would be bizarre and dangerous to train police to shoot until they run out of bullets.
That means they would be trained to shoot even when there is no longer a threat, thus making shooting un-necessary.

The laquan mcdonald trial showed that unloading a gun (in that case 16 shots) is not procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge