TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Sugar Land, Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

JUN 10, 2019
Local man paints mural of Maleah Davis' name on fence of apartment where she once lived

view

A sea of pink filled Houston's City Hall this weekend, but one local man decided to paint a mural of 4-year-old Maleah Davis' name on the fence of an apartment where she once lived.
[...]

Obituary for MALEAH LYNN DAVIS at Richardson Mortuary
She touched the lives of many; our shining, beautiful little girl, the light of our lives and the star of our hearts who leaves us smiling through our tears. She was happiness personified.

Born February 6th, 2015, Maleah was the adored daughter of Craig Davis Jr. and Brittany Bowens. She was the middle of three children and dearly loved her brothers, P and K.

With her huge smile, loving spirit and infectious personality, Maleah would instantly capture the hearts of those who knew her. Maleah’s soul was nurturing and opened the door for making new friends easily. Her love for music was undeniable. Maleah would often sing catchy lyrics of songs like Baby Shark while twirling around in her pink tutu. Singing brought Maleah joy and she was known to be in her happy place moving to music.

[...]

A private funeral service will be held on June 22, 2019.

g10001.gif

JUN 12, 2019
Teddy bears and toys being collected for Maleah Davis' funeral service
Maleah Davis will be remembered during a private funeral service later this month.

Although the public is not invited, the community can send flowers and private condolence messages through the Richardson Mortuary's website.

A sign is displayed at the apartment complex where the 4-year-old lived with her family telling people that teddy bears and toys will be displayed at Maleah's service on June 22. There's also a painted mural honoring Maleah on the apartment's fence.

The sign goes on to say the toys and stuffed animals will then be given to the Houston Fire Department.

[...]

JUN 12, 2019
Inmate says he gave Houston police tip about Maleah's whereabouts before Quanell
A Harris County Jail inmate says he supplied Houston police investigators with the Arkansas location where Derion Vence had allegedly dumped the trash bag containing little Maleah Davis’ remains five days before she was found.

The inmate, DC, who is being held while awaiting transfer to a Texas prison, told the Houston Chronicle he met with investigators on May 26 to share information he gleaned from Vence that narrowed the search for the 4-year-old’s body to a rural highway near Hope. But authorities didn’t start their search in the neighboring state until May 31 when Houston activist Quanell X told authorities that Vence had given him the same location.

[...]

“It’s my understanding from my involvement with this case that DC met with homicide detectives on the 26th of May and again on the 30th of May,” Cotlar said. “It appears that law enforcement already had the location of the body — before Quanell went in there — and didn’t act on it.”

[...]

Vence wandered over to DC’s door as early as May 22 to score some extra chow, the inmate said Tuesday. DC handed him crackers and soup — and eventually, Vence shared his side of what happened to the little girl whose disappearance captivated the city and nation and drew hundreds of pink-wearing mourners to City Hall to pay their respects.

“He says, ‘Man, I didn’t kill her,’” said DC, who was sentenced Monday to 25 years in prison for aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. Vence initially told him that Maleah “died in her sleep, that she had the flu.”

[...]

In the days that followed the first meeting, DC persuaded Vence to tell him where he allegedly stashed the garbage bag containing Maleah’s remains.

“He wrote, ‘Arkansas, feeder road, black trash bag, Hope exit,’” DC said.

That Sunday, May 26, DC said he twice met with investigators. The first time was to flag their attention to Arkansas and the second meeting was to pinpoint where the remains could be found. He met with investigators again on May 30 and was asked to don a wire and talk to Vence in the morning. He agreed but never heard back from the authorities.

[...]

DC said he believes his tip preluded whatever information Quanell X supplied to authorities after meeting with Vence the morning of May 31.

[...]

DC said coming forward was the right thing for him to do and that he wanted no part of any reward.

“I’m a criminal and I’ve done some things, but that’s a 4-year-old baby,” DC said.

[...]

(Name changed to initials by me)

JUN 12, 2019
Teddy bears and toys are being collected and will be displayed at Maleah's service on June 22 and given to the Houston Fire Department

JUN 13, 2019
MALEAH DAVIS: Quannel X and Texas EquuSearch chief to be honored
The Smart Scholars Foundation will host a rally honoring Quannel X and Tim Miller for their help in finding 4-year-old Maleah Davis.

The Defend Our Children Rally will be held at the Kingwood Landing Apartments on Sunday, June 16 at 6 p.m.

[...]

The rally will not only honor Quanell X and Miller, but will also send out a special prayer for children facing brutality in today's society.

JUN 13, 2019
Inmate says he told police where Maleah's body was, days before Quanell X
The attorney of Derion Vence has confirmed to ABC13 that an inmate at the Harris County Jail met with Houston Police detectives on May 26 and May 30 on the possible location of Maleah Davis' remains.

Dorian Cotlar, Vence's appointed attorney, confirms that to the best of his knowledge an inmate by the name of DC told investigators that Vence gave him the location of Maleah's body in Arkansas several days before Quanell X met with Vence.

Chalfant's involvement has not been officially confirmed by Houston Police. HPD's official statement is that the investigation is ongoing and they cannot comment.

[...]

JUN 13, 2019
Inmate says he knew where Maleah Davis' body was before Quanell X
[...]

Tim Miller, who lead Texas Equusearch to the discovery of Maleah’s body in Arkansas, said he doubts that HPD sat on an alleged tip about the 4-year-old’s whereabouts for several days and did nothing.

“I talked to Sgt. Holbrook every day. If Sgt. Holbrook had known a couple days prior, he would’ve said hold on we’re kinda looking at something there," he said. “Number one, Derion doesn’t have any credibility. We knew that from the minute this happened by what he tried to convince us with his abduction story. We don’t know who this other inmate is, but a lot of times, these inmates, they just don’t have a lot of credibility neither."

[...]

The two were apparently just a few jails cells apart. Vence allegedly told Chalfant where he dumped Maleah’s body days before he confessed to Quanell.

“We could’ve taken 50 people and searched where he said and Maleah wouldn’t have been there. Would we have went up to the next exit? I probably doubt that we would have cause he specifically said, ‘this is where I dropped her off,’” Miller said.

[...]

“It wasn’t at the place that Derion said, so if we had flown up there without a mower going over it, and it wouldn’t have been at the exit that he said, then we would’ve thought well this is another Derion story,” Miller said.

[...]

Houston police would not comment as a spokesperson said this is an ongoing investigation.

JUN 15, 2019
Inmate says he told police where Maleah's body was, days before Quanell X
[...]

Chalfant claims he gave detectives a note that he exchanged with Vence, in which Vence wrote a location of the body, then drew a sign with arrows pointing to the word "Hope".

He goes on to say that Vence also told him exactly how Maleah died.

He says he sent another letter to homicide investigators on Thursday in which he wrote that Vence told him Maleah died when he tossed her off his lap, and she hit her head on the floor.

He said police have yet to contact him regarding that information.

Chalfant said he then asked Vence why he hid the body and dumped it. Vence responded, "(I) panicked because of the time she had fractured her skull before."

[...]

Dorian Cotlar, Vence's appointed attorney, confirms that to the best of his knowledge, Chalfant told investigators that Vence gave him the location of Maleah's body in Arkansas several days before Quanell X met with Vence.

[...]

Chalfant had recently been sentenced in an aggravated assault case. Court records show he has been in and out of prison for decades. Chalfant allegedly met with investigators and told them that Vence told him the remains of Maleah were deposited near Hope, Arkansas.

[...]

It's unclear why HPD investigators did not travel to Arkansas on or after their first meeting with Chalfant on May 26.

It would also be impossible to know if Maleah's remains were found days earlier and how that would have affected this ongoing investigation.

JUN 16, 2019
Family, friends gather on Father's Day to keep Maleah Davis' memory alive
Heavy rain didn't stop the community from gathering to honor and remember the life of Maleah Davis.

Friends and family gathered at the southwest Houston apartment complex where Maleah lived. Organizers wanted to use Father's Day as a way to keep Maleah's memory alive.

[...]

The group said they want to push for change and make sure she's not forgotten.

"As y'all can see, we came out here on Father's Day. We just want to shed a little bit of light onto her situation, even though we are out here in the storm and the rain. We are going to represent her in any form or fashion," one man said as he stood in the rain outside the apartment.

[...]

JUN 16, 2019
Child care group honors community activists for helping find Maleah Davis
[...]

The group Smart Scholars Foundation awarded Texas Equusearch founder Tim Miller and community activist Quanell X for helping find Maleah's body. Quanell obtained the location of the body after speaking with Maleah's stepfather Derion Vence in prison.

[...]

Quanell's daughters were there to accept the award for their father.

Miller also responded to reports that authorities could have found Maleah's body days earlier after Vence reportedly confessed to a fellow inmate several days before speaking to Quanell.

"I don't know if anybody dropped the ball," Miller said. "Bottom line is it happened the way it was supposed to happen."

Miller says the focus now should be on making sure prosecutors have what they need to successfully bring Vence to trial for his role in Maleah's death and ensuring no other child meets the same fate Maleah did.

[...]

Justice for Maleah Davis: Activists honored for playing central role in finding missing girl

JUN 17, 2019
Fathers around the community share their sympathy with father of Maleah Davis
[...]

FJ, with Smart Scholars foundation, told people at the gathering that the girl's death is a call for action.

"The first thing is to teach children to call 911 if someone is hurting them," said FJ. "This child had bruises and injuries. She went to a daycare. Why did no one call then?"

Tim Miller, with Texas Equusearch, was also honored at the event, for his role in this case.

"Her remains were right next to us on the plane," he said. "When we landed, I said, 'You're home, honey.'"

A private funeral service is scheduled for next week.

(Name changed to initials by me)

JUN 17, 2019
Inmate says Maleah Davis died when she hit her head, Derion Vence told him
[...]

In the exclusive interview, Chalfant said Vence initially told him, "She died from the flu in her sleep. I told him, 'Nobody's going to believe that. There are pictures of her walking behind you. She wasn't sick.'"

"I asked him, 'Why did you hide the body?' and he said he panicked because of the time she had fractured her skull before," Chalfant explained.

On Saturday, Chalfant said not only was he aware of the location of the remains, but that Vence told him exactly how she died.

"He said she was sitting on his lap and he tossed her off and she hit her head," Chalfant said.

[...]

Social activist Quanell X was credited with getting the confession from Vence which ultimately revealed the location of Maleah's body.

Chalfant said he is the one who initially gave the location along with a handwritten note he gave to detectives, based on information from Vence shared with him.

[...]

Visibly emotional, he said, "Do you mean they may not have a cause of death? Does that mean he won't be charged with murder?"

Chalfant believes Quanell X was brought in to prevent him from qualifying for the reward money offered for finding the little girl.

He said he intended to keep a small portion of the reward, and return the rest to the people who pledged cash to bring her home.

[...]

JUN 19, 2019
'My Little Pony' casket donated for Maleah Davis' funeral
Adorn with rainbows and 'My Little Pony,' Maleah Davis' casket is as bold and colorful as her family remembers her.

[...]

The casket was built and donated by SoulShine Industries to the Davis family.

Richardson Mortuary has been collecting flowers, teddy bears and private messages of condolence ahead of the service.

[...]

Maleah Davis' casket photos shared by her father
[...]

Craig Davis posted two photos of the My Little Pony-themed casket on his Instagram account Wednesday with 14 heart emojis as the caption.

In the photos, the top of the casket shows a photo of Maleah riding a blue pony with clouds and a rainbow in the background. Her name is displayed in pink.

The side of the casket features more ponies and rainbows, with her full name Maleah Lynn Davis on the bottom.

[...]

JUN 19, 2019
Maleah Davis' casket is colored with rainbows, "My Little Pony," and lots of pink - CNN
190619220541-maleah-davis-exlarge-169.jpeg

Maleah Davis -- the 4-year-old found dead after she went missing in early May -- will be buried in a colorful, one-of-a-kind casket, a tribute to her memory and her grieving family.

The casket was built and donated by SoulShine Industries to the Davis family.
"The casket is the most important part of remembering somebody, so it should be special," said company owner Trey Ganem told CNN.

[...]

The casket designer Courtney Sublett told CNN she worked closely with the family and the theme quickly became apparent. The final product was a white casket covered with rainbows, the color pink, "My Little Pony," and even a portrait of Maleah.

"It's such a tragic thing, I'm glad we could bring a little light to her story," Sublett said.

[...]

Toys and teddy bears are also being collected at the apartment complex where the Davis family lived. A sign says that the items will be displayed at the funeral and then donated to the Houston Fire Department.

[...]

JUN 20, 2019
Maleah Davis funeral: "My Little Pony" decorated casket donated for 4-year-old Maleah Davis' funeral - CBS News
Over a month after 4-year-old Maleah Davis was reported missing, her loved ones are doing the unthinkable -- putting her body to rest. The Texas girl's private funeral service will be held this Saturday and while the alleged horrific crime may have drawn the most attention, her lovingly decorated casket reminds the world who is at the heart of this tragic story: A little girl.

"She touched the lives of many; our shining, beautiful little girl, the light of our lives and the star of our hearts who leaves us smiling through our tears," reads her obituary on Richardson Mortuary's website. "She was happiness personified."

The obituary listed her favorite color as pink and said, "she loved My Little Pony, all the girly things one could imagine." Her casket for the service Saturday mirrors some of the things she loved in life.

[...]

JUN 20, 2019
Meet the man who donated the My Little Pony casket for Maleah Davis
Trey Ganem's SoulShine Industries created and donated a custom casket to the family of Maleah Davis.

[...]

We spoke with Ganem about his company's involvement.

What prompted SoulShine Industries to step in and help?
A lot of people actually ended up calling us, I think it was right around 100 calls, maybe even more. We definitely wanted to do something special.

[...]

How long did it take?
Work on the casket started Monday.
It’s a fairly quick process due to the heated paint booths, so we had it done Tuesday morning.

Have they ever done this before?
The Sutherland Springs church we donated, I believe, 18 to 20 caskets to that. We’ve donated to fallen police officers in Baton Rouge. We did, I think, four or five of those.

[...]

(Video in the article includes a photo with some of Maleah's family.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back