NY NY - Saugerties, WhtMale 35-45, 405UMNY, PJs under suit, Omega Sea Master watch, ring, Feb'70

It was almost 20 years from when Maffetorre disappeared to when the body was found. That would make him roughly 57 years old at the time.

I found a photo of Maffetorre (on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pin/549017010796784862. Check the side by side.

Attachments

• anthony maffetorre and saugerties UID.png
    anthony maffetorre and saugerties UID.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 34
Age estimates are often off, but it's a big difference

On the other hand, everything else seems to fit. I dunno.
Yeah I don't know either especially because he looks like the sketch

its weird that there is no mention on hair color or eye color for the UID

this guy was 52

Original

John Chocha, Jr.
View on NamUs
Date last seen July 19, 1969
Age last seen 52 years old
Sex Male
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure

City last seen Harrisburg
County last seen Dauphin
State last seen Pennsylvania

Weight 145 to 173 lbs
Height 72 to 72 inches

Hair color Gray or Partially Gray

Left eye color Blue
Right eye color Blue

The Lost & The Found

this guy was 52
And also 9” taller!

I’m surprised no one mentioned that this was near the site of the Woodstock concert in August 1969. He does not look the type to have attended, though.

He had ties to Portugal and Brazil, two countries that speak Portuguese. Details of this case, especially the sketch, need to be publicized in both countries. Maybe someone would recognize him or remember someone who went missing around then.

Yeah I realized later on he was too tall but it was too late to edit john off the thread. Oh Woodstock wasn't that the summer of love concert? This guy was found in the snow. So I don't think he went to the concert.

Yes I agree magnum that is a great idea this guy should be publicized in those countries. Someone would prob recognize him! I wonder if they have missing sites?

its weird that there is no mention on hair color or eye color for the UID

Likely there was too much decomposition to determine eye color after several days. But his hair is brown, per Namus Unidentified Person Case:

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Wavy, bald spot on crown

"State Police in Kingston continue to investigate the 1970 murder of an unidentified male subject in Saugerties, NY....

Recently, a forensic sketch artist created an artistic rendering of the victim based on the crime scene and autopsy photos. The sketch is being disseminated in hopes of finally identifying the victim of this homicide.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Kingston at (845) 338-1702 or the Troop F Major Crimes Unit in Middletown at (845) 344-5300. Please refer to SJS# 3040770."

New York State Police Newsroom: Cold Case Tuesday: Troop F continues to investigate the 49-year-old homicide of an unidentified male subject in Ulster County.

• 1024x1024.png

• 920x920.jpg

Troopers trying to ID cold case homicide victim
June 26 2019
"He was found full-clothed, wearing a three-quarter-length reversible tan and brown raincoat, a green business suit, a white dress shirt, a black silk tie with a Playboy label, size 8.5 black leather shoes and medium black rubber overshoes.

He was also wearing pajamas underneath the business suit, an Omega gold wristwatch and an imitation ruby ring with a gold setting.

Although the man had been shot in the back of the head, his face was "fully intact" and "should be identifiable," the State Police said.

Troopers recently asked a forensic sketch artist to create a rendering of the victim using crime scene and autopsy photos. State Police investigators are asking people to share the drawing in the hopes that someone will recognize the man.

Anyone with information is asked to call State Police investigators in Kingston at 845-338-1702 or the Troop F Major Crimes Unit in Middletown at 845-344-5300. Please refer to SJS No. 3040770."

Leite did have a watch. It had a black or brown strap though. It looks to me as though the watch found with the UID had a metal strap.

I could be wrong. Also, memories fade after nearly fifty years.

On the other hand, most people wore watches then.

Leite is a Portuguese and Galician surname. Did he have the watch when he disappeared, or maybe had gotten it from a friend or relative?

Could he be the Gil mentioned in this obituary? LEITE, AGNES (DIAS)
I don't think it's the same Gil, he was just listed as missing from 1969. The obit reads Gil died in 2004. WOndering what he was doing for 2 years the case reads: Circumstances of DisappearanceGil Leite was reported missing by his wife on 12-15-1968. He was last seen in Hartford, CT on 12-11-1968 or 12-12-1968 (at a bar called "Barn") but it's possible he returned to Bloomfield after that. Leite has had no contact with family or any activity since the date he went missing.

I think it should be reported as a match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back