Found Safe AL - Mitchell Jordan, 51, truck found running on I-22, Brookside, Jefferson Co., 18 Jun 2019

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
64947107_2176420462466609_4490037035477762048_n.jpg

64596596_2176420469133275_7025960532205109248_n.jpg

MISSING PERSON:
At approximately 12:15pm Officers were dispatched to I22 exit 91 (Cherry Ave) to check the welfare of a truck driver. The truck was scheduled to be in Tupelo, MS this morning and the Memphis trucking company has been unable to make contact with the driver since yesterday. Officers found the truck running, locked and unoccupied. Records show the vehicle was left abandoned around 9pm on 6/18/19. The driver has been identified as Mitchell Dewayne Jordan of Eleva, WI, 51 years of age, Blk male, Height: 5’10, weight: 210. The trucking company and the drivers family are concerned for Mr. Jordan’s safety.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Mr. Jordan please call Brookside PD at 205-674-9275.

Brookside Police Department

18-wheeler truck found running in Brookside, driver remains missing

64947107_2176420462466609_4490037035477762048_n.jpg

64596596_2176420469133275_7025960532205109248_n.jpg

MISSING PERSON:
At approximately 12:15pm Officers were dispatched to I22 exit 91 (Cherry Ave) to check the welfare of a truck driver. The truck was scheduled to be in Tupelo, MS this morning and the Memphis trucking company has been unable to make contact with the driver since yesterday. Officers found the truck running, locked and unoccupied. Records show the vehicle was left abandoned around 9pm on 6/18/19. The driver has been identified as Mitchell Dewayne Jordan of Eleva, WI, 51 years of age, Blk male, Height: 5’10, weight: 210. The trucking company and the drivers family are concerned for Mr. Jordan’s safety.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Mr. Jordan please call Brookside PD at 205-674-9275.

Brookside Police Department

18-wheeler truck found running in Brookside, driver remains missing
So the truck that was abandoned had been running from 9 PM the night before and no one discovered it until 12:15 PM the next day, to which it was still running? Sounds like he must have filled up on gas just before he abandoned it?

That is strange. I doubt this is a self harm situation, as he wouldn't leave the truck running, in my opinion. Was this on the side of a road, at a rest stop? Did he have any medical issues?

I hope he's ok.

My exfiance drives 18 wheelers. I went out on a few 3 day trips with him. I realized quickly just how vulnerable the truck drivers can be. To me, it sounds like Mitchell had pulled over and needed to exit the truck for an unknown reason. It seems like he thought he’d only be outside the cab briefly because he didn’t bother to turn the truck off, letting the A/C run. He likely locked it as a “just in case” anyone would jump him and try to get in the truck and steal it.

I wonder how they narrowed it to 9pm? How would they know that’s the exact time the truck was “abandoned”? Couldn’t he have pulled over to make some phone calls/etc, but still have been in the truck for a while? Perhaps they mean it came to a stop and was never operated after 9pm. I wonder if the flashers were on? The emergency flashers. Had he thought something was technically wrong with the tires/engine/etc, surely he’d have put his flashers on and gotten out to inspect it. I don’t know. I just hope Mitchell is found safe and soon.

Jmo

So the truck that was abandoned had been running from 9 PM the night before and no one discovered it until 12:15 PM the next day, to which it was still running? Sounds like he must have filled up on gas just before he abandoned it?

That is strange. I doubt this is a self harm situation, as he wouldn't leave the truck running, in my opinion. Was this on the side of a road, at a rest stop? Did he have any medical issues?

I hope he's ok.

Those tanks typically hold 150-300 gallons of gas. He’d not have had to just filled up, but no trucker wants to leave A/C or heat on if they don’t have to, as you’re correct that it definitely burns through some gas. This sounds like he literally stepped out for a minute, fully intending to be back in the truck soon. I hope he’s found ok soon.

Barring an attempted hijacking with Mr. Jordan being a quick thinking but unfortunate victim is it possible he left the truck for a call of nature and then had a medical misadventure?

Yes, it’s possible, imo. I will share something kinda gross. After I went on a few trips, I learned that you just don’t pull off to use the bathroom, as you’re on a tight schedule. The men typically use bottles, like empty soda bottles, and throw them out when they stop. If it’s a #2, sometimes they’ll pull over and get out. Typically with diarrhea. Otherwise, they sometimes pull over quickly and use a bag, seal it & toss it at next stop. They keep wet wipes, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. I found out the hard way that women get to pee in a cup (like McDs cup), put a lid on it and throw it out at next stop. Needless to say, the trucking life is not for me!

My exfiance drives 18 wheelers. I went out on a few 3 day trips with him. I realized quickly just how vulnerable the truck drivers can be. To me, it sounds like Mitchell had pulled over and needed to exit the truck for an unknown reason. It seems like he thought he’d only be outside the cab briefly because he didn’t bother to turn the truck off, letting the A/C run. He likely locked it as a “just in case” anyone would jump him and try to get in the truck and steal it.

I wonder how they narrowed it to 9pm? How would they know that’s the exact time the truck was “abandoned”? Couldn’t he have pulled over to make some phone calls/etc, but still have been in the truck for a while? Perhaps they mean it came to a stop and was never operated after 9pm. I wonder if the flashers were on? The emergency flashers. Had he thought something was technically wrong with the tires/engine/etc, surely he’d have put his flashers on and gotten out to inspect it. I don’t know. I just hope Mitchell is found safe and soon.

Jmo
He may have had a qualcomm installed in the truck. If that's the case, his company would know if the truck is moving or not. If he didn't, a tech could have plugged in to the truck's ECM, and that would tell everything that truck has done in the past month. IE. How long it's been running, How long it's been idling, how fast it went at any given time, how many times the breaks were applied, and a whole list of other things.

Those tanks typically hold 150-300 gallons of gas. He’d not have had to just filled up, but no trucker wants to leave A/C or heat on if they don’t have to, as you’re correct that it definitely burns through some gas. This sounds like he literally stepped out for a minute, fully intending to be back in the truck soon. I hope he’s found ok soon.
Most trucks burn either side of one gallon per hour at idle, so for example, if he had 200 gallons, that truck would run for 200 hours, or almost 8 days.
I agree, I think he stepped outside for a minute too. If someone took him out of the truck against his will, I doubt he would have locked the door.
I would think they'd have checked the woods around the truck by now?
I may be wrong, but after looking at the picture, it looks like he's parked on an on-ramp, just before entering an interstate or a 4 lane road.

Just to add. Some trucks are now equipped with dual cameras. One faces the road, and the other faces the driver. They also capture audio. The company can monitor activity from the office, depending on how they are set up. Some cams will trigger something as small as a driver droops his eye lids. I wonder if the cam caught anything that may have timestamped the time it was abandoned?

Hmmmm. We had a trucking company and I've seen some crazy stuff. I am hoping he just decided to walk away. He wouldn't be the first driver to do that. A long way from home but again, I won't be too shocked if he just parked, locked and walked. I would rather he did that than pretty much any other outcome here. I just hope he lets his family know if he's okay.

LOL, well, the great news is- Mitchell is safe and sound!

Wait until you read this!

Missing Eleva truck driver found safe at home

Mr. Pink says this happens often. Guys just get fed up and just walk away. I wonder if he had a refrigerated load and that is why he kept it running. If so, at least he did that but I bet he has a difficult time finding someone to trust him with their equipment again.

When I was much younger, I did 2 weeks of mgmt. training for a large dept. store. On my first official day of work, I went to lunch and never came back. It took me that long to know the corporate world was not for me. I can't imagine doing something this crappy though, wow. Twice even!

lol yep....parked, locked & walked. He might have hitched back home with another driver or who knows? Glad he is okay and thought to lock the rig. I've seen drivers leave the keys in an unlocked rig or just leave the rig and take the keys. Truck driving is a tough job. I hope he finds employment that suits him :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back