Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant was I wish he would have given more detail as for why he was told to leave.

Yes. I understand. I was just trying to offer some reason as to why he might not have done that. :)
My apologies if that didn't come across in that way. I was pretty tired when I wrote my post.

Another reason is maybe he has been asked by the police not to mention that - as it may involve another person(s) who is currently being looked at by the police for involvement in Theo's disappearance.

Sounds as if the media (AAP) are wondering why, as well. And have approached the manager for comment.

Last edited:
Agree.

The intensity of the search for the phone throws me - maybe the whatsapp data provided didn’t reveal the identity of the person he was texting. Otherwise why do they need it so badly?

It’s not like the perp would have text “I’m going to pick you up and get rid of you..” so the relevance of what’s in the messsges seems strange.

JMO.

IMO The messages being encrypted in the first place gives weight to speculation that they are part of some kind of nefarious action by Theo, such as the seeking out of illegal drugs for purchase, as whatsapp is notoriously known to be commonly employed by drug dealers as a security measure specifically for this purpose (hence whatsapp admins reluctance to release the unencrypted messages).

If that were the case, and Theo did in fact meet up with and purchase drugs on the night of his disappearance, then it is completely within the realm of speculation that at that late an hour of the night he may have necessarily been at the dealer's house when he took those drugs and, being already heavily inebriated on alcohol, he may have suffered some kid of bad reaction from them leading to his sudden and unexpected death.

If this were the case, then the dealer may have then hidden chosen to secretly hide Theo's body rather than suffer the repercussions of reporting a drug death in their own home premises to the authorities who, by the very nature of any drug dealer's profession, they most likely do not want combing through their home.

It was Friday night. The CBD was still buzzing with people and fun. He might be heading home to the hostel, but by the time he approached, he might find the whole street dark and quiet. His mates were still at Cheeky Monkeys. Anyone still there might have plans early the next day, and were ready for bed. What would he do? He did not enter his room, that's for sure.

In less than a hour, he was somewhere relaxed enough to be messaging someone in Belgium. Did he not have someone local to talk to? Was anyone around him by now, or was he still alone? In someone's room, sitting on the beach, in someone's car?

When his hostel mates returned later that night, they did not run into him.

He was not spotted again by cctv back towards town after disappearing at 11ish, unless the police is not telling.

His phone however kept pinging around Byron, until stopping somewhere near Cape Byron and the lighthouse, more than 12 hours later.

Now the police is suspending this search. No sign of phone, no sign of him, no sign of foul play.

I was thinking he went up there to wait for sunrise, but now I agree and tend to think it pretty silly to walk up there early and wait for a few hours. Not to mention the path must be really dark and lonely at that time. Unless he has company. Going there in a car.... Seems more plausible.

But someone who knows him well have to answer that question. Everyone is different and spends their time in different ways.
IMO It could have been that Theo (who was so drunk that he was asked to leave a pub) may have then, when walking back to the backpackers', been struck by a passing car and killed. Possibly, with no witnesses to the accident, the driver and/or passengers of that car could have taken Theo's body, (because they didn't want to to end up in prison for killing a pedestrian), and hidden it somewhere.

If this were the case, then all CCTV footage of the vehicles coming and going from the vicinity of Theo's last suspected route toward the backpacker's on that night would need to be reviewed, all the identified vehicles sought out and examined and all of their drivers questioned.

Yes agree Whatsapp is the go to tool for lots of other reasons but appears extremely relative to his disappearance. His use of it and perhaps connection to his last whereabouts seems to be a key, however the person(s), family or friends or befriended travellers, the recipients of messages, have not come willingly forward to identify themselves is of interest. The fact he used messenger to text a Belgium friend at 12.20 am from an undisclosed position in a happy frame of mind and the whatsapp connection and timeline not being disclosed is something the authorities have chosen to keep secreted fuels the speculation made.
I’m not saying it’s always used for drug interaction or this be the case, but it would definately be a consideration in light of the backpacker lifestyle synonymous with this area.
One might say that given the specific ability to encrypt messages on whatsapp (as opposed to other messenger services which do not offer this feature) then its presence brings into play the consideration that drugs most likely could have been a contributing factor in this situation.

Belgian police are expected to travel to Byron Bay to join in the search of missing backpacker Theo Hayez.

The 18-year-old was last seen leaving the town's Cheeky Monkey's bar at about 11pm on May 31.

His phone gave off its final signal a few hours later near the Cape Byron Lighthouse.

Belgian police will travel to Byron Bay to search for missing teenage backpacker Theo Hayez | Daily Mail Online

Wow. That is very interesting!! Perhaps unprecedented also?

One might say that given the specific ability to encrypt messages on whatsapp (as opposed to other messenger services which do not offer this feature) then its presence brings into play the consideration that drugs most likely could have been a contributing factor in this situation.

Perhaps, but there has been no indication of that so far.

Someone here mentioned that the use of WhatsApp for regular messaging is very common overseas. And at least one of our members on this thread also uses it.

Call for CCTV footage to help find missing backpacker Theo Hayez – Echonetdaily

The team of volunteers searching for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez have made an impassioned plea to local residents and business owners to provide CCTV footage from the period of the 18-year-old’s disappearance.

In a letter circulated throughout the Byron Bay CBD today, the volunteer searchers call for locals’ support in providing any footage from cameras placed on their properties.

The new missing person poster appealing for information about Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez. Supplied

‘Any footage dated from the 31st of May – 1st of June is needed urgently, regardless of how relevant you may believe it is,’ the letter states.

‘We understand that three weeks have passed, but request that you also check any backup sources of your surveillance system.

You can’t post information about a case that you heard from someone either @brett1968 it is to stop people posting false or misleading information. I’m not suggesting that is what you are doing. Any information posted about a case must be backed up by a mainstream media source. We are allowed to post about information official case Facebook pages (not public comments though) or official law enforcement social media.

You are free to discuss the information you posted with anyone here in a private conversation just not on the public forum. I apologise but I’m just letting you know the rules that we all need to comply with as members.

My first thought upon hearing of Theo's disappearance was that like a lot of backpackers, he had fallen in love with Australia and didn't want to leave.

But I doubt he would want to hurt his parents. If he could he would come forward.

Perhaps, but there has been no indication of that so far.

Someone here mentioned that the use of WhatsApp for regular messaging is very common overseas. And at least one of our members on this thread also uses it.
My husband and all his family use it to have big group chats to be able to communicate since they are in several different countries

IMO The messages being encrypted in the first place gives weight to speculation that they are part of some kind of nefarious action by Theo, such as the seeking out of illegal drugs for purchase, as whatsapp is notoriously known to be commonly employed by drug dealers as a security measure specifically for this purpose (hence whatsapp admins reluctance to release the unencrypted messages).

If that were the case, and Theo did in fact meet up with and purchase drugs on the night of his disappearance, then it is completely within the realm of speculation that at that late an hour of the night he may have necessarily been at the dealer's house when he took those drugs and, being already heavily inebriated on alcohol, he may have suffered some kid of bad reaction from them leading to his sudden and unexpected death.

If this were the case, then the dealer may have then hidden chosen to secretly hide Theo's body rather than suffer the repercussions of reporting a drug death in their own home premises to the authorities who, by the very nature of any drug dealer's profession, they most likely do not want combing through their home.

We use WhatsApp regularly to communicate with our children who live overseas. It is quite a commonly used App especially when travelling.

Good points.

As others have stated my family use whatsapp as a way of communicating between parents, siblings and grandparents in one place. All live in Australia but not all have messenger or iPhones. It’s the easiest way for us to chat and send photos etc.

I would imagine if I was to ever use whatsapp (or any written method) to purchase drugs I would be deleting each message as I sent / received them to ensure no trail at all.

JMO

I just wonder how quickly Google will help and if they will require a court order to do so? I totally understand how important it is for companies like Google and Apple to keep users data private but I would want them to provide information if I went missing or my photos if I had died.

Could be a new option for social media and Google.... have a option to click to say that youagree in the event of you being missing, death or a criminal investigation in regards to your where abouts that you give consent. Would save all the run around. Be great idea

IMO It could have been that Theo (who was so drunk that he was asked to leave a pub) may have then, when walking back to the backpackers', been struck by a passing car and killed. Possibly, with no witnesses to the accident, the driver and/or passengers of that car could have taken Theo's body, (because they didn't want to to end up in prison for killing a pedestrian), and hidden it somewhere.

If this were the case, then all CCTV footage of the vehicles coming and going from the vicinity of Theo's last suspected route toward the backpacker's on that night would need to be reviewed, all the identified vehicles sought out and examined and all of their drivers questioned.

I never even thought of this possibility. Good point.

Could be a new option for social media and Google.... have a option to click to say that youagree in the event of you being missing, death or a criminal investigation in regards to your where abouts that you give consent. Would save all the run around. Be great idea

I’ve thought this would be a good idea in the past as well. It is definitely something that should be looked into.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I think if Theo could have let his family know that he was ok he would have done it by now,I really hope to be proven wrong though.

I agree with you it appears Theo’s parents love him very much and they were in close contact with him and he had booked his flights home. I don’t think he would cause them this much distress intentionally. It would be very difficult to start a new life on your own in Australia without significant funds and your passport and belongings. My fear is Theo is in the ocean somehow and/or that he will never be found and that his parents will never know what happened to him.

A little more on the Belgian police who are coming .....

The three-person team, made up of two agents from a tactical search unit and one agent from the Missing Persons Cell, will be dispatched into Australian territory to help in the capacity of “observers,” Sarah Frederickx, spokesperson for the Federal Police confirmed Wednesday.

“The date of their departure is not yet fixed. They [could] leave tomorrow or at the start of next week,” the spokesperson said, adding that the length of their mission has, for the time being, been set to around ten days, according to Belgian media.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgi...on-bay-australia-assist-in-search-backpacker/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson