Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
There won't ever be a true Death Sentence because California isn't ever going to reenact the death Penalty again.

But if he gets placed on pretend Death Row, he might be better off, strategically. He gets one automatic paid appeal, and he gets segregated, protected living quarters, as opposed to being a vulnerable target.

I agree about California never imposing death sentences again. Not with this governor anyway. It's a slap in the face to us voters and taxpayers. But death row inmates still benefit from the "perks" you described. Now I hope he gets LWOP so he is a target. LOL at "pretend death row"

MOO

I agree about California never imposing death sentences again. Not with this governor anyway. It's a slap in the face to us voters and taxpayers. But death row inmates still benefit from the "perks" you described. Now I hope he gets LWOP so he is a target. LOL at "pretend death row"

MOO

You are convincing for LWOP

It's already 10am Friday in my neck of the woods, and I shall still be packing zzzz when the sentence is delivered by 10am Friday in California. Odds are that I'll sit bolt upright in my bed nonetheless when the verdict is delivered.
I wish to thank each and every one of my Websleuths companions for your tireless dedication and patience through the years. Blessings all round.

IMO he would have been much more effective pleading for mercy for his client. All of 5 minutes.He sits before you a guilty man. He is a flawed man but he is a human being. Two of his 3 children sit before you. His oldest daughter, Taylor, has been here since day one supporting her father whom she loves and believes in.He splurged to buy her her favorite prom dress. Consider these children living under the veil of their father being sentenced to death. Is it really worth it? Is it really appropriate MOO.
Appropriate ?Let me think .....
Who died first ?
Did Gianni have to watch his mother & brother bludgeoned before him?
Did Joe Jr have to watch Gianni die first , knowing he’d be next ? What kind of fear, emotional torture would that create ?
Did Summer die before or after her babies’ were beaten to death ?
CM’s children are also victims of his actions. It’s tragic that they will also have to live with this , but their father chose it for them.
Taylor is enabling her father , just as her mother has over the years.
CM is extremely good at manipulating people’s feelings.
Taylor & mom both lied on the stand . If Taylor “believed in” CM that wouldn’t have been necessary ,IMO.

What would Summer tell us about those last days, weeks and months leading up to the murders?

That is what was on my mind when I woke up this morning. You see, I experienced a similar dynamic where an abuser tried to dig into my life.

It's insidious, and here is what happens.

Joe, as the victim, is caught between his loyalty to his wife, and his loyalty to his "friend". He'll always be trying to make it right. Trying to mediate. Joe is confused by Summer's hostility to CM. Old "Chase" is a great guy. Everyone likes him but you. Why can't you get on? And to CM. Why wind Summer up like that? You get on with everyone else - you are earning me grief man!

None of this is accidental. The abuser intentionally seeks to damage Joey's relationship with Summer to increase his control over his victim. CM bad mouths Summer and the kids to Joey's family - indeed whenever he can. He poisons people against her.

Joe will begin to resent being piggy in the middle all the time and fight with Summer about Chase. That's what happens. You spend more and more time fighting about this poisonous person in your lives.

Summer doesn't get why Joe can't see it. But here is the truly evil part.

CM shows his real face to Summer. The one Joe never sees. It's not that Summer is way more perceptive than Joe. It is that Chase reveals himself to her. This is why Summer is isolated. Chase is charming to everyone except her. They all know the nice Chase who is down on his luck. She knows the evil guy under the skin.

Summer resents this person in her life. She resents Joe for bringing him into the home. She fights with Joe because he won't listen. Because he's similar to an abused wife. He blames himself. He believes Chase's sob stories. He always hopes for a resolution. A candle of loyalty still burns.

This is where the abuser cranks up the tension. He is always there - including unannounced. He is calling all the time.

He knows the precise grapple points to hook in. The things you share that can't be ignored. Maybe your house project. Maybe your business. Your money.

Always money. Oh how Summer resented the money as she saw Joe get used time and again. Remember its not just Joe's money. They are married. It's her money. It's her money that CM cons. So what better place to stoke up a new conflict than over money?

It can take years to dig out of this abusive cycle. And it is not a straight line process. You can have a year of seemingly better times, before a new crisis hits.

IMO Summer was winning but sadly we can never know what her and Joe decided about Chase. She was silenced. What we do know is that Joe had slashed Chase's role in 2009. What we do know is things were on the up for the McStays. New home, increasing sales, great clients ....

What we do know is the abuser became a heavy presence in their lives in the last weeks

What we do know is he then did something so outrageous that it was certain to cause a huge ruction between Summer and Joe ... Something that would make Summer wildly angry. Something Joe might have to hide from Summer.

What would Summer tell us about those last days and hours? What did she find out? What boundary did she finally draw?

My 02c

Absolutely beautifully and thoughtfully written. Thank you.

Unless they've decided and are sleeping on it, then we could have it tomorrow. Otherwise....yeah.
Remember they have the hour and a half to get everyone back to the courthouse. If they come in at 8:30, read the verdict at 10:00 that's only a half hour before they have to leave, and that's assuming everything goes like clock work. I don't think they'll read it any sooner than Monday.

Merritt's face says he's lost all hope.

I think saying his client will die in prison either by natural causes or executed (Maline knows Chase isn't going to be executed in Calif) couldn't have given Chase much hope. lol

Remember the guy was on his death bed when he was arrested. :rolleyes: He'll probably live to be 100. I hope another inmate gets him. I know that's cruel. MOO

Excellent post MissJames.
The actuality of who was murdered first, and what order where they murdered haunts me.
Every single scenario haunts me.
I do not think we will ever know.
I would like to add that I've noticed Chase Merritt's face has changed these last 10 years.
Now, he has a perpetual scary frown on his face. In the beginning, I never found him attractive, but now to me, his ugliness is there for all to see.
Appropriate ?Let me think .....
Who died first ?
Did Gianni have to watch his mother & brother bludgeoned before him?
Did Joe Jr have to watch Gianni die first , knowing he’d be next ? What kind of fear, emotional torture would that create ?
Did Summer die before or after her babies’ were beaten to death ?
CM’s children are also victims of his actions. It’s tragic that they will also have to live with this , but their father chose it for them.
Taylor is enabling her father , just as her mother has over the years.
CM is extremely good at manipulating people’s feelings.
Taylor & mom both lied on the stand . If Taylor “believed in” CM that wouldn’t have been necessary ,IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304