Found Deceased NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my understanding, there will still be media coverage, but not live blogging/tweeting from the courthouse during the trial while the proceedings around happening. The public can also still attend and reporters can still report, so it's not as if it's a trial held in secret.

jmo

edited for clarity
I am on my way and will report back on every recess. I don’t have a good feeling that court will actually happen today as I don’t believe AT will show up. I hope I am wrong

I guess we can mostly "thank" the blogging juror for this?
I don't know who you are, juror, but I don't like you!!!

The local media said it turned out not to be a juror but a mother of a juror who commented on a tv station blog/online coverage of the trial. (I know several wrote that yesterday but just adding this from article.)

"There was also a report, from a State Supreme Court official, that the mother of one of the jurors had posted a comment about a story on a Lincoln television station’s website about the trial, mentioning that her daughter was a juror."

Last edited:
I am on my way and will report back on every recess. I don’t have a good feeling that court will actually happen today as I don’t believe AT will show up. I hope I am wrong

If I didn't work today, I'd head down there, too. Every time I pass by Wilber, Neligh, or that Menards in Lincoln, I think of poor Sydney, and it just breaks my heart :(

The local media said it turned out not to be a juror but a mother of a juror who commented on a tv station blog/online coverage of the trial.

"There was also a report, from a State Supreme Court official, that the mother of one of the jurors had posted a comment about a story on a Lincoln television station’s website about the trial, mentioning that her daughter was a juror."

I wonder how they initially got that so wrong then. A juror blogging on a dedicated blog is quite different than a mother of a juror posting a reply/comment on a media report.

The local media said it turned out not to be a juror but a mother of a juror who commented on a tv station blog/online coverage of the trial.

I believe that to be correct. Being present while all of this was evolving quite honestly I did not see it being a big issue it was a mother who replied to a TV stations blog. There were close observations of all blogging and comments yesterday by people in the court system. My gut feeling is they are being overly cautious knowing how AT has worked the system and want to be sure they have no reason for a mistrial

Do you think local media will fight this decision? Is this ban 'absolutely necessary?'

How could a juror not know they shouldn’t be blogging? SMH.

I'm from Lincoln and I'm the same age as Sydney. The live updates from court on 1011 and twitter were great but a summary after the fact is great too if they feel any of the instant info is detrimental to the trial.

I remember when there were just the rumors being spread around about Sydney being murdered and her body being dismembered and found in parts (long before it hit the news). It sounded like urban legend stuff or like some cautionary tale your mom would repeat to you before you went on a date. Not that this is a place where "stuff like this doesn't happen" but it seemed far fetched for all of that to be true until it was. It seems like with what info has already come out the actual truth is even worse.

But my point is now this is not urban legend stuff anymore. Like we all grew up with "don't meet strangers online" thrown at us 24/7 at home, at school- at a certain point it's like yeah, we get it & it's white noise caution. I don't date online but my friends do. Now we all have phone locations on & shared and we don't keep much about who is meeting and seeing who private anymore. But it sounds like Sydney told people who she was with, she'd had a successful date once with Boswell and her friend had a photo and a phone number and even with all that, she got lured and killed.

These people are scary. There's clearly a market for what they were doing. There's more people like them out there. I want everyone responsible for what went on to be held responsible with no bs about mistrial this and unfair that. I don't need to know everything as it happens. Imagine the rage Sydney's family must feel waiting two years for justice only for the whole thing to fall apart a bit two days in over social media posts. Or how they will feel in two years when these sick freaks can appeal their cases based on this nonsense.

They didn't say no media coverage they said no live media coverage. Just my opinion.

The only thing the mom said was that the jury wasn't being sequestered. She wouldn't even need to be told that... she could see if her daughter was being sequestered or not. Surely you're allowed to tell your family that you got called for jury duty. What exactly did this juror do wrong? Was she not supposed to tell which case she got called for? In Wilber, NE, that's also not complicated to figure out.

The only thing the mom said was that the jury wasn't being sequestered. She wouldn't even need to be told that... she could see if her daughter was being sequestered or not. Surely you're allowed to tell your family that you got called for jury duty. What exactly did this juror do wrong? Was she not supposed to tell which case she got called for? In Wilber, NE, that's also not complicated to figure out.
People figuring it out is different than a juror member telling someone info.
jmo

Some interesting bits from a government handbook for juries:

"Jurors must not talk about the case with others not on the jury, even their spouses or families, including via electronic communications and social networking on computers, netbooks, tablets, and smart phones."

"If any outsider attempts to talk with a juror about a case in which he or she is sitting, the juror should do the following: (1) Tell the person it is improper for a juror to discuss the case or receive any information except in the courtroom. (2) Refuse to listen if the outsider persists. (3) Report the incident at once to the judge."

"Some cases may arouse much public discussion. In that event, the jury may be kept together until the verdict is reached. This procedure is used to protect the jurors against outside influences."

http://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/jury/jurortrialhandbook.pdf

This is my opinion from all the articles I have read - I think it's being done in an over-abundance of caution.

From this article: https://www.1011now.com/content/news/No-sign-of-Aubrey-Trail-in-court-amidst-long-day-of-delays-511529191.html "According to the order, a newspaper reporter tweeted that Trail was taken from D & E in Lincoln on a 911 emergency. Then a member of the press contacted the defense counsel in a hospital parking lot where Trail was being treated in the emergency room. The order said broadcast of this information constituted a security threat to the defendant, counsel and law enforcement."

I haven't followed other trials close enough, but this absolutely should not be happening. It's evident from comments in here that he is not a well-liked man (for obvious reasons, and he shouldn't be) and I can tell you the sentiments from local's is no different. It absolutely is a safety concern when someone - a newspaper reporter or anyone else, is tweeting that he is was taken to the hospital. In this particular situation, I think this was just plain carelessness on the part of that newspaper reporter as they could have someone camped outside of D & E (which is Diagnostic and Evaluation) watching for him to leave, in which case it wouldn't make a bit of difference if they were allowing live reporting inside he courtroom or not. However, by ordering no live reporting, the judge is going to stop it before it can even become a problem.

As for the poor mom, I do feel for her. I didn't see the comment, but as someone said in a previous comment here, it is no secret that the jury is not sequestered. She probably should have just answered "no" without mentioning that her daughter was on the jury, but as someone else also mentioned, Saline county isn't heavily populated. I'm sure it's no secret who is on the jury, everyone knows someone, who knows someone else. If you aren't familiar with how small farming communities work, there were people at the local restaurant for coffee on Tuesday morning and there were many conversations happening about it - I can almost promise you that! That doesn't mean there won't be a juror who breaks the rules and does start talking/blogging/tweeting or whatever about it, but I think that Judge Johnson will deal with that appropriately. I think the order yesterday was done appropriately, and simply out of an abundance of caution to prevent things from getting out of hand.

That's all my opinion! Have a good day everyone!

Saline County District Judge Vicky Johnson issued an order Wednesday evening, banning media from live tweeting, blogging or providing any other instantaneous information sharing in the Aubrey Trail trial from the courthouse.

People in attendance, including media, will not be allowed to bring phones into the courtroom. News cameras will still be allowed but only for recording purposes. 1011 NOW will still be able to show you video of select witness testimony.

In the order, Judge Johnson said various blog, twitter and other social media comments about the case have the court concerned about security, maintaining the juror's impartiality and the rights of both parties to fair trial. She also said in the order that "various blog, twitter and other social media comments about this case which have been provided to the Court have referred to court personnel in derogatory terms."

On our 10/11 live blog a commenter who identified herself as the mother of a juror made a comment about jury sequestration. Another commenter stated that he had driven by the Saline County Courthouse and didn't see the wheelchair transport van and that the defendant is apparently not there. He later commented that NE Correction officials were transporting the defendant.

According to the order, a newspaper reporter tweeted that Trail was taken from D & E in Lincoln on a 911 emergency. Then a member of the press contacted the defense counsel in a hospital parking lot where Trail was being treated in the emergency room. The order said broadcast of this information constituted a security threat to the defendant, counsel and law enforcement.

"The Court further finds that live tweeting has created an atmosphere which has fomented disrespect to the court system," Judge Johnson said in the court order.

Defense Attorney Joseph Murray said he's not worried about a tainted jury.

Judge bans media from live tweeting and blogging Aubrey Trail trial

People figuring it out is different than a juror member telling someone info.
jmo

I agree, but my point was that we don't know that the juror told her mom anything, as everything the mom said would be common knowledge in that area. I know it doesn't really matter at this point, but there were a bunch of posts about how irresponsible the juror was (some deleted now), which seems unfair. Next, we're going to hear that people found out who the juror was (I'm sure people in that area already know) and are threatening her.

Quick update. Court is in session. AT is present. Stares straight ahead whole time index finger on lip and thumb on chin
Sydney’s mom first witness. Defense trying to show SL as a weed smoking depressed and troubled young lady

I agree, but my point was that we don't know that the juror told her mom anything, as everything the mom said would be common knowledge in that area. I know it doesn't really matter at this point, but there were a bunch of posts about how irresponsible the juror was (some deleted now), which seems unfair. Next, we're going to hear that people found out who the juror was (I'm sure people in that area already know) and are threatening her.
I do find the whole thing irresponsible. I make no apologies in my opinion. I take it seriously, and I deleted two posts of my own because I started feeling like I was doing exactly what I was criticizing others for doing. I had a moment of self-reflection about commenting on a public forum about an ongoing case.

justmyownopinion

Quick update. Court is in session. AT is present. Stares straight ahead whole time index finger on lip and thumb on chin
Sydney’s mom first witness. Defense trying to show SL as a weed smoking depressed and troubled young lady

Knew they were going to go the weed route. You know the opinion or view of weed in some states is very different from where I live (CO). I think that would be laughed off rather fast here. Since it seems as though you live there could you share like current common perception of weed? still old fashion?

What's the "other evidence" of looking for victims months before? Do you have a link? I must have missed that in the documents.
It was in an article around the time theu were releasing a bit of the phone pinging revelations and when they released some of the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member