Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I suppose it reflects lingering doubt on the first degree element, even though they were certain enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess they couldn't say his murder was first degree beyond all/any doubt. IMO.

Did you see his fake tears when LWOP was read? He thought he had a chance at that moment of a life in prison, until the DEATH verdicts came down, BOOM !

LWOP for Joey? LC & Cathy tweeting LWOP. Wrong.

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 4m4 minutes ago
BREAKING: #McStay Family Murders - The jury recommends a sentence of LIFE in prison without the possibility of parole. Charles Merritt was found guilty of murdering his business partner Joseph McStay, his wife Summer and their two children.

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 4m4 minutes ago
BREAKING: #McStay Family Murders - The jury recommends a sentence of LIFE in prison without the possibility of parole. Charles Merritt was found guilty of murdering his business partner Joseph McStay, his wife Summer and their two children.

That is just strange

Am I mistaken or doesn't the judge need to give the final order stating that he is sentenced to die by lethal injection? Is it possible the judge will toss out the DS verdict?

He will set an tentative date for execution at the sentencing in September.

Imo, no JS will not set aside the 3 death sentences. In fact if it had been up to him he would have gotten 4 death sentences. Imo.

Imo

But they found him guilty in the first degree. Isn't that premeditated.
You are absolutely right. I have no idea then. I know the jury had a hard task in front of them and it is always easy to say I would have or they should have, but that has to be a slap in the face for Joey's family.

Has anyone seen this happen before, the DP and LWOP? Am I the only one who didn't think this kind of a verdict was possible? I've never watched a multiple person homicide trial so this is new to me.

Yes sort of in the Scott Peterson trial. They found 1st degree on the murder of Laci, and 2nd degree on Connor.

They recommended death for murdering Laci.

I think they thought the first murder even if premeditated would only warrant LWOP standing alone.

But the other three lives he took deserved a death sentence.

Imo

Wow. They thought about it, they really thought about it. As a former San Bernardinian, I must say the confidence I felt in the jury here was not misplaced. First Guilty on all four counts, with the special circumstance. Now DP times 3 and one LWOP.

I don't believe the jury thought Joey's life was any less valuable than that of his wife and children. I think that they would have spared CM's life for the one atrocious, greed-filled act, but that the rest of the family with whom he did not have a business relationship were true innocents.

He has to be sent to Death Row now and even if it's overturned on appeals or by virtue of politics, he's not walking out of prison ever.

He will NEVER eat at McDonald's, go grocery shopping or doing daily mundane things EVER again. He will live on a concrete floor, surrounded by 3 brick walls and a cage. EXACTLY the punishment he deserves, IMO.
Limited visits from loved ones, no street clothes, no darkness or quiet when he tries to sleep...

But he'll have lots of time to hone his card playing skills.

Wow. They thought about it, they really thought about it. As a former San Bernardinian, I must say the confidence I felt in the jury here was not misplaced. First Guilty on all four counts, with the special circumstance. Now DP times 3 and one LWOP.

I don't believe the jury thought Joey's life was any less valuable than that of his wife and children. I think that they would have spared CM's life for the one atrocious, greed-filled act, but that the rest of the family with whom he did not have a business relationship were true innocents.

He has to be sent to Death Row now and even if it's overturned on appeals or by virtue of politics, he not walking out of prison ever.

Maybe their business partnership took some small part in the LWOP? I don't know, hopefully we will hear why they voted the way they did.

He will NEVER eat at McDonald's, go grocery shopping or doing daily mundane things EVER again. He will live on a concrete floor, surrounded by 3 brick walls and a cage. EXACTLY the punishment he deserves, IMO.

I still think that once he gets to his permanent home we should all send him gift certificates to Chick-fil-a. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304