Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure cell phone records will show information from apps. They need to not only check all dating apps (the ones I listed above) but also chat apps. Those that come to mind are Snapchat and then possibly KiK and WhatsApp. If there is foul play, its going to be happening on those servers and not through regular text. I feel strongly about this and hope they realize this.

I echo those sentiments and mentioned that regarding Snapchat.

I hope Kenzie was smart about things and left breadcrumbs or footprints, if you will.

MOO

Part of me thinks this 3am meeting wasn't for love/comfort/etc. but to discuss something. Maybe there was an issue between Kenzie and mystery person. He begs to meet her to talk things out or vice versa. Things went bad, now Kenzie is missing.

Hope they are able to get her phone records soon. The phone is key to this IMO.
3 am seems like a horrible time to meet up to do anything but maybe I’m just getting old!

I've been wondering about that too. She also spent a few days with family for a funeral and I imagine there wasn't much time or interest in studying for an exam during that time. Our VI tells us her coursework was difficult. For these reasons, yesterday I was thinking perhaps the stress was weighing heavy, she felt unprepared, and she just wanted to get away to re-group.

But, now knowing the location of the her Lyft destination, I don't think so. I think she met someone there for a date/hook-up and it went bad, with the exam details now inconsequential.

Perhaps the upcoming exam is a hint that the date was intended to be short. OR, the person she was meeting offered her a place to sleep for the night so at least she'd get some rest? IDK.

jmopinion
Oh, did she only miss one exam? For some reason I thought she missed all her finals.
Do we know for sure that it was on a Monday?

Hi guys, 27/m from Boston here following this case.

I checked out her Instagram and there was a post from a guy saying that he "remembered matching her" about a year ago and was hoping for the best.

To me, this says she is on dating apps like Tinder, Bumble, or one of the other less known ones like OkCupid, Hinge, POF, or Coffee Meets Bagel.

Almost every women I've ever dated has told me about a bad experience with meeting a guy on these apps. I would 100% say these should be the main focus on the investigation, not the Lyft driver or meeting someone on the airplane. The problem is if you "unmatch" someone, all conversation is lost and there is no trace or history to look back on, so LE would need to work with the company which it might be possible that they don't even have info anymore.

I can only imagine that at 3am in the morning after a long flight its easy to make a poor decision based on tiredness, desires, feelings, or what have you.

Just my 2 cents. Thoughts and prayers from Boston.
Hi! This is an excellent post!

I’m sure they do, but their hands have been tied thus far in regards to getting search warrants.

They likely know where to look, but simply cannot at this point.
Alot of that info can't be retrieved once it's been deleted, even less without actually having her phone, which is part of the appeal to many using those apps for communication.

Anything is possible.

The issue with the first theory is that you’d think she would have told someone if she was pregnant.

As for the other two, I felt that those were likely possibilities a couple days ago.

The longer this goes on, especially with this mystery person not coming forward, makes me feel like foul play is not only possible, but probable at this point.

I don’t believe she is staying away because she wants to stay away. I think she’s staying away because she has no choice in the matter.

Fortunately, I don’t think this is going to be an enduring mystery. Law enforcement has the tools to get to the bottom of this, and up until now they’ve been unable to utilize them (warrants).

I think that’s going to change, and change fast.

I don’t think she would have told anyone else she was pregnant prior to telling the presumed father. Or rather, if she didn’t, it wouldn’t be unusual. Maybe she wasn’t sure she wanted to keep it? Not sure.

I think you’re right on the second two ideas. I wish it was one of those two but sadly I don’t think it will be. But I wholly agree that now that she was reported missing and they have some investigative tools at their disposal, they will find her quickly.

Do we know why nobody reported her missing until Thursday? Her roommates didn’t think it was weird that she didn’t show up? None of her classmates were concerned when she didn’t make it for the tests? Does she have a history of crashing at a boyfriend’s house for a few days or anything?

My thoughts are going toward someone who had some type of control over her (abusive relationship or otherwise). Here is why I think that:

1. She had to be tired after just losing her grandma that she loved and attending the funeral. Her post speaks to loving her grandma and she cared enough to attend the funeral right before exams. It had to be emotionally draining due to her loss.

2. She took a very late flight and only had her luggage. For a funeral, she likely packed minimally. Her packed clothes would likely be dirty on the return flight (not ideal for a date type meeting).

3. The person had her take a Lyft ride to an isolated location (for that time of night) at an unreasonable hour (after all she had been through - funeral, late flight).

4. None of her friends knew who it was. Her friends obviously love her. If this was a special friend that she could not wait to see even though she was tired and it was late, chances are that her friends would have heard about the meeting and/or the person.

5. She had exams coming up and, with the death of her grandma, likely had not studied or prepared so she would need rest/time.

With the funeral, the dirty clothes, the late flight and the strange location, this meeting seems like someone required it rather than a voluntary date type meeting. I agree that she knew the person because she went at that hour but I just cannot see it as a truly voluntary meeting when all the circumstances are considered.

This is my opinion only but I wonder if there was someone controlling or threatening her that she had to appease by meeting them under those circumstances.

No matter what the situation, my prayers are with her dear family and friends. They just lost her grandmother and now she is missing. I cannot imagine their worry and grief. My heart goes out to them.

I am not a criminal attorney so please do not throw those questions my way.

The opposite could be she felt like his place was like home, or more home than her own house. She could plunk down, shower, do laundry, sleep.

Alot of that info can't be retrieved once it's been deleted, even less without actually having her phone, which is part of the appeal to many using those apps for communication.

That’s true with certain apps, but Tinder for example, is able to provide a great deal of information to law enforcement.

It’s all going to come down to how she communicated with this person.

I’m convinced this won’t be a dead end.

Did she smoke weed? I am frequent marijuana user and when I was in college, most of my dealers (all very nice people who I trusted) would deliver to my dorm or a local public place and I'd get into their car to buy. I wonder if she was buying weed or if someone offered to take her on a ride and smoke her up.
Our VI can answer more definitively but I've seen no indication that ML smokes marijuana or uses any kind of drugs. MOO

I don’t think she would have told anyone else she was pregnant prior to telling the presumed father. Or rather, if she didn’t, it wouldn’t be unusual. Maybe she wasn’t sure she wanted to keep it? Not sure.

I think you’re right on the second two ideas. I wish it was one of those two but sadly I don’t think it will be. But I wholly agree that now that she was reported missing and they have some investigative tools at their disposal, they will find her quickly.

Do we know why nobody reported her missing until Thursday? Her roommates didn’t think it was weird that she didn’t show up? None of her classmates were concerned when she didn’t make it for the tests? Does she have a history of crashing at a boyfriend’s house for a few days or anything?

The pregnancy angle is interesting. Hoping they check her debit/crefit card for purchases over the past several months.

I'm not sure cell phone records will show information from apps. They need to not only check all dating apps (the ones I listed above) but also chat apps. Those that come to mind are Snapchat and then possibly KiK and WhatsApp. If there is foul play, its going to be happening on those servers and not through regular text. I feel strongly about this and hope they realize this.

BBM (Bolded By Me):

Definitely a great point.

FWIW, I do think LE will be on it, especially since they specifically asked in the pc today that people let them know about any SM accounts, etc., that they were aware of ML having.

Once they get warrants secured, I'm certain LE will do a deep dive into all of her electronic activity, including apps, etc., not just the phone records.

JMO.

Do we know what time Lyft ride was requested or arranged? All I've seen was when she got in the Lyft. Would be useful imo to know where in the timeline the Lyft ride was setup.? Or am I wrong? I'm not familiar with the app. But was it before she texted her parents? Immediately after landing? Or a few minutes before the actual ride? Even before the flight?

A quick Google search says you can schedule a ride way in advance?

That’s true with certain apps, but Tinder for example, is able to provide a great deal of information to law enforcement.

It’s all going to come down to how she communicated with this person.

I’m convinced this won’t be a dead end.

Hello fellow New Englander!
I'm betting that since no one appears to have any idea who she was meeting and no one has come forward saying it was them, that communication was done via something untraceable, especially if the person she met up with had ill intentions.

The opposite could be she felt like his place was like home, or more home than her own house. She could plunk down, shower, do laundry, sleep.
@yellowmoose - did ML ever spend time away from her own residence in recent weeks/months, staying overnight elsewhere? It seems her roommates didn't immediately sound the alarm when she didn't arrive home so I'm assuming there were nights she wasn't there? Perhaps she spent nights with this person in the past?

jmo

BBM (Bolded By Me):

Definitely a great point.

FWIW, I do think LE will be on it, especially since they specifically asked in the pc today that people let them know about any SM accounts, etc., that they were aware of ML having.

Once they get warrants secured, I'm certain LE will do a deep dive into all of her electronic activity, including apps, etc., not just the phone records.

JMO.

Another option is the old “cell tower dump.”

They know this person picked her up from that particular location, and the timing of that is beneficial (3 am).

They can request information on all the phones that were in the area, at that specific time.

There’s a lot of variables with that, but it’s paid dividends before.

She may have been given a little grace time by the prof(s) since the passing and funeral of her grandmother.

They are usually forgiving to a degree in that regard. With that being said, her final may have been rescheduled at a later date which was missed nonetheless.

MOO
That makes sense. She had a good reason to need more time so I bet her professor would have allowed her to take it later.

According to SLCPD, ML arrived at the park, the Lyft driver saw her make contact with someone, and she was not in distress. We do not if the person she met at the park drop off was male or female OR the make and model of that person’s vehicle.

These are some ideas/possibilities for the TYPE of mystery person she could have met... all aligning with my theory (and many of yours as well) that she only arrived at the park willingly, but there is certainly reason to be concerned that she was (is) in danger after (since) her arrival.

Who could she have met at the park?

1. Ex-boyfriend who she still trusts, needed someone to talk to while grieving, he wanted more
2. Jealous (former or current) girlfriend/spouse of current/former interest - lured her to park somehow... been posing as her friend or said she wanted to talk?
3. Female friend with some jealousy issues that ML was unaware of
4. Male friend who wants more than friendship
5. A new “secret” relationship that she was embarrassed to tell friends about (male - could be married or living a lifestyle her family & friends wouldn’t approve of... OR female - could be romantic... or could be someone that she met thru one of her group chats that she built trust with, but they were really trying to lure her into something more sinister)
6. Someone (male or female) she had something urgent to discuss, give, get, etc. - given the late hour and upcoming midterms

What are your ideas? Who else could she have met?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth