Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different places. Obviously more than one person would have to be getting drinks from the same bottle If it is so lethal to kill, why are there not more dead?

It makes no sense Maybe the ones that died had several drinks? Only one drink would make you feel out of it and you would think you were drunk?

Maybe some had not eaten and only were drinking?

But if it is a random bottle here and there, what is the financial incentive?

The repetitive post-mortem findings of “heart attack”are certainly convenient for the DR government and tourism industry.

It makes the death the decedent’s own fault; the resort, climate, food drinks had nothing to do with it...

It’s not always that easy to diagnose an acute myocardial infarct in the very early stage, like 0-8 hours after the fatal event.

And I hope the FBI is getting ahold of those autopsy reports and slides ( I assume they did a full examination of tissue sections, too - to back up their other conclusions.)

And while they’re at it, the FBI should make sure and do DNA testing on the tissue from the autopsies to confirm the slides really came from the proper decedent.

It would be awfully easy to falsify autopsy findings if you are not going to do the complete examination - especially as we know they’ve already got excuses for the failure to perform toxicologic testing

Last edited:
maybe the culprit is tainted Mama Juana, tho that seems too simple to figure out FWIW

Mama Juana - Wikipedia

This situation seems more complex IMHO.

Yes. A workmate went to DR last year and said EVERYONE there wanted to sell them some of this stuff, starting from taxi driver to the belleman, to guys on the street & in shops. it’s clearly a homebrew - It’s hyped as an aphrodisiac made from wood herbs, red wine, & honey & fermented in a tree trunk or some such nonsense. She said it tasted like red wine w some strong spices but it wasnt good. She also liberally sampled the mini bar and had no untoward effects.

You’d think some of the fatalties would be found with this stuff around

I saw news coverage about all three deaths recently.

What shocked me is they reported since 2005 iirc 105 American have died there.

I don't believe in coincidences especially 3 people dying at the same place, and all with respiratory failure.

It blew my mind they did not do toxicology testing on any of the three sudden deaths.

Imoo

I am only on page 4, trying to catch up. Sorry if this has been asked, already. How do these American deaths stack up against all deaths there? There seem to be a lot of Americans dying. Or are we only hearing about Americans? Or are they being targeted?

maybe the culprit is tainted Mama Juana, tho that seems too simple to figure out FWIW

Mama Juana - Wikipedia

Wow, they sell that stuff on Amazon! Who would drink some unknown concoction, made with herbs that could be potentially toxic? Especially if they interacted badly with prescription medications.

It seems rather strange to replace a couple cups of booze at various locations. How much money could that possibly make?

Remember, there are millions that go to Punta Cana and only a few have gotten sick.
Idk... Could they be draining the good liquor out and keeping it for themselves, then replacing it with the bootleg stuff ?

If it’s hotel employees, cleaning staff or maintenance, maybe they just pick a few rooms here and there.

Another question, if the bootleg stuff is so poisonous, why would anyone local be drinking it? Now makes me wonder if someone’s doing this purposely. Jmo

Family unsettled after Canadian's sudden death in Dominican Republic
June 20, 2019
"An Ontario family was devastated losing ‘the rock’ of their household in April, but after at least nine deaths at Dominican Republic resorts over the past year, a woman is now questioning her husband’s sudden death there.

Ursula Schlachter said her husband of more than 60 years died suddenly during their two-week trip there. “It was totally unexpected,” she told CTV Toronto"

"Before going on the trip, Schlachter recalled her husband Alois recently had a check-up and received a “perfect clean bill of health,” with the doctor telling him to “go enjoy yourself.”

"Schlachter began questioning the circumstances of his death after the most recently reported case of Joseph Allan from New Jersey, who died of cardiac arrest while vacationing in the Dominican city of Sosua.

The Schlachter family said they‘re now awaiting for an autopsy to determine the cause of death."

Mama Juana - Wikipedia

“In recent years, the consumption of mamajuana has seen a sharp rise, with commercial brands becoming available in the Dominican Republic and internationally. Premium brands, such as Candela and Anteroz, are exported and sold internationally. Ready to drink brands such as Karibú, Tremols and Kalembú can be purchased in duty-free shops, resorts and liquor stores.”

From the first paragraph:

“From the moment you land in the DR to the moment you get back on the plane, the locals are always there to welcome and send you off with a shot of their national drink.”

I keep thinking about an improper pesticide like methyl bromide

I am haunted by the story of the family who were heavily poisoned by the banned pesticide methyl bromide used by Teminex used in the lovely villa on a Caribbean island.

Huge settlement for family sickened by toxic pesticide on vacation

(This is horrible!)

This pertains to Mexico, but who knows?
U.S. State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol at Mexico resorts after blackouts reported
Dec 29 2017
"The updated warning comes in the wake of a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigation surrounding a Wisconsin woman’s death that raised questions about drinks being served in all-inclusive resorts in Mexico.

RELATED: Tourists to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico suspect they were given tainted alcohol

RELATED: A Mexican vacation, a mysterious death, and now endless questions for Wisconsin family

Following the initial report, the Journal Sentinel has received accounts from more than three dozen people reporting similar experiences after drinking limited amounts of alcohol at such resorts.

“Following these reports and in consultation with our Posts in Mexico, we updated our Country Specific Information for Mexico to provide updated safety information regarding potentially tainted alcohol,” the department official said in the email.

The blackouts have happened to men and women, young and old, to singles and to couples, according to interviews with travelers and family members whose loved ones died or were injured at the resorts, as well as hospital records, ambulance receipts, hotel correspondence and other documents.

Abbey Conner, a 20-year-old from Pewaukee, died in January after being pulled listless from a pool at the Paraiso del Mar, part of a cluster of Iberostar resorts near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. She was brain dead, and a few days later was flown to Florida, where she was taken off life support.

Her brother, 22-year-old Austin, also reported blacking out. He had a lump on his forehead and a severe concussion. The two had arrived with their mother and step-father at the resort just hours earlier and had been drinking at a swim-up bar.

Numerous others told the Journal Sentinel of similar experiences, with several couples reporting blacking out at the same time. A woman from Neenah reported being sexually assaulted, while her husband woke with a broken hand.

Blackout incidents have happened at Iberostar’s property in Cancun and at the company's cluster of resorts 30 miles to the south in Playa del Carmen. Incidents were also reported at other all-inclusive resorts in the region."

(This was one heck of an article. Thanks for posting. I recommend taking a read for anyone who might have missed it, even though it’s about resorts in Mexico. Terrifying!

Tourists to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico suspect they were given tainted alcohol )

This is just, no words.

Making a note of this resort, Magestic Elegance, to see if it comes up in future posts as I’m catching up ; I realize this is a different type of incident. The perp is obviously an employee...

From Tammy’s thread:

Delaware mother beaten and left for dead during Punta Cana vacation warns her attacker is ‘still out there’ and ‘waiting for his next victim’
3CRX25ODSFBOZJ6EVUIWOIDSKM.jpg

Delaware woman beaten, left for dead at Dominican resort
"Lawrence-Daley, 51, explained how what was meant to be a fun vacation in Punta Cana with her husband and their two best friends quickly turned into a nightmare.

After a night of beach activities and dancing, she called the reception from her hotel room in hopes of getting some food. Since no one answered, she went downstairs to look for the snack bar. The hallways were empty and quiet, and as she was walking back to her suite, she heard heavy footsteps: “One, two, three, four, then they sped up, and then before I could react I was plowed into from behind and immediately immobilized. His arms wrapped around me and he started pulling me immediately into an unlocked maintenance room.”

"The attacker — who was wearing a hotel uniform — strangled her multiple times, kicked her in the head, dragged her down concrete stairs, and beat her with a club. Once he believed her dead, he threw her in an underground wastewater area.

“I’m not going to go into the gory details of everything, however, please know that I fought with everything I had at that moment. He was too strong,” she recalled.

Due to the severity of the beating, Lawrence-Daley went in and out of consciousness several times. She doesn’t know if she was sexually assaulted, but she assumes the worst. After eight hours of “pain and fear,” she woke up in the dirty puddle of water to the voices of her loved ones looking for her.

When her husband and friends finally found her, they rushed her to the emergency room, where she stayed for five days and underwent surgery for her injuries."

"Despite the fact that police found evidence of the man’s blood-stained hands on a mop handle in the resort basement, and his uniform hat, they did not investigate or press any charges, and the resort did not take any responsibility.

“This man thought he killed me, but he failed. He is still out there, a predator, waiting for his next victim. Only the next woman may not be so fortunate,” wrote Lawrence-Daley. “These attacks are happening too frequently and the criminals are NOT being prosecuted even though evidence is found. Victims are not being compensated for medical or pain and suffering, and the resorts are not held liable.”

Majestic Elegance, the resort she was staying in, didn’t offer to reimburse her vacation or pay her medical bills. Instead, they buried the story."

Last edited:
FWIW, I was just spent a week in Punta Cana in May with 60 others (wedding) and not even one of us got sick! We all stayed at a resort called the Majestic. So far, I haven’t seen anything in the news about any of their three resorts.

Regardless, I would not go back to the DR anytime soon after seeing what has happened to so many people. I think we just got lucky & were at a pretty high end resort. We were also careful to never drink the water (even brushing our teeth).

My fiance and I bought a bottle of “Mamajuana” on one of our excursions that is still unopened, and we plan on dumping it just to be safe.

Just thought I’d throw my own experience in

(This is horrible!)

(This was one heck of an article. Thanks for posting. I recommend taking a read for anyone who might have missed it, even though it’s about resorts in Mexico. Terrifying!

Tourists to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico suspect they were given tainted alcohol )

This is just, no words.

Making a note of this resort, Magestic Elegance, to see if it comes up in future posts as I’m catching up ; I realize this is a different type of incident. The perp is obviously an employee...

From Tammy’s thread:
Holy , I posted my comment without reading yours first (I was one page back still) and said that I just stayed at the Majestic and hadn’t heard anything bad about it yet. I mentioned that they have 3 resorts; we stayed at the Mirage which is the luxurious one out of them.

Wow! Wow. How awful. My god

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member