SC - Kayden John Stuber, 2, Dead after Finding Gun in Grandmother's Purse. Greenville. 20 June 2019

“We're probably one of the safest families around as far as weapons”

That’s the problem. Every gun owner I know claims to be the safest around, and yet these things continue to happen. This poor child paid the ultimate price due to the irresponsible gun owner’s outright negligence and as far as I am concerned, she should be charged with his death.

I'm willing to be that was not the first and only time she set her purse down with a loaded gun where anyone could reach it. I'm not anti gun rights. But I have a lot of children and always felt it was far safer to never have them in my house. My parents live across the street and my dad has guns. I figured that might be the closest I need to get to accessing one.

I agree that I would never allow guns in my home, as a parent and even now with our children grown and living elsewhere. My children also were not allowed to be have toy guns. I'm not anti NRA but I also had a child who had severe anger issues and was known to physically injure his sister and that was not a risk I was willing to take.

This is NRAmerica, so these kind of incidents are to be expected. Gun & 2nd Amendment lovers will take these deaths, as part of the cost to have a free society where a person can be free to carry a cute colored gun however they want. Oh gee, I forgot I left a loaded gun in my purse on the bed. That boy, always getting into stuff. They act like it’s a candy bar their kid got a hold of without permission. And so it goes. I don’t expect anything to change in my lifetime, and stories like this will continue unabated. Resistance is futile.
^^^^^
This!
Your post is absolutely spot-on, sadly.
Yeah, what a shame about the 2 yr. old, but.... OMG has it really gone this far? Yes, it has.

“We're probably one of the safest families around as far as weapons”

That’s the problem. Every gun owner I know claims to be the safest around, and yet these things continue to happen. This poor child paid the ultimate price due to the irresponsible gun owner’s outright negligence and as far as I am concerned, she should be charged with his death.
Good post!

Welcome to Websleuths,
sleepysleuth !!

I'm willing to be that was not the first and only time she set her purse down with a loaded gun where anyone could reach it. I'm not anti gun rights. But I have a lot of children and always felt it was far safer to never have them in my house. My parents live across the street and my dad has guns. I figured that might be the closest I need to get to accessing one.
I suspect you are correct. She is at a point where she didn't even think about the gun being in her purse and that its loaded and a round in the chamber and she just left it near a 2 year old while she went to the bathroom. Grandma should not be carrying a gun.

One would think that the grandmother would NEVER want to see a gun again in her lifetime. But just in case, perhaps she and Grandpa should have the right to possess a firearm taken away forever. If society ever wanted to send a message or do SOMETHING to prevent tragedies like this in the future, she would also be facing charges of some sort. But we all know that won't happen, and so this incident will just fade away, until the next "accident" happens somewhere else in the U.S.

One would think that the grandmother would NEVER want to see a gun again in her lifetime. But just in case, perhaps she and Grandpa should have the right to possess a firearm taken away forever. If society ever wanted to send a message or do SOMETHING to prevent tragedies like this in the future, she would also be facing charges of some sort. But we all know that won't happen, and so this incident will just fade away, until the next "accident" happens somewhere else in the U.S.

Another 'accident' - something has to change imo.

TX - Radyn Terrell, 3, Dead After Finding Gun on a Tall Dresser, 23 June 2019

The most difficult part to read imo is 'God works in mysterious ways ...' among other unrealistic views. It's the unrealistic views that form the core problem.
That's how the human psyche works. God gives life, therefore God is good. God takes life, therefore God is good. Obviously the kid shooting himself had nothing to do with their possession of a gun, and their carelessness in securing it, it had to do with God having a plan, and working in mysterious ways.

That's how the human psyche works. God gives life, therefore God is good. God takes life, therefore God is good. Obviously the kid shooting himself had nothing to do with their possession of a gun, and their carelessness in securing it, it had to do with God having a plan, and working in mysterious ways.

Fortunately, imo, my psyche doesn't work that way, however I suppose if I found myself responsible for a child or anyone else getting shot I'd look to God, Jesus and NRA members to forgive me.

bbm
Absolutely agreed. Of course grandma didn't mean to do it, and neither did the other parents or next-door neighbors who left a loaded pistol in the bedside table where their son and his friend were playing.
So, let's not make this worse by a manslaughter charge or similar offense.
But the 23 y/o caught with an ounce of pot will go to jail. Shame, shame on him.

bbm
Absolutely agreed. Of course grandma didn't mean to do it, and neither did the other parents or next-door neighbors who left a loaded pistol in the bedside table where their son and his friend were playing.
So, let's not make this worse by a manslaughter charge or similar offense.
But the 23 y/o caught with an ounce of pot will go to jail. Shame, shame on him.
Do you really think someone caught with an ounce of pot actually goes to jail? Now, I agree what this Grandmother did was incredibly stupid. Should she be criminally charged? With what? I'm in the air about that. Maybe she should be.

Do you really think someone caught with an ounce of pot actually goes to jail? Now, I agree what this Grandmother did was incredibly stupid. Should she be criminally charged? With what? I'm in the air about that. Maybe she should be.

Legal gun owners are law abiding ( until they are not). Those that do not turn into criminals probably do not want to become one.

If the penalty for something happening would be prison, they may not be so cavalier.

Most people think they are the exception otherwise kids would not be getting killed.

Put a few in prison and that may make it more real

If yo
Legal gun owners are law abiding ( until they are not). Those that do not turn into criminals probably do not want to become one.

If the penalty for something happening would be prison, they may not be so cavalier.

Most people think they are the exception otherwise kids would not be getting killed.

Put a few in prison and that may make it more real
I am gun ownwer, NRA member, and I agree that people need to be held accountable for poor choices with firearms.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back