Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok,long timelurker posting on this - say it's bootleg liquor - it's only affecting one resort but not all guests. Could it possibly be one or a few employees switching the liquor out with their own homemade stash? I've vacationed there a few times, and I wouldn't put it past anyone to do that.

ok,long timelurker posting on this - say it's bootleg liquor - it's only affecting one resort but not all guests. Could it possibly be one or a few employees switching the liquor out with their own homemade stash? I've vacationed there a few times, and I wouldn't put it past anyone to do that.

That's my thought. Tainted bootleg... makes a person deathly ill. Hey I'm in the south we have the Moonshine Capital of the World.

its not happening at only ONE resort tho...

...but thinking about the booze on the in-room bars, swapping good alcohol out for bad could be easily done by hotel workers ( housekeeping, maintenance, etc... )

IMHO FWIW

Last edited:
If the liquor is some weird concoction, wouldn’t people notice?

It seems pretty useless to take only a small amount and replace it with bad. What would be the point? It is not every room. Very very few

I think it might be one particular kind of booze - not every kind. So whoever is drinking that type is getting sick. Perhaps those who are dying drank more of it or had been drinking for more days in a row. I don't know. It's also possible that the type of liquor being tainted is the sort that is normally used in a drink with something sweet that covers an off taste.

I don't think this is one worker just meddling with the stash in rooms here and there. I think it's at a management level - someone at the resorts is buying cheap liquor and passing it off as name brand in order to save money/make money.

jmo

"A Louisana bride who went on her honeymoon to the Dominican Republic mysteriously died less than a week after she returned, according to a report."

It's not revealed what her COD. She looks like a senior citizen (a young one - and a bride!) so perhaps more vulnerable to complications from regular travelers' digestive ailments....but who knows. Would like to know what they drank in their room, of course. That info is not provided.

jmo

https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/bride-dies-after-return-from-dominican-republic-honeymoon/

I think it might be one particular kind of booze - not every kind. So whoever is drinking that type is getting sick. Perhaps those who are dying drank more of it or had been drinking for more days in a row. I don't know. It's also possible that the type of liquor being tainted is the sort that is normally used in a drink with something sweet that covers an off taste.

I don't think this is one worker just meddling with the stash in rooms here and there. I think it's at a management level - someone at the resorts is buying cheap liquor and passing it off as name brand in order to save money/make money.

jmo

It seems rather strange to replace a couple cups of booze at various locations. How much money could that possibly make?

Remember, there are millions that go to Punta Cana and only a few have gotten sick.

It seems rather strange to replace a couple cups of booze at various locations. How much money could that possibly make?

Remember, there are millions that go to Punta Cana and only a few have gotten sick.
How do you know only a few have gotten sick?

The stats I've seen don't include illnesses or even deaths by illness.

But, sure, it could all be nothing. That is a possibility.

jmo

I think a lot of people have gotten sick and "only a few" have died.

another report of sickness:

"The night of the wedding, I stopped off at the room before the reception and had a drink from the minibar," Duff said.

He made it to the wedding but had to return to the room when he fell ill.

"Started feeling a little delirious... it almost felt unreal, like I was in a dream or something," Duff said.

Within a half hour, Duff spiked a fever of 104.5.

At the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana where Duff and Gomez were staying, the mini bar's bottles weren't sealed. They were simply large bottles held over from guest to guest.

"We were drinking out of a bottle that was half empty already, so we don't know who was drinking out of it before. If it might be contaminated," Gomez said.

West Hollywood man who visited Dominican Republic says he fell severely ill

another report of sickness:

"The night of the wedding, I stopped off at the room before the reception and had a drink from the minibar," Duff said.

He made it to the wedding but had to return to the room when he fell ill.

"Started feeling a little delirious... it almost felt unreal, like I was in a dream or something," Duff said.

Within a half hour, Duff spiked a fever of 104.5.

At the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana where Duff and Gomez were staying, the mini bar's bottles weren't sealed. They were simply large bottles held over from guest to guest.

"We were drinking out of a bottle that was half empty already, so we don't know who was drinking out of it before. If it might be contaminated," Gomez said.

West Hollywood man who visited Dominican Republic says he fell severely ill

What would fever be from? Do you get it from tainted booze or is it something else.

Methanol Toxicity:

ataxic,fatigued, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tachypnea, tachycardia, hypertension. These symptoms stem from metabolic acidosis ( diagram below)
In severe cases fatal respiratory or cardiac failure

metabolic_acidosis1341591162736.jpg

The following patient groups are considered to have an increased risk of MP:
  • People living in or traveling to developing countries. Here, methanol is frequently used as a cheap substitute of ethanol. With regards to the local population, people of low socioeconomic status, frequently living in rural areas, are most likely to consume methanol-containing beverages. Travelers are advised not to drink any home-made spirits; they may, however, not be able to recognize which drinks are prepared with such alcohols. In South-East Asia, a tourist presented MP after consuming a drink at a public bar.
  • Alcoholics may choose to consume methanol-containing drinks if they are unable to procure potable alcohol.
  • Children may accidentally ingest household products that contain methanol.
  • Employees of methanol-processing plants or laboratories may be exposed to the alcohol, which is readily absorbed through the skin Additional info CDC reference

Methanol Toxicity:

ataxic,fatigued, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tachypnea, tachycardia, hypertension. These symptoms stem from metabolic acidosis ( diagram below)
In severe cases fatal respiratory or cardiac failure

metabolic_acidosis1341591162736.jpg

The following patient groups are considered to have an increased risk of MP:

• People living in or traveling to developing countries. Here, methanol is frequently used as a cheap substitute of ethanol. With regards to the local population, people of low socioeconomic status, frequently living in rural areas, are most likely to consume methanol-containing beverages. Travelers are advised not to drink any home-made spirits; they may, however, not be able to recognize which drinks are prepared with such alcohols. In South-East Asia, a tourist presented MP after consuming a drink at a public bar.
  • Alcoholics may choose to consume methanol-containing drinks if they are unable to procure potable alcohol.
  • Children may accidentally ingest household products that contain methanol.
  • Employees of methanol-processing plants or laboratories may be exposed to the alcohol, which is readily absorbed through the skin.
Wow - sounds like a match to some of the cases.

jmo

There is so many different scenarios flying around from bootlegging, to infections leading into sepsis (blood infection), possible pesticides....and each personal may react differently to each exposure depending on their comorbidities and medications they take. I started researching and felt like I could write a dissertation on it.

If one gets an infection from bacteria, viral, or parasitic it can lead into Sepsis which initially shows signs of high fever which can then lead into metabolic acidosis and lead into all of the signs and symptoms discussed included multi-organ failure and death. It is all a bit complicated and one needs additional information (labs/imaging/history)to determine route cause etc. and is what we are all waiting on.

* Sorry, I'm trying not to be too much ( pathophys is a passion) but I want to point out that many of the signs and symptoms that have been discussed don't necessarily point to one thing at face value, IMO and MOO.

7b5aabe9d024d3ce85cf275baa513fc9.jpg

TIME_Acronym_Card-1024x513.jpg

There is so many different scenarios flying around from bootlegging, to infections leading into sepsis (blood infection), possible pesticides....and each personal may react differently to each exposure depending on their comorbidities and medications they take. I started researching and felt like I could write a dissertation on it.

If one gets an infection from bacteria, viral, or parasitic it can lead into Sepsis which initially shows signs of high fever which can then lead into metabolic acidosis and lead into all of the signs and symptoms discussed included multi-organ failure and death. It is all a bit complicated and one needs additional information (labs/imaging/history)to determine route cause etc. and is what we are all waiting on.

* Sorry, I'm trying not to be too much ( pathophys is a passion) but I want to point out that many of the signs and symptoms that have been discussed don't necessarily point to one thing at face value, IMO and MOO.

7b5aabe9d024d3ce85cf275baa513fc9.jpg

TIME_Acronym_Card-1024x513.jpg

An infection. Could be from a weird bug bite. Would tainted alcohol give you fever? I don’t think so. Can bacteria live in alcohol?

There is leptospirosis which can kill you in a day. That is from rat pee. Rats pee continuously. If you get antibiotics right away it stops it. But lepto has the symptoms of so many things such as flu.

Kansas man, Pennsylvania woman died suddenly in Dominican Republic, bringing US citizen death total to 11

The families of two U.S. citizens have come forward to Fox News to report that the pair died suddenly while visiting the DR.

They have been identified as Chris Palmer, a 41-year-old Army veteran from Kansas who died April 18, 2018, and Barbara Diane Maser-Mitchell, a 69-year-old retired nurse from Pennsylvania who died on Sept. 17, 2016, after falling critically ill at a resort.

In reports given to Palmer's family, Dominican authorities said that he had pulmonary edema and that the official cause of death was a heart attack. For Maser-Mitchell, authorities have said a heart attack was the official cause of death.

On her second day at the resort, after having cocktails, she said she felt ill and went to her room, which was adjacent to her son's room, according to her son's companion, Terry Mackey.

The next day, Mackey said, Maser-Mitchell continued to feel ill and did not accompany them for breakfast.
She went into a state of cardiac arrest in the ambulance, Mackey said, adding "I was sitting in the ambulance with her, holding her hand the whole time."

He was staying at the Villa Cocotal Palma resort in Punta Cana.

The State Department confirmed their deaths to Fox News on Thursday.
U.S. officials have said that there is no evidence that the deaths are linked.

dr1.jpg

Barbara-Diane-Masern-3-Mitchel.jpg

I am not so sure that all of these people died of the exact same condition. But, of course, the Dominican government official has already stated that these were "All heart attacks". Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy