Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned on this thread a lot earlier, and I kinda waved it off, but they were right. He walks in the opposite direction of his destination when he is leaving cheeky monkeys. No record of a taxi, no one admits to picking him up or seeing him get picked up.

Whilst he may have turned the wrong way out of Cheeky Monkeys he most definetly did head directly back towards the hostel - the footage outside the servo/police station is 15mins after leaving the pub - exactly how long it would take to walk directly there.

He may have walked 50m up the road, realised it was the wrong way and turned back, but there isn’t enough time on the timeline for him to have done anything else

I think I found it before, but a confirmation would be good.

I think it is on the footpath across the road from Mango Tree (holiday rentals), across the road from 63 Shirley St.

Google Maps
(Not quite the same angle as the news report, but I cant get onto the footpath to get their angle.)

I thought might be here which is pretty much where you have advised. May be old google maps in original video with the witness it shows a white letterbox on the fence and more trees out front but other things are similar
upload_2019-6-20_13-52-56.png

upload_2019-6-20_13-53-18.png

Whilst he may have turned the wrong way out of Cheeky Monkeys he most definetly did head directly back towards the hostel - the footage outside the servo/police station is 15mins after leaving the pub - exactly how long it would take to walk directly there.

He may have walked 50m up the road, realised it was the wrong way and turned back, but there isn’t enough time on the timeline for him to have done anything else
There would be footage of him passing CM's again, in that case. There would also be footage of him walking through the main strip.

There would be footage of him passing CM's again, in that case. There would also be footage of him walking through the main strip.

Not necessarily. He could have taken a left out of CM started walking, turned google maps on and taken a left down Kingsley / Ruskin and then another left into Tennyson. Would explain why they are asking for that footage.

What’s your thought on how he left CM at 11pm and came to being seen on CCTV at 11.14pm in a place approx 15 min walking distance? Car? Just drove him the 800m though? Doubtful.

Police divers are searching down at Tallow Beach now. They're also asking for any footage of Jonson or Tennyson St.

Tennyson Street may mean that he didn't head directly back toward the hostel after leaving the bar.

Police divers to join search for Théo Hayez – Echonetdaily

Or it could mean that they are asking for this footage because they are interested in someone(s) else who parked on Tennyson street that night. Perhaps parking is tough to get around the Cheeky Monkey's area on a busy Friday night, and people are forced to park a little further away.

I am hoping that after all this time that the police have some definite leads.

With Theo being seen 15 minutes away from Cheeky Monkey's, when Google says he should have been 15 minutes away by walking a more direct route, the interest in Tennyson Street may not strictly be tracing Theo's movements. imo

- Theo went to a liquor store early in the evening (7:40ish) on Fri 31st May, bought a bottle of wine, with a friend.
- Then he went to a barbeque.
- Then he went to a bar, was ejected after an hour, at 11pm.
- Then he was seen walking and running on the route back to his backpackers hostel (between 11pm and 11:30pm).
- No record of him reaching his backpackers hostel, swipe card was not used. Passport and belongings found in his room.
- Then he sent a couple of messages - one on FB (12:20am) and at least one on WhatsApp (1am).
- Then nothing that we know about ever again.

Theo's phone last pinged (in sleep mode) from the general area of the lighthouse - nowhere near his hostel or where he was last seen - at 1:42pm on the afternoon after (1st June) he went missing.

Tide chart for Wategos Beach - closest tides available near the lighthouse - is here .......
Wategos Beach Tide Times, NSW - WillyWeather

Theo was happy to have booked his travel and flights back to Belgium, would be leaving from Melbourne within the next couple of weeks after his disappearance. Had plans to help his dad with a band back in Belgium. Before starting University in a science and maths stream.
thank you for streamlining events concisely.

so in the clear light of day what are we looking at?
the 3 most obvious scenarios are:
1.blackout/disoriented from alcohol ( he fell, ended up in a crevice/ravine?)
2. misadventure (went swimming, bush or scaling cliff because drunk?)
3. foul play. (someone-stranger or acquaintance- along the road offered him a lift or something?)

im no expert but if i were police i would offer a no-punishment reward for the phone - in case someone out walking early june found it and kept it not realizing the significance. and is now too scared/panicked to hand it in . i.e feels guilty re keeping it because they might have an existing criminal record,drug problem,visa problem etc.

godspeed ,chris.

I am a little concerned that Theo's phone may have been discarded somewhere in the lighthouse area, while Theo himself is actually somewhere else entirely.

If foul play is involved here - and it seems to me that there is as much likelihood of that as of anything else, at this stage - to discard Theo's phone in that area and allow it to ping away for hours, all on its own, could be a good way of having people believe that Theo went to a cold, lonely lighthouse location and did himself in.

And yet this lad has been on the holiday of a lifetime, could go home whenever he wanted, caught up with a cousin and was due to catch up with his godfather ... and has such a bright future to return to. As well, considered a sensible lad - even polite and cooperative when he was ejected from Cheeky Monkey's.

I heard at the tail end of a video today that bags and bags of clothing and other items have been found, none of it Theo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow