Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I think I was looking at the NSL address from the wrong angle. Friends (including myself) were looking at it like why is she going to a random address in the middle of night to potentially a random person. But I'm thinking more along the lines of this is a person that Kenzie felt she knows - and knew enough that she trusted this person and was willing to go to this person's address in NSL. No I don't think Kenzie would go see a stranger in the middle of the night at an unknown address. But she would go see someone she knows or trusts (or thinks she knows) - even at that hour. So I am leaning towards there is someone she knew and was talking to who meet up with her at an address in NSL.
I totally agree. While LE has said it was an "unfamiliar" address, I think that means she had never taken a Lyft car there in the past. Perhaps she has driven in her own car to that location in the past. Or, has been a passenger in a car. Or, she simply knew the person and that person invited her over.

I really do not believe she went to a completely unknown location - she had some previous connection, imo, to the destination.

I'm leaning toward sugar-daddy and am remaining hopeful that she is spending time with that person voluntarily or that person gave her the means to disappear. I have been wondering if her schoolwork was a stress for her and she wanted to escape.

But, I'm also considering foul play - haven't ruled that out by any means.

jmo

So the family and friends are pleading for information. Yet reportedly the police are showing a lack of urgency bordering on lackadaisical, that is leading some to think LE has info she has disappeared voluntarily. If that is true, it seems pretty cruel for LE not to share what information they have with the family.
Are they showing a lack of urgency? I do think, like in all of these types of cases, that LE knows more than they are sharing. That’s standard protocol. If they knew it was voluntary, LE wouldn’t even be involved, IMO. I think LE is gathering info at this time and they are protecting the investigation.

If she missed a mid-term exam- clearly she was in the middle of summer courses. WHY would she plan to leave for California for a wedding on a Sunday? Summer courses tend to be accelerated - so missing en entire week is like missing two weeks during the traditional academic year.

I am leaning toward voluntary- but there is so much we don;t know. Has her family come to SLC yet?

The travel schedule has been all kinds of confuzzled. As of yesterday it was still unclear to me, but the wedding may be later in July.

There were also some posts indicating that she was scheduled to return to CA to see her family this past weekend and she missed that flight - which may have prompted the missing report.

So there may be two different planned trips that were conflated in to one.

As always, I’m happy to be corrected if I’m still confused on this point. I was certainly unclear on it yesterday!

Jmo.

I think people can critique the lifestyle, make a fair assessment of the risks involved in the lifestyle and say "Well, she was doing this" and not be shaming or blaming the person, or thinking they're not "good" people. It's just well... facts. It's just the reality and gravity of the situation.
I don't think people think of these things as risks that need to be calculated, but they are. Just as speeding or drunk driving is.
You owe yourself some accountability, if only to keep yourself safe.
There is a lot of strength and personal power in that.

I think in this circumstance, if this is a factor in her disappearance (and let's face it, it's likely), the reality of those risks are going to steer the outcome, unfortunately.

I mainly agree with you that it is a factor of consideration, just like in other missing persons cases their significant others are. I also agree that being in an exchange based relationship does flag some concern of risky behavior or activity based purely on self-control/impulsive behaviors scales. (I am a criminologist, with victimology and mental health focused expertise, for reference).

That said, terminology and phrase is still important. Yes, this may be a flag of some risky lifestyle behavior but so is drinking, using drugs, making impulsive shopping purchases. Things the vast majority of society does. I simply think referring to this individual as a romantic partner or significant other removes any shaming words from the conversation. Just because she was doing risky behavior is still not a reason for implying it is her fault in anyway. And there is some slightly more calculated risk involved in an ongoing sugar relationship than something as quickly decided on like speeding. It’s not likely a sugar relationship is even on the risky behavior level as a one night stand. It’s generally, more involved than that and has foundations like normal traditional relationships with exchange added in.

I agree we can all discuss and try to piece together what may have happened to ML and that includes talk of her known activities, I just want to be sure it’s in a tone that leaves out any blame or shame on her sexual decisions with her body and life.

:)

Welcome to Websleuths, Yellowstone. Nice to have you with us. :) I'm not sure what you mean by sugar lifestyle, could you expound on that a little? Thanks! MOO

Welcome to you also, Anikulapo. :) Thanks for joining us. MOO
I'm assuming the "lifestyle" refers to relationships between older, wealthy men and young attractive women where each enjoy the benefits? Although I have no idea what the sugar daddy website is that some are referring to, or whatever it is.
Just going by what I know about the term "sugar daddy" since it's been around forever. Imo

KSL Newsradio on Twitter
The search for missing University of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck is moving into its 7th day. If you have any information please notify the Salt Lake City Police https://kslnewsradio.com/1907336
D91Ia60U8AA1MxF.jpg

7:30 AM - 24 Jun 2019

I am in the same sorority as ML but at a different college, and to be frank the that whole sugar lifestyle is extremely common amongst our coumminty. ML did use her Facebook to give advice and to talk about her experiencse but that doesn't mean her family and close friends knew 100% what was going on.
I have already seen nasty comments about ML on other media sites so I see why her family and the police are tight lipped.

How common is extremely common?

I'm assuming the "lifestyle" refers to relationships between older, wealthy men and young attractive women where each enjoy the benefits? Although I have no idea what the sugar daddy website is that some are referring to, or whatever it is.
Just going by what I know about the term "sugar daddy" since it's been around forever. Imo
Well sure, we all know what a sugar daddy is but the post said "sugar lifestyle." If that's the same thing, then fine, but it wasn't clear to me what the OP meant. MOO

Well sure, we all know what a sugar daddy is but the post said "sugar lifestyle." If that's the same thing, then fine, but it's not clear to me what the OP meant. MOO

Typically speaking, sugar lifestyle refers more generally to being a companion to someone older who in exchange for companionship, will give gifts. These gifts often include money, lavish items, paying for bills etc. Sugar lifestyle does not necessarily include sexual favors, but can. Also sugar lifestyle may include many relationships, not one specific partner or provider.

Sugar daddy is similar to the lifestyle but is usually used with a singular partner and more of an ownership relationship with sexual favors being more highly included in this more monogamous relationship.

I'm still catching up this morning. So this may have already been posted. Local and National CBS news just reported that LE is still working on getting warrants for Kenzie's cell phone records. As there is not enough probable cause. No evidence of foul play.
Hmm....if a judge doesn't think there is enough evidence of foul play and won't sign a warrant, that carries weight in my opinion.

jmo

Typically speaking, sugar lifestyle refers more generally to being a companion to someone older who in exchange for companionship, will give gifts. These gifts often include money, lavish items, paying for bills etc. Sugar lifestyle does not necessarily include sexual favors, but can. Also sugar lifestyle may include many relationships, not one specific partner or provider.

Sugar daddy is similar to the lifestyle but is usually used with a singular partner and more of an ownership relationship with sexual favors being more highly included in this more monogamous relationship.
Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure what we're talking about. I missed a large part of the day here yesterday - the PC and everything following, but I think I'm up to speed now. Thanks! MOO

Ok. So, since this is a hot topic, may I ask something? Is it also considered a “sugar” lifestyle if a woman or man accepts money or gifts in return for photos and video? In other words, there’s no physical relationship. No judgy comments please, I’m just getting clarification. The reason this could be important is that she may never meet these people so then attention would be to a possible stalker or a random act vs she met some dude on the internet and set up a date. Again, this is if foul play is assumed.

Are they showing a lack of urgency? I do think, like in all of these types of cases, that LE knows more than they are sharing. That’s standard protocol. If they knew it was voluntary, LE wouldn’t even be involved, IMO. I think LE is gathering info at this time and they are protecting the investigation.
Yes, I don't think they would conduct the investigation as if she was in danger or something bad happened unless they had some evidence pointing in that direction.
I would think the more time that goes by that she hasn't communicated with anyone the more serious the situation. Maybe they are waiting for those phone records. Imo

Hmm....if a judge doesn't think there is enough evidence of foul play and won't sign a warrant, that carries weight in my opinion.

jmo
I'll bet they get the warrant. She was just reported missing on Thursday and they have had much to investigate/confirm over the past several days.
  • She hasn't returned to her home.
  • Her phone is off.
  • No family or friends have heard from her since 1 a.m. Monday.
  • She took a Lyft to North Salt Lake where she does not live.
  • Her luggage has not been located.
  • She hasn't shown up for work.
  • She missed her midterm exams.
  • Her social media has been inactive.
  • Her bank account has been inactive.
  • She missed a flight back to CA and a friend's wedding.
  • Her friends don't know anyone she knows in North Salt Lake.
  • Her vehicle is at her home and has not been moved.
  • She made no arrangements for the care of her cat.

Last edited:
Ok. So, since this is a hot topic, may I ask something? Is it also considered a “sugar” lifestyle if a woman or man accepts money or gifts in return for photos and video? In other words, there’s no physical relationship. No judgy comments please, I’m just getting clarification. The reason this could be important is that she may never meet these people so then attention would be to a possible stalker or a random act vs she met some dude on the internet and set up a date. Again, this is if foul play is assumed.

It could be. Typically if in a sugar lifestyle these terms are discussed (ie being a sugar baby, if someone is a sugar daddy or mommy, etc). There are MANY people who do things like have a private Snapchat which people pay month for access and on that Snapchat a girl (or boy but typically girl) will post revealing photos of herself. This is more business model than sugar lifestyle unless these terms have been used by the individuals (ie. “I’m a sugar baby looking for some parents.”)

There are so many variations of sexual lifestyles, subcommunities, fetishes, and deviance that it really is hard to define across the board which category someone fits into without them personally stating.

That all said, I am assuming with ML you are asking if it’s possible she was in the sugar lifestyle or had a sugar daddy and was never physically in the same place, the answer is yes of course that is possible. Nudes, flirty pics, even just conversation have all been used in exchange for money. Phones and the internet have made this an even larger network of possibility.

All MOO, but based on empirical work I’ve done and read from others.

@yellowmoose
As the mother of a lesbian and a person who has worked with those battling addictions, I want to ask two questions.

What is the feeling toward gay relationships in your social group? And is there any possibility of drugs playing a role in her disappearance?

I mainly agree with you that it is a factor of consideration, just like in other missing persons cases their significant others are. I also agree that being in an exchange based relationship does flag some concern of risky behavior or activity based purely on self-control/impulsive behaviors scales. (I am a criminologist, with victimology and mental health focused expertise, for reference).

That said, terminology and phrase is still important. Yes, this may be a flag of some risky lifestyle behavior but so is drinking, using drugs, making impulsive shopping purchases. Things the vast majority of society does. I simply think referring to this individual as a romantic partner or significant other removes any shaming words from the conversation. Just because she was doing risky behavior is still not a reason for implying it is her fault in anyway. And there is some slightly more calculated risk involved in an ongoing sugar relationship than something as quickly decided on like speeding. It’s not likely a sugar relationship is even on the risky behavior level as a one night stand. It’s generally, more involved than that and has foundations like normal traditional relationships with exchange added in.

I agree we can all discuss and try to piece together what may have happened to ML and that includes talk of her known activities, I just want to be sure it’s in a tone that leaves out any blame or shame on her sexual decisions with her body and life.

:)

I think we can agree no one deserves to be murdered or hurt. At all.
Shaming isn't going to undo the situation. Personal knowledge is more powerful than shame or blame.

Speaking theoretically ; There are other aspects to this that don't fit the traditional sugar daddy hook up/meet up. There's usually some level of care that's exhibited by the sugar daddy... Perhaps that would extend to picking her up from the airport or organizing someone to pick her up. At least that's what I'd expect if I were doing it. There's elements of this that just don't fit it and fit other semi-related things... I'm sure we can imagine, but it will be interesting to see where her choices have steered her. Hopefully she will come out of this with more of that personal knowledge.

IMOO: Even if it comes out that a “sugar daddy” or older partner is linked in anyway to what happened to her, it is still not her fault or something she should be shamed for. Consensual sexual relationships, or nonsexual, exchange based relationships are absolutely not something anyone should be shamed about or brought up as their fault for something terrible potentially happening to them.

In this instance, my only reasoning it should even be mentioned is as a potential romantic interest like any other significant other would be mentioned in other cases. “*advertiser censored* shaming” for lack of a better term, is obnoxious, unhelpful, and damaging.

Yellowstone: please know not everyone feels that way and hopefully ML is safe and will come home and you can support her and let her know that her choice of relationship lifestyle is her own and those comments should be given no weight.

And we have been warned by admin to not discuss this topic. There is no proof of a connection at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member