CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the officers gun was a Glock it may not have a manual safety that operates as you describe.

Basically the gun has automatic safeties that prevent accidental discharges of the gun. However to fire, all you need to do is pull the trigger.

Another fact that is missing from us. What kind of gun was used and did it have a manual safety?

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system

Do we even know what police department SS works for?

It’d be quite possible that someone in the LAPD would carry a Glock. No idea what the Corona PD has.

LAPD Equipment - Los Angeles Police Department

Do we even know what police department SS works for?

It’d be quite likely that someone in the LAPD would carry a Glock.
I think he's employed by LAPD

Glocks are popular with LE agency's all over the country and are also popular with civilians.

Why the Glock Became America's Handgun

Why the Glock Became America’s Handgun

I was replying to Wary’s hypothetical scenario in which he drew his gun as he got up. We have no idea what he actually did. Either way, it seems that things happened fast.
How could he have been unconscious if things happened fast though? I guess it's that split second kind of unconsciousness.

I think he's employed by LAPD

Glocks are popular with LE agency's all over the country and are also popular with civilians.

Why the Glock Became America's Handgun

Why the Glock Became America’s Handgun
The gun he used is described as a 9 mm pistol.
"Sanchez was knocked to the ground and moments later opened fire with a 9 mm pistol he was carrying, killing French and critically wounding his parents."
What We Know, And Don't Know, About The Fatal Costco Shooting By An Off-Duty LAPD Cop

I've heard five to seven shots were fired. I'm not sure where the distance you're coming up with came from. Maybe I've missed it. We have this witness report.

Costco Shooting Leaves Family of Man Killed by Off-Duty Officer Demanding Answers
Five to seven feet is supposedly the distance the shooter was away from French and his parents.

"How far away was Sanchez when he opened fire on French and his parents? Galipo said based on his conversation with Russel French, Sanchez was five to seven feet away. That too has yet to be confirmed by investigators."

What We Know, And Don't Know, About The Fatal Costco Shooting By An Off-Duty LAPD Cop

Possibly the most terrifying post I've read on WS.

Moo.

Well...the idea may seem horrifying at first. But it's backed up by law. An unarmed attack can occur in a number of ways, and people do have the right to defend themselves against bodily harm. For example, what about a rape? What about someone absolutely whacked out on drugs (like bath salts) who is approaching you in an aggressive manner and won't listen to your warnings? In both cases, you don't really know if the person intends to kill you. But you do have to do everything you can to protect yourself from them.

I'm going to go with he didn't, and that he got special treatment once they found out he was a member of the club. JMO of course.
My feelings exactly. They are treating it as if he was on duty, not a regular citizen. I find it hard to believe that if a regular citizen started shooting at Costco (even if he was pushed by someone) they wouldn't have arrested that regular citizen on the spot and hauled his behind into jail.

Well...the idea may seem horrifying at first. But it's backed up by law. An unarmed attack can occur in a number of ways, and people do have the right to defend themselves against bodily harm. For example, what about a rape? What about someone absolutely whacked out on drugs (like bath salts) who is approaching you in an aggressive manner and won't listen to your warnings? In both cases, you don't really know if the person intends to kill you. But you do have to do everything you can to protect yourself from them.
I am of the opinion that I do not have the authority to end the life of a human being for any reason.

I have no problem with self-defense. I don't think what happened here qualifies as such. For one, he shot 3 people, when only one attacked him. For other, I don't think Mr. French was doing anything to attack him at the time he was shot and killed (at least based on the information available thus far).

I have skipped pages as I must comment. Why do the parents feel they are able to subject the public in a large crowded store to their mentally disturbed son who is off his meds? He is a big guy, much larger than either of them so they have no chance of controlling or stopping him if he does something wrong. Who knows what may happen with him off his medicines? He may have never been violent before, his medicines controlled his behavior.

If he is schizophrenic, or whatever his diagnosis, no one knows what or when or if something unknown will upset him. This is the danger of many mental diseases.

The police officer was a bit trigger happy it appears, but that is the way too many officers are trained in the last 10-15 years. IMO.

French must have pushed the officer extremely hard to cause him to go all the way to the floor. Where was French when the officer regained consciousness? Was he standing over the officer? Had his parents been able to get French to move away? This is an important question.

Honestly, this was a tragic accident. However, I see fault on both sides.

We don't know if the son was off his meds. We also don't know if he is schizophrenic or what his actual diagnosis is. All of that seemed to be speculation by relatives. It also doesn't appear, at least from what has been reported, that son was aggressive before. There are many photos of the son in public places with his parents. So obviously on prior occasions son was able to go to public places, accompanied by his parents, without any problems.

I am of the opinion that I do not have the authority to end the life of a human being for any reason.
I don't have any problem with self-defense if that self-defense is actually needed. What we so far know here doesn't fit as far as I am concerned. Especially considering that two parents he shot weren't attacking him-so how shooting of the parents could possibly be considered self-defense? If he didn't intend to shoot the parents, but shot them because they were close to their son-that means all the people close to Mr. French would have been in danger of being shot. So shooting in a public place obviously is extremely dangerous.

I've been following along with this case and the thread. I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm surprised there hasn't been an arrest yet. <modsnip - personal bickering> I hope more info comes out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have skipped pages as I must comment. Why do the parents feel they are able to subject the public in a large crowded store to their mentally disturbed son who is off his meds?

I thought maybe you were posting this about the police officer.

I've been following along with this case and the thread. I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm surprised there hasn't been an arrest yet. I've found that some posters on WS like to ruffle feathers. I hope more info comes out soon.
I am pretty sure the reason there hasn't been an arrest is because a shooter is a LAPD cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member