CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
So French's parents are justified in being shot and killed merely because the "instigator" is their fully grown son?
I didn't say anything remotely like that.

I think it's time for us to agree to disagree. I respect your opinion but for some reason you have a hard time with me being on the fence.

It's time to move on.

Here is a quote from French family lawyer Dale Galipo.

Galipo said: 'Kenneth had been taken off his medication due to his health complications which may have affected his behavior.

'I haven't seen any video tape of the incident as of yet but I'm hearing the police officer fired his pistol as many as seven or eight times

So Galipo hasn't viewed any video of the shooting yet.

PICTURED: Cop who killed unarmed nonverbal man in Costco - and dead man's mom may not survive | Daily Mail Online

I don't think Daily Mail is known for its accuracy. By the way it sounds like the mother came out of her coma.

SBM

If you're talking about the direct quote made by Galipo that I posted above I have no reason to think the Daily Mail made it up.

If you're talking about something else let us know. Thanks.

SBM

If you're talking about the direct quote made by Galipo that I posted above I have no reason to think the Daily Mail made it up.

If you're talking about something else let us know. Thanks.
When exactly did they interview him? Could have been before he viewed the video. Doesn't seem to be the latest information in the article, considering the mother apparently came out of her coma.

When exactly did they interview him? Could have been before he viewed the video. Doesn't seem to be the latest information in the article, considering the mother apparently came out of her coma.
I don't know. It was published today. I guess they could have sat on it for awhile.

I can't read any of the LA Times links you provided because they are behind a paywall. What time did it come out that the mother is out of her coma? Maybe that happen after the Daily Mail article was published.

I don't think Daily Mail is known for its accuracy. By the way it sounds like the mother came out of her coma.

"The parents who were critically wounded when an LAPD officer opened fire at a Costcoearlier this month are beginning to recover and have been told that their son was killed in the shooting."
Costco shooting: Wounded parents learn their son is dead. ‘They are devastated’

I always thought with crime cases they were accurate and often are given info before others? In all the cases that I've followed, that I can remember (lol) they have been spot on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just reread your post. It doesn't make sense what that article said. It looks backwards. I don't think that's MSM.

LAist is part of Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) - not sure if that counts as MSM.

As for why it matters whether the officer stated that he was a cop or not - if he did, then LAPD / City of LA could have some liability for his actions. If he didn't, then LAPD / City of LA would not be. If there was ever a civil trial, this might be a major factor in terms of determining damages.

LAist is part of Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) - not sure if that counts as MSM.

As for why it matters whether the officer stated that he was a cop or not - if he did, then LAPD / City of LA could have some liability for his actions. If he didn't, then LAPD / City of LA would not be. If there was ever a civil trial, this might be a major factor in terms of determining damages.

Interesting. The longer LAPD keeps him on the payroll, the ticker will keep going that LAPD supported SS actions. If they have viewed the video, I wonder how long the investigation will be...

That's correct, but good luck to LAPD/City of LA with that defense-considering it would appear the case is treated as if the officer was on duty. As for civil trial, I am pretty sure there is going to be one. Family's lawyer is known for civil lawsuits in shootings involving officers.

"He said he thought the jury’s monetary award might be the largest in the country involving a police shooting, and certainly the largest he has received from a jury in the 15 years he has been trying excessive use of force and wrongful death cases involving police."
Jurors award $33.5 million to family of man fatally shot by sheriff’s deputy in Barstow – San Bernardino Sun

Last edited:
We all know, or at least most of us know, that were the shooter anyone other than a cop, off duty or not, he would have been charged and arrested. Since he's a cop, he gets a paid vacation while his buddies attempt to help him get away with his "mistake."

That is the problem. The FBI and Congress really needs to get involved in this situation, regarding off duty police officers and on duty police officers, because there is not a consistent policy that specifies how to proceed with the investigation.

1. Officers are not arrested.
2. There is often no toxicology test, even though a regular citizen in the same situation would be mandated to have a toxicology test.
3. Names are not released.

There is so much more...but Congress is afraid of agitating the police union.

That is the problem. The FBI and Congress really needs to get involved in this situation, regarding off duty police officers and on duty police officers, because there is not a consistent policy that specifies how to proceed with the investigation.
Would this be a federal thing, though? Can't (shouldn't) cities and/or states regulate this if they wanted to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23