Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgian police are expected to travel to Byron Bay to join in the search of missing backpacker Theo Hayez.

The 18-year-old was last seen leaving the town's Cheeky Monkey's bar at about 11pm on May 31.

His phone gave off its final signal a few hours later near the Cape Byron Lighthouse.

Belgian police will travel to Byron Bay to search for missing teenage backpacker Theo Hayez | Daily Mail Online

I noticed in your linked article that there are vacant properties that have not yet been searched. I wonder if any of these properties are on the route from Cheeky Monkey's to Theo's hostel, with the possibility that Theo may have been a victim of violence, left at a vacant property - with perhaps his money and phone taken, and his phone dumped elsewhere.

Local Christos Tsesmetzis, who has been assisting with the search since day one, said they are hoping to get in touch with absent home owners whose properties are vacant in the region.

They want to search backyards and gardens for anything that may be useful in the search, including the hat he was wearing or his mobile phone.

Belgian police will travel to Byron Bay to search for missing teenage backpacker Theo Hayez | Daily Mail Online

Could be a new option for social media and Google.... have a option to click to say that youagree in the event of you being missing, death or a criminal investigation in regards to your where abouts that you give consent. Would save all the run around. Be great idea
I 100% agree and have been thinking about this more with each case I follow. I wish there was something we could sign to the gov’t or the SM companies that could wave any issues with them needing warrants for my info. Maybe something that could be revoked at any time if people did want to go missing and not be tracked, but I don’t plan on being missing, so if I am, I want any info that could help find me available ASAP.

Do you think it could it have helped in Theo’s case?

I 100% agree and have been thinking about this more with each case I follow. I wish there was something we could sign to the gov’t or the SM companies that could wave any issues with them needing warrants for my info. Maybe something that could be revoked at any time if people did want to go missing and not be tracked, but I don’t plan on being missing, so if I am, I want any info that could help find me available ASAP.

There is an option to allow FB to close/change a person's FB page if the person notifies FB (through their own FB account) of the person who is authorised to do that.

I can't see why this type of option should not be enabled by all communications companies - so we can pre-authorise an emergency contact/permission person to allow the divulging of our info to the police, if we are not able to do so.

We make wills and put executors in charge of them, we put emergency contact details on our international travel documents, we sign powers of attorney to trusted persons ...... emergency contact authorisations/permissions should be allowed (and perhaps even be a recommended option) for our communications as well, in this digital day and age.

I think it is just a matter of the companies actually thinking this is a good idea, and implementing it - with everyone's knowledge that this is the way it can be.

A little more on the Belgian police who are coming .....

The three-person team, made up of two agents from a tactical search unit and one agent from the Missing Persons Cell, will be dispatched into Australian territory to help in the capacity of “observers,” Sarah Frederickx, spokesperson for the Federal Police confirmed Wednesday.

“The date of their departure is not yet fixed. They [could] leave tomorrow or at the start of next week,” the spokesperson said, adding that the length of their mission has, for the time being, been set to around ten days, according to Belgian media.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgi...on-bay-australia-assist-in-search-backpacker/

Is this something that often occurs when a missing person who is a foreigner for the police for that country (IE Belgium) to travel to Australia to join in the search / investigate? I ask as I have not heard of this before for a missing person who "may" have just got lost in the bush or had an accident in comparison to they have information / evidence / of foul play or that a crime has been committed and they are here to assist Australian policy with that evidence / crime / investigation. I cant say I have seen foreign police turn up to assist in Australia when other backpackers or foreigners have been reported missing which leads me to assume there is much more going on here? all my honest questions with no disrespect to Theos family, just never seen this before?

Without knowing what his messages said who knows, speeding up any process and process elimination... TOTALLY. They are searching for messages on his phone which I assume have some possibility of informing them what he did who he met or maybe even an SOS who knows. If police believe there is valid clues on his phone then yes this would have helped i believe to at least eliminate whats on it and spend time on other areas of the search if it proved useless information.

“The girlfriend of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has begged for people to keep looking for the 18-year-old, who disappeared in Byron Bay more than a month ago.

Severine Marcotty shared an emotional plea to friends on Facebook earlier this month, posting an image of Theo's missing poster and the words 'need your help... please share'.

Just months earlier, she had shared a smiling photograph of the couple, captioning it: 'Every day where we are together is the most beautiful day of my life'.”

Theo Hayez girlfriend shares emotional post urging for people to keep looking for Belgian backpacker | Daily Mail Online

Is this something that often occurs when a missing person who is a foreigner for the police for that country (IE Belgium) to travel to Australia to join in the search / investigate? I ask as I have not heard of this before for a missing person who "may" have just got lost in the bush or had an accident in comparison to they have information / evidence / of foul play or that a crime has been committed and they are here to assist Australian policy with that evidence / crime / investigation. I cant say I have seen foreign police turn up to assist in Australia when other backpackers or foreigners have been reported missing which leads me to assume there is much more going on here? all my honest questions with no disrespect to Theos family, just never seen this before?

I haven't heard of this happening before. I had wondered if it happened in the Peter Falconio disappearance, because I had a feeling that it did, but when I search for 'British police Peter Falconio' on Google I cannot find any info that states this happened in that case.

“The girlfriend of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has begged for people to keep looking for the 18-year-old, who disappeared in Byron Bay more than a month ago.

Severine Marcotty shared an emotional plea to friends on Facebook earlier this month, posting an image of Theo's missing poster and the words 'need your help... please share'.

Just months earlier, she had shared a smiling photograph of the couple, captioning it: 'Every day where we are together is the most beautiful day of my life'.”

Theo Hayez girlfriend shares emotional post urging for people to keep looking for Belgian backpacker | Daily Mail Online

I notice that the last couple of lines of your linked article says ....

"Police suspended the three week search for the teenager over the weekend after confessing they were baffled by the case and had struggled to find any new evidence that could shed light on his disappearance.

But NSW Police told Daily Mail Australia on Thursday the search had resumed."

Posted on the Looking for Theo Facebook page. Some good info here with link to Crimestoppers

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Have Google Accounts/Google Maps/Facebook/Snapchat/Messaging Apps/Camera/Apps been checked?

Yes, different accounts and apps have been thoroughly looked into. The police and family have this information.

Is there a map of all the places that have been searched?

This is currently being worked on, however by searching the groups there are many posts from volunteers that outline areas that have been searched. If you have searched any areas, please contact Alizée Vdv with where you searched.

Have metal detectors/drones/helicopters/thermal imaging drones/boats/police divers/sniffer dogs etc. been used in the search?

Yes, both volunteers and the police have used various methods including all of the above during the search.

Have the beaches/creeks/rivers etc been searched/is it possible he went for a swim?

The beaches/creeks/etc have been searched by volunteers, police, surf life savers, SES, metal detectors etc. No items of clothing or other accessories have been found.

Have the Taxi companies/Uber been investigated?

Yes, Theo's Uber account was looked into and Taxi services have been contacted.

Have the hospitals/emergency rooms in Byron Bay and surrounding areas been contacted?

Yes, in the first few days after the family were alerted to Theo being missing they contacted every hospital they could think of.

Is there an advertisement campaign/sponsored posts?

Yes, there has been a separate page created by a volunteer for the purpose of advertising on Facebook.

I saw a post that Theo was seen in (insert city here), is this true?

This page will confirm when Theo is found. Please be mindful that there are many sightings and each one that is reported will be looked into.

Have psychics/mediums been brought in?

Yes, there has been some involvement and any information has been reported.

Has the man with him in the bottleshop/people at the backpackers/the Cheeky Monkey etc been interviewed?

Yes, the man with Theo at the bottleshop has been cleared and assisted with the search. The police have information of/have spoken with any relevant people (including the security guards).

How can I join the search/where can I find information about upcoming searches?

When a post detailing the latest search/community activity is available, it will be posted in the Announcements tab, or available as an event under the 'events' tab.

I would like to help put posters up, where can I find the poster and which places have been contacted already?

The poster can be found under the 'files' tab or by searching 'poster' within the group. There is a spread sheet which is linked in the 'Group Information' that was put together to assist in marking off different backpackers that have been contacted all over Australia. There is also a template that can be used to assist in emailing places, which can also be found under 'files'.

Has the poster been shared on different Facebook groups/Instagram?

Yes, it has been shared to many groups across Australia, and it doesn't hurt to share among more. Instagram posts have been created as well as the hashtags #findtheohayez and #theohayez and shared by influencers with large amounts of followers.

Has CCTV/Dash cam footage been looked into?

Yes, many local places/private properties have been asked for CCTV footage. There is a vast amount of CCTV being reviewed. The police have requested that anyone with dashcam footage from the late hours of the 31st of May to the early hours of the 1st of June forward the footage on to the police.

Has his cards been used/did he use card or cash/did he withdraw a large amount?

His bank accounts and cards have not been used since leaving the Cheeky Monkey the night of May 31st. He wasn't carrying cash with him as far as we know (reported by a friend) and he did not withdraw any large sums leading up to the 31st.

How do we know he didn't return to the Wake Up! Backpackers?

There is no evidence to suggest he returned to the backpackers that night. He did not use his swipe key, CCTV has been checked and others staying at the backpackers have been spoken to.

Is it possible he does not want to be found/is trying to overstay his Visa?

Theo had only been travelling Australia for 8 months, so he was not at risk of his Visa running out. He was excited to go back home and had his bus journeys to Sydney/Melbourne booked coordinated with his flights back to Belgium, about a week after he was last seen. All of his personal belongings including his passport were left at his room at the Wake Up! Backpackers.

What are the most recent updates/facts?
Theo was seen at the Northern Bottle shop at 7.45pm on the 31st of May.

He was last seen leaving the Cheeky Money at 11pm when he was asked to leave due to being intoxicated. He cooperated fully and was not aggressive. Others who attended the club that night describe him as not being overly drunk, was friendly and having a nice time.

Theo sent a message to a friend at 12.20am on the 1st of June.

Theo’s phone pinged a tower that encompasses the area from Clarkes Beach to the Lighthouse before 2pm on June 1. Police and search groups are searching for Theo’s phone. Other areas besides this have also been extensively searched.

He was wearing:
A black hoodie

Tan pants

A grey hat with a white puma logo

A black watch

Completely black shoes

For pictures of these, please see the High Resolution poster and other associated images under the 'files' tab.

If you believe you have information you can report to the following:

Byron Bay Police: +61 2 6685 9499
Crime Stoppers (Anonymous) 1800 333 000 or complete an anonymous report online at Crime Stoppers Australia under 'New South Wales'

Belgian police email: opsporingen@police.belgium.eu

Theo Hayez's friends, helpless in the face of his disappearance: "We can not do anything here in Belgium"

“It's frustrating because we can not help Belgium, we can not do anything," shares Kevin Szczepanski, a childhood friend of the young Belgian tourist. He still hopes for a sign from him and, above all, to find him "safe and sound".

Like his two friends, Yannis and Amaury, Kevin is convinced that Theo was not drunk the night of his disappearance. "At the parties we had together, Theo did not drink much. He controlled himself, "says his friend, describing the young man as a" smiling "person with" his head on his shoulders. "

https://www.lesoir.be/233413/articl...s-face-sa-disparition-ne-peut-rien-faire-dici

Theo Hayez's friends, helpless in the face of his disappearance: "We can not do anything here in Belgium"

“It's frustrating because we can not help Belgium, we can not do anything," shares Kevin Szczepanski, a childhood friend of the young Belgian tourist. He still hopes for a sign from him and, above all, to find him "safe and sound".

Like his two friends, Yannis and Amaury, Kevin is convinced that Theo was not drunk the night of his disappearance. "At the parties we had together, Theo did not drink much. He controlled himself, "says his friend, describing the young man as a" smiling "person with" his head on his shoulders. "

https://www.lesoir.be/233413/articl...s-face-sa-disparition-ne-peut-rien-faire-dici

Have to wonder if he was slipped drugs. Not sure it is a common thing to do to a male as in date r... drugs. Just a thought. I would assume though he would have trouble walking or going the distance under the influence of that. It is interesting that the club says he was intoxicated however those around him that night say that he was not. Does CM club have internal CCTV inside the venue itself (Not the front desk or outside) but where the patrons are at the bar / dance floor etc?. On another subject, I asked someone within the criminal investigations department is it usual practice for foreign police to come to Australia over a missing persons case from a different country. They said no, it is unusual for this to occur but some reasons for this to happen could be to do with things such as drug trafficking or a criminal link between the person missing and the country that person is from. In other words the investigation is needed for both countries to work together as both offenses involve and took place in each of the two countries if makes sense. PLEASE NOTE this was a hypothetical question and not a question or reason relating to missing person Theo Hayze and this response is not insinuating or confirming in any way whatsoever that Theo committed a crime or was a part of a crime, it was a hypothetical question on any situation outside of Theos disappearance and not involving Theo. - Sorry I just needed to stress that point strongly.

Have to wonder if he was slipped drugs. Not sure it is a common thing to do to a male as in date r... drugs. Just a thought. I would assume though he would have trouble walking or going the distance under the influence of that. It is interesting that the club says he was intoxicated however those around him that night say that he was not. Does CM club have internal CCTV inside the venue itself (Not the front desk or outside) but where the patrons are at the bar / dance floor etc?. On another subject, I asked someone within the criminal investigations department is it usual practice for foreign police to come to Australia over a missing persons case from a different country. They said no, it is unusual for this to occur but some reasons for this to happen could be to do with things such as drug trafficking or a criminal link between the person missing and the country that person is from. In other words the investigation is needed for both countries to work together as both offenses involve and took place in each of the two countries if makes sense. PLEASE NOTE this was a hypothetical question and not a question or reason relating to missing person Theo Hayze and this response is not insinuating or confirming in any way whatsoever that Theo committed a crime or was a part of a crime, it was a hypothetical question on any situation outside of Theos disappearance and not involving Theo. - Sorry I just needed to stress that point strongly.
How about another hypothetical scenario - in that there is/are Belgian nationals who are suspects? That would have to involve Belgian police to assist with.

Not saying I have any theory about such suspect (s). Just trying to the interpret the info that you have got. Do you mean your source is in "law enforcement"?

How about another hypothetical scenario - in that there is/are Belgian nationals who are suspects? That would have to involve Belgian police to assist with.

Not saying I have any theory about such suspect (s). Just trying to the interpret the info that you have got. Do you mean your source is in "law enforcement"?

That's a really good hypothetical scenario. There is something that is allowing the Belgian police to come here and join in the search.

I have read in some MSM that they are going to 'observe' the search.
I wonder if the Belgian police would recognise a person involved in the search or staying in the area, if that person was wanted/suspected by them on other similar matters - whereas our police might not recognise that person.

"Homicide detectives are helping the investigation along with Belgian authorities but police hold hope he is still alive."
New development in the case of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez as police investigate a BUSH CAMP found in the Byron Bay hills

Last edited:
Marking my spot.

It sounds as if Theo was an experienced traveler and didn't indulge to the point of carelessness.
Which makes it scarier as he could've been stalked by someone.
He's a nice-looking young man. :(
My thoughts are with his family.

That's an interesting angle!

Enforcement no, crimminal investigation side. As i mentioned nothing to do with Theo just a general Hypo from them in chatting, as to why police from a different country may become involved and come to Australia. I asked them the question more as I was wondering what made this so different to other missing persons cases involving an international person. That was just their example response. When you look at even Ivan Milat and the backpackers who were sadly murdered on Australian soil, i dont beleive was any police / law enforcement from those countries here (could be wrong) but that also was a very long time ago as an example. I could be wrong re Milat victims? My point is and no disrepsect to Theo and his family, what has triggered Belgium police to come to Australia, what makes this missing persons case so different? I dont know of any other case where the police have come to Australia when a foreigner is missing.

Marking my spot.

It sounds as if Theo was an experienced traveler and didn't indulge to the point of carelessness.
Which makes it scarier as he could've been stalked by someone.
He's a nice-looking young man. :(
My thoughts are with his family.

Everytime i see his smiling face and his eyes I feel so sad, such a lovely looking happy bloke at the start of his life. So incredibly sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong