GUILTY UK - Lucy McHugh, 13, murdered,, Southampton, 25 July 2018

Good morning. The trial is due to resume at Winchester Crown Court today after 10.30am. We'll be providing updates throughout the day.

10.26am
I'm afraid we've hit a bit of a stumbling block here - the defendant isn't in the dock
The jury are going to be brought back in shortly and I'll update when I know what's happening.

10.31am
Jurors are in the court. They've been told that the defendant is receiving medical treatment and it would be unfair to carry on without him.
They will be told by 1pm if the trial will resume this afternoon or not.

LIVE: Murder trial continues after the death of Southampton schoolgirl Lucy McHugh

12:18pm

Well, today must have been a bit frustrating for those of you who have been following this trial, but as Mrs Justice May said this morning, it's not fair to go ahead without the defendant. Here are some stories from our previous coverage of the trial:

LIVE: Murder trial continues after the death of Southampton schoolgirl Lucy McHugh

Well, it's listed for today

The Crown Court
at Winchester
Daily List for Tuesday 25 June 2019 at THE LAW COURTS,WINCHESTER

Court 2
- sitting at 10:30 am

THE HONOURABLE MRS JUSTICE MAY DBE

Trial (Part Heard)

T20187146

Order made under s45, YJCEA 1999

Mmmh. I'm trying to think of a condition/illness serious enough to keep him away from his trial for two days yet not forseeably so otherwise they wouldn't have asked everyone to come back in today. They thought he might be better today but he is not. He is young and unlikely to have any major illness, especially so sudden and up to now undetected. Maybe they got him on some meds yesterday but they're not working as expected. Just speculating here. Maybe the stress got to him. I developed tachycardia last year when I found myself in a highly stressful situation. Anxiety can have a debilitating effect on the body. Maybe something like that. We might not find out.

Usual listing showing for 10.30am tomorrow, so must be expecting to proceed.

Not sure how many days they would accept a delay, before taking a decision re whether or not to carry on without him.

Is that an option? Carrying on without him? I was wondering this earlier what they would do, especially if it was mental health related.

Is that an option? Carrying on without him? I was wondering this earlier what they would do, especially if it was mental health related.

Few years back now - Stephen Beadman, convicted of killing Kayleigh Haywood. He refused to attend the trial, no illness, just refused. They carried on without him and he only had to turn up for the verdict.
But, in this case, he was not ill and it was his choice, so I suppose slightly different circumstance.

Bill Billingham ( murdered Mylee Billingham ) - he had 3 days absence from his trial, due to * illness *
( attempted suicide ) and trial was adjourned during this time.

11:00am

The jury has been read a number of statements so far, one from the dog walker who found Lucy McHugh’s body in woodland at Southampton Sports Centre last July.

There have also been statements from Hampshire police’s crime scene investigators, who were called to the woodland on the morning of July 26, 2018.

LIVE: Stephen Nicholson in court as Lucy McHugh murder trial resumes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back