NJ NJ - Margaret Fox, 14, Burlington, 24 June 1974

I am so sorry. I was in mid comment when my dog got ill and we have been at animal emergency most of the day. That is why I ended my above post so abruptly. What I was trying to say is that in general we were a much less worried society in the 1970s. No one talked "stranger danger" until much later, except to say not to take candy from strange people- without much of an explanation as to why( I thought it was because I was chubby.) Most of the public service announcements of the time had to do with not smoking, not polluting and Smokey the Bear telling us not to start forest fires.

Also remember that while people did go missing, LE at the time tended to think of almost all missing kids over the age of 10 as runaways and that there was at least a 24 hour turn around before police became involved in most cases. The thought was that most kids were either hiding in the house, sleeping at a friend's house or hiding somewhere until the next day, in a ploy to show their parents either their independence or as a sign of rebellion. Unless there was some tangible proof of violence, LE tended to lay low for a bit.

It was also the era before computers and LE from different jurisdictions did not communicate with each other. Several cases have been solved where the missing disappeared from one county, but their remains were found two counties over (for instance) and the different LE didn't have a way to communicate efficiently, thereby not having identification take almost 30 years (Stephanie Stempell in Florida comes to mind).

This is in NO WAY an indictment of LE- it just was what it was during the time period. Because of John Walsh's involvement after the tragic loss of his son, we now have NCMEC, police protocols in place, and much later Amber Alerts, Levi's Call, Mattie's Call, faces on milk cartons and the rest. Before that, sometimes newspapers would run stories, but not often and if these stories were run, follow ups almost never were, placing whether or not a missing person was found in doubt.

Article dated Aug. 12th, 2017
It's not much different than the article in post #82 but has one or two previously undisclosed facts about her disappearance.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n...-disappeared-is-she-still-alive-20170811.html

[FONT=&quot]In the hopes of solving Burlington County’s coldest missing-persons case, Dalesio is poring through two boxes of investigative files and is revealing intriguing details that previously were not disclosed. Among them is a confusing $10,000 ransom note sent to Fox’s parents that mysteriously mentioned the Symbionese Liberation Army. This was four months after Patty Hearst was abducted by the SLA.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then there were also Fox’s diaries, found in her bedroom, which included passages about being bullied in school, about snowballs being hurled at her, and about her wish to move to California or Florida to start a new life.[/FONT]

I think she's dead.

If young Margaret has departed this world, would it not be humane to find her remains, and return them to her living relatives?

At least one person knows what happened to this child. Others may have witnessed an abduction, without realizing what they were seeing.

From this July 11, 2017, article:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...rs-Willingboro-New-Jersey-Teen-433932123.html

Fox’s parents are both deceased though her siblings are still alive. D’Alesio is hoping he can bring closure to her family.

No, I want her remains found and I want her family to have peace. I also want the scum who did this to be put be behind bars, because I guarantee you, he has done this before.

Margaret Ellen Fox – The Charley Project

Margaret Ellen Fox
  • margaret_ellen_fox_1.jpg
  • margaret_ellen_fox_2.jpg
  • margaret_ellen_fox_3.jpg
Margaret, circa 1974; Age-progression to age 56 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since06/24/1974
  • Missing FromBurlington, New Jersey
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth02/04/1960 (59)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight5'2 - 5'3, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA light blue long-sleeved floral-patterned blouse which was squared at the top and flared at the waist, a black and white or blue and white checkered waist-length jacket, a size 34B brassiere, maroon flared jeans with a yellow patch on one knee, brown sandals with a heel strap, a gold necklace with flowers and a blue stone on it and a gold charm bracelet with a round blue stone. Carrying a brown bag and an eyeglass case with the Huckleberry Hound design.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Margaret has freckles. At the time of her disappearance, two of her top front right teeth were missing. She wears eyeglasses with hexagonal lenses, gold wire frames and broken-off temple and nose pieces.
Details of Disappearance
Margaret was last seen in Burlington, New Jersey on June 24, 1974. She was planning to go to High and west Broad Streets in Mount Holly, New Jersey to have an interview with a man who called himself John Marshall.

Margaret's younger sister accompanied her to the bus stop and saw her get on. Witnesses reported seeing her near Mill and High Streets after she got off the bus in Mount Holly, but she has never been heard from again.

Margaret had advertised for a baby-sitting job, and "Marshall" responded to the ad on June 19. He told her he needed a babysitter for the following weekend, but he postponed meeting her several times.

Finally he said he would meet her in a red Volkswagen. He gave Margaret a telephone number to reach him; the number was traced to a public phone booth at a supermarket in Lumberton, New Jersey.

Margaret has never been heard from again and "Marshall" has never been identified. Several other parents in the area complained that someone had attempted to lure their daughters with fake job offers. A suspect's 1976 confession to involvement in her disappearance was widely publicized, but turned out to be a hoax.

Margaret took piano lessons in 1974 and she liked to ride horses. She graduated from St. Paul's Grammar School in Burlington two weeks before she vanished. Her parents are now deceased, but her siblings are still alive, and some still live in the Burlington area. Her case remains unsolved.

I believe whoever did this did this before and is/was a serial killer. Does anybody knew of someone that fit this desciption in the new jersey area or with a simular M.O. I'm surprised no suspect has been named. Serial killers never stop, so I guess he's either decased or incarcerated at this point. He seem to be pretty organized and intelligent.

About 5 hours away and 10 years earlier in Manchester, New Hampshire Pamela Mason was murdered responding to ads she had placed around for her babysitting services. Though her supposed killer was arrested and released due to how LE obtained the evidence, he was released in 1981 I believe.

'"The FBI offered a $25,000 reward Monday and released new evidence in the 45-year-old cold case of a missing teen babysitter from Burlington City on the anniversary of her disappearance.The FBI made the announcement with Burlington City police in city council chambers. The agency released a never-before-heard audio file in its efforts to solve the case.

Margaret Ellen Fox disappeared on June 24, 1974, after she boarded a bus on her way to what she believed was a babysitting job in Mount Holly."

NJ cold case: FBI releases audio file in 14-year-old babysitter's 1974 disappearance

'"The FBI offered a $25,000 reward Monday and released new evidence in the 45-year-old cold case of a missing teen babysitter from Burlington City on the anniversary of her disappearance.The FBI made the announcement with Burlington City police in city council chambers. The agency released a never-before-heard audio file in its efforts to solve the case.

Margaret Ellen Fox disappeared on June 24, 1974, after she boarded a bus on her way to what she believed was a babysitting job in Mount Holly."

NJ cold case: FBI releases audio file in 14-year-old babysitter's 1974 disappearance
I hope that they receive useful tips/information from their efforts here. I’m sure we all share those same hopes. 45 years. Mind boggling.

I live in the town over from Burlington City and work in Mount Holly. This case hits close to home. Glad the audio has been released. I tried to determine if there was an accent there or not, but I couldn’t tell.. for some reason, just to me—MOO, it doesn’t sound like a typical south jersey accent of someone from Burlington County. But again it’s so short I could be completely wrong...

Reading an earlier post about the call being traced to a supermarket in Lumberton. Wonder if it was a supermarket on Route 38 at the time. Not sure when roads were completed but NJ Turnpike and I295 are extremely close to Lumberton. Exit 5 on the NJ Turnpike is right down the road from the Main Street in Mount Holly. The man could easily have hopped on and off (if that exit was open back then?). Makes me think he wasn’t local. Maybe came to the area for work. Or was just looking for an easy access point off the turnpike or interstate.

Included a map of the intersection of Mill and High St at the bottom, and around the turnpike entrance at the top.

Attachments

• A6DF317F-AB74-452B-AF0A-C07CB6EE9AE8.jpeg
    A6DF317F-AB74-452B-AF0A-C07CB6EE9AE8.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 8
Noticed a new detail...says John Marshall said his wife would be at the bus stop to pick her up and the wife would be driving a red Volkswagen. That’s the first time I’ve read his wife would be there.
Also, just want to add the voice on the recording totally sounds like NJ area accent

Sadly the caller may have just been someone that attached himself to this case and the recording holds no real relevance. Unfortunately this wouldn’t be the first time... But it’s great to see that after so many years LE are on it. These detectives are amazing to continue trying to bring peace to the family & justice for this sweet girl. I agree with an earlier post that this seems to be a family man that rescheduled a few times perhaps to have the house to hisself. Hope they find the animal that did this. MOO

Noticed a new detail...says John Marshall said his wife would be at the bus stop to pick her up and the wife would be driving a red Volkswagen. That’s the first time I’ve read his wife would be there.
Also, just want to add the voice on the recording totally sounds like NJ area accent

Maybe north Jersey accent? I’m not hearing western Burlington County in it :/ but totally could be just a random guy who thought it’d be funny to call up the poor family and mess with them.

This is also the first I’ve heard of a wife.

The accent does not sound local to me.......I want to know if it was made public yet that she is missing when this call happened.

Is it me? I can't find the audio...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd