Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked again and it’s still there in The Searching For Theo group. In the search bar, type bike and the post comes up. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to screenshot it here?

I think you can give the time and date of the post on the Looking for Theo Hayez page, then we need to leave others to look at it and think their own thoughts, IYKWIM. :)
Just thinking of Coco's post a few pages back.
If you're not sure, it is always good to ask one of the mods first, in my experience. Until the rules are clear in all newer members minds.

Last edited:
I think you can give the time and date of the post on the Looking for Theo Hayez page, then we need to leave others to look at it and think their own thoughts, IYKWIM. :)
Just thinking of Coco's post a few pages back.
If you're not sure, it is always good to ask one of the mods first, in my experience. Until the rules are clear in all newer members minds.
Yeah., that’s what I thought. Thank you.

A few points

- Lisa (cousin) has confirmed herself and other family members have accessed Theo’s account and read messages to see if there were any clues. So any messages that have been “read” since he disappeared have been them.

- If you’ve been to Byron and walked the lighthouse route you’d know it’s not something you would do at midnight. You also wouldn’t wait 6 hours in 5 degree weather for sunrise.

- In Byron (and many other pubs) you can be kicked out for just being a male. I’ve been asked to leave for being drunk when I was completely sober and the designated driver! Not saying he was sober but the footage doesn’t show an extremely intoxicated person. He left on good terms. By all accounts he has been described as a polite young man and there’s no evidence to say he would have been into illegal activities (drugs).

- Can anyone recall any other cases were police have said “no foul play suspected” and gone onto being murder?
Sarah Cafferkey is one I can think of and police were all over SJH.

- IMO Homicide squad is usually only called in if they do suspect foul play ... many people go missing around Australia each week and I’ve not seen coverage like this for them.

Liesel Smith and Carly McBride are two I can think of that had homicide squad involved early and they took 6 and 2 years for arrests to happen for murder charges.

Was the homicide squad involved in the search for Daniel O’keefe? Large missing person case but I can’t recall them being called upon. Nor for Elisa Curry missing from Aireys Inlet. Both ended up being non suspicious deaths.

Last edited:
From what I'm gathering, there is no predetermined time he was expecting to be somewhere, given he had been booted from CM.
Timeline is very significant.
Still thinking about recharging his phone somewhere? Dunno why? If even significant.
Seems random happenings to me...of what kind? I'm not sure...

What’s an unsub?

Short for unknown subject.

A turned off phone still pings right?

No I don't think so. It pings one last time when you turn it off afaik, to sign off.

Sad to see he hasn't been found still. His family .... I can't even imagine what they are going through! Hoping for some good leads soon.

Wonder if they’ve checked all available cctv for cars leaving Dryden, Kendall or Milton Streets. The traffic wouldn’t have been heavy out of that area overnight, but the cameras may be few and the quality poor especially at night.

If he was in the hostel area and then left by a vehicle, it may have been captured on the Servo cctv. Thinking of the police releasing the footage of those 50 odd vehicles caught on the petrol station camera a month or so after Toyah Cordingley was killed not far up the road.

Wonder if they’ve checked all available cctv for cars leaving Dryden, Kendall or Milton Streets. The traffic wouldn’t have been heavy out of that area overnight, but the cameras may be few and the quality poor especially at night.

If he was in the hostel area and then left by a vehicle, it may have been captured on the Servo cctv. Thinking of the police releasing the footage of those 50 odd vehicles caught on the petrol station camera a month or so after Toyah Cordingley was killed not far up the road.

And the CCTV released in the Karen Ristevski case of several cars seen travelling with her car on the day she was transported into the bush - trying to find witnesses to confirm who was driving her car, and possibly some dash cam video.
And the CCTV stills that the police put up locally in Kendall for people to come in and identify their own vehicle, in little William's case.

I certainly hope that we hear more about this case, now that the search is coming to an end. With Homicide being involved I feel that there may be an ongoing investigation.

They searched and searched for William Tyrrell, multiple times over the years, and the investigation has never ended.

And the CCTV released in the Karen Ristevski case of several cars seen travelling with her car on the day she was transported into the bush - trying to find witnesses to confirm who was driving her car, and possibly some dash cam video.
And the CCTV stills that the police put up locally in Kendall for people to come in and identify their own vehicle.

I certainly hope that we hear more about this case, now that the search is coming to an end. With Homicide being involved I feel that there may be an ongoing investigation.

They searched and searched for William Tyrrell, multiple times over the years, and the investigation has never ended.
Finding the body or evidence of a crime committed is the kicker. If Theo left the area intact in a vehicle, what is left behind except possible visuals of the departure. His phone may have been thrown out overnight or the next day and as well as wanting what’s in it, they’d also be after what’s on it, like dna.

i wonder if Theo was a keen swimmer in Belgium ? he has the physique.
then he wouldn't be afraid of cold water temps.
i hope he didn't go swimming inebriated fully clothed -
they lost a whole Malaysian plane in the ocean once. how do u find one person?
like everyone with a heart my heart breaks for the family...
the super caring fathers grief so visceral . his heart completely on his sleeve. bless bless him.

the super caring fathers grief so visceral . his heart completely on his sleeve. bless bless him.

That's just it. You don't find them. And you never know what circumstance they disappeared under. It is always and forever a question.
Which is why it is better for the loved ones if the person is found.

There have been too many cases that I can think of where people have disappeared, presumably into the ocean.
The recent French and English lads that disappeared near there recently.
The case of a young man who disappeared off a cliff in NSW near a gay beat, they think he was pushed (this was a while ago).
Give me time and I could think of more ... because there are more.

(BTW: Speaking of MH370, when I first saw your member name it reminded me of the mangosteens on that flight. Don't know why?? But it did. :) )

So so many scenarios could have taken place. He was last seen using his phone. He could have been spotted and offered a lift, robbed, things could have turned out really bad and the perps could have decided to get rid of the phone, throwing it down the cliff face near the lighthouse and taken poor Theo anywhere! Nothing can be proven yet but that’s just another incident that could have taken place. Being intoxicated as well, could have taken Theo into a situation of foul play and he could have been tricked into anything.
I live 30 minutes from Byron and there is so much bush land in the surrounding areas as well as there have been many sightings of bull sharks and beaches closed over the last few months and more.
Definitely like finding a needle in a haystack

Last edited:
A few points

- Lisa (cousin) has confirmed herself and other family members have accessed Theo’s account and read messages to see if there were any clues. So any messages that have been “read” since he disappeared have been them.

- If you’ve been to Byron and walked the lighthouse route you’d know it’s not something you would do at midnight. You also wouldn’t wait 6 hours in 5 degree weather for sunrise.

- In Byron (and many other pubs) you can be kicked out for just being a male. I’ve been asked to leave for being drunk when I was completely sober and the designated driver! Not saying he was sober but the footage doesn’t show an extremely intoxicated person. He left on good terms. By all accounts he has been described as a polite young man and there’s no evidence to say he would have been into illegal activities (drugs).

- Can anyone recall any other cases were police have said “no foul play suspected” and gone onto being murder?
Sarah Cafferkey is one I can think of and police were all over SJH.

- IMO Homicide squad is usually only called in if they do suspect foul play ... many people go missing around Australia each week and I’ve not seen coverage like this for them.

Liesel Smith and Carly McBride are two I can think of that had homicide squad involved early and they took 6 and 2 years for arrests to happen for murder charges.

Was the homicide squad involved in the search for Daniel O’keefe? Large missing person case but I can’t recall them being called upon. Nor for Elisa Curry missing from Aireys Inlet. Both ended up being non suspicious deaths.

You claim pubs kick patrons out for "being male"... I have to take that to mean that they're kicked out for harassing women or making unwanted advances that have been complained about or they're engaging in violent or aggressive behaviour with other customers or with staffq... No establishment kicks people out ONLY "because they're male"....

So, was he drunk... Had someone complained about him/someone else behaving poorly (could have been mistaken identity by security)... Did someone else become aggressive towards him and he stand up for himself (Eg he chats to a female patron or staff member and her bf/someone who is pursuing her makes trouble to 'warn him off')...

Did someone involved or connected to an incident inside follow him /find him later (maybe he mentioned where he was staying and they left later and found him... As such not captured on cctv in the time line).

Welcome to Websleuths @mangoes999 Thank you for joining us and for caring about Theo.

You claim pubs kick patrons out for "being male"... I have to take that to mean that they're kicked out for harassing women or making unwanted advances that have been complained about or they're engaging in violent or aggressive behaviour with other customers or with staffq... No establishment kicks people out ONLY "because they're male"....

So, was he drunk... Had someone complained about him/someone else behaving poorly (could have been mistaken identity by security)... Did someone else become aggressive towards him and he stand up for himself (Eg he chats to a female patron or staff member and her bf/someone who is pursuing her makes trouble to 'warn him off')...

Did someone involved or connected to an incident inside follow him /find him later (maybe he mentioned where he was staying and they left later and found him... As such not captured on cctv in the time line).

I have to say, this is the primary thought for me about what has happened to Theo.
And if it was an aggressive club situation, another person may also have been ejected - unless, perhaps, that person was a well liked regular/local patron.

It also could have a lot to do with police recently requesting CCTV from Tennyson Street and further CCTV from Jonson Street. And dash cam video.

If only Theo hadn't had to leave on his own. So vulnerable.

Last edited:
You know, if Theo went for night swim there would be at least his hoody, shoes and phone on the beach waiting. In that scenario, if someone nicked his unattended phone, the chances are they’d leave his shoes or hoody. The phone would be the coveted item.

I don’t think he went for a swim.

If he fell in water with his phone on him, his phone would’ve died quickly, and presumably earlier than 1.42pm the next afternoon.

If he’s with his phone and outdoors, why so hidden or off the beaten track?

If he’s fallen from a height, like the cliffs, he would’ve been found by now.

If he was so intoxicated to be asked to leave, he wouldn’t walk so straight down the streets, and the bouncers would need to assist him, even get him in a cab out of concern. I wonder if got kicked out at tipsy and loud, rather than over the limit and wobbly. Is this linked to retribution for whatever went down in the bar?

I’m stumped and doubt we can resolve this as there’s something critical we’re yet to learn from the authorities.

I’m a well educated 30 year old married female, not a disgruntled male who was kicked out of a pub once and in denial about my behaviour. This is my experience in Melbourne - I’m not saying it happened in Theo’s case but it does happen. I’ve seen first hand groups of males not accepted inside unless females are with them as it throws off the gender balance inside. I’ve worked in pubs/clubs when younger so don’t put my opinion down thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan