Coleman asks for new trial...Will it ever end?

In what may finally bring the murder conviction of Chris Coleman to a close, Monroe County State’s Attorney Chris Hitzemann filed a motion last week to dismiss a post conviction petition filed in April on Coleman’s behalf.

Coleman, who was convicted in 2011 for the May 5, 2009 murders of his wife, Sheri, and two young sons, Garret, 11, and Gavin, 9, is serving concurrent life terms. Earlier this year, he filed a petition for post conviction relief which, if granted, would afford him a new trial in the same Monroe County court that convicted him.

Coleman stated in his petition that he is due a new trial based on ineffective counsel, denial of due process and a claim of “actual innocence.”
Motion to dismiss Coleman petition - Republic-Times | News

Hitzemann and Appellate Prosecutor Charles R. Zalar responded with a motion to dismiss that addresses each of those claims.

Coleman’s motion for a new trial and his appeal, which differs from a petition for post conviction relief, were already denied. An appeal is limited to considering information from the original trial. A petition for post conviction relief addresses violations of a defendant’s constitutional rights.

The appellate court in its decision found that “circumstantial evidence of guilt was overwhelming. The court additionally found that when all the contentions of errors were considered, the defendant nonetheless received a fundamentally fair trial,” according to Hitzemann’s motion to dismiss.

To read the entire Motion to Dismiss, click here.

There was a documentary on this case (Dateline?); and my opinion was that he did receive a fair trial and the jury was a competent one.
All of the evidence led back to him.
His lies -- about when he met and dated the mistress (photo evidence), and other actions that he took --became his own undoing.
There was more evidence that wasn't covered in the doc.
One of the more chilling cases , ever.

Judge grants convicted Monroe County murderer Chris Coleman evidentiary hearing

Judge grants convicted Monroe County murderer Chris Coleman evidentiary hearing

Circuit Court Judge Stephen McGlynn ruled Wednesday that Coleman will receive an evidentiary hearing, one of the first steps in a post conviction petition process, the Republic-Times reported. Coleman, from Columbia, is serving concurrent life sentences in the Wisconsin Department of Corrections for the 2009 murders of his wife, Sheri, and two sons, Garret, 11, and Gavin, 9.

After the hearing, Coleman was taken back to prison. The judge said he will have to decide if the metadata got onto the back of those nude photos by accident or if it was a nefarious deed. It was nefarious, there’s a chance Coleman could get his new trial.

Could convicted family killer Chris Coleman get a new trial?

A southern Illinois judge has granted a hearing to a man seeking a new trial after he was convicted for the 2009 killings of his wife and their two young sons.

Coleman is serving a life term in the strangulation deaths of his wife Sherri and their 9-year-old and 11-year-old sons in their Columbia home.

The evidentiary hearing the judge ordered Tuesday hasn't been scheduled.

Coleman requests new trial, judge orders evidentiary hearing

He murdered his wife and children in cold blood and never regretted it. He is narcissistic, and I hope he does not receive a new trial. How fair is that to Sheri’s family? And his family are as narcissistic as he is, defending him even though they have to see his guilt as clearly as the rest of us do. This just burns my soul that a “religious” family like the Coleman’s think they are above judgement. One day, they will realize that they can say whatever they want to whomever, but their God knows the truth and will be the final judge and jury.

So this guy's claims were dismissed by a panel of judge's in Jan of 2019.

Then 3 months later he files a different appeal and gets a different judge to take the bait? smh

Coleman was Chris Watts before Chris Watts. This is one of the first cases I ever followed here, alongside the Powell madness and little Ethan (there are too many little Ethans), and one I still have nightmares about. The callousness, brutality and stupidity of the crime and the ham-handed efforts to cover it up, the faux-religiosity, the tawdriness of the motivating affair, the enabling Coleman family, vulnerability of the victims -- awful, awful, awful.

I am astonished that this hearing is going forward. Hopefully it all ends here.

The threatening notes from the supposed stranger were found to be typed from his work laptop, IIRC. How much guiltier can you get? He went on trips with a former HS friend of his wife's, was planning a wedding with her and apparently a new, unencumbered life. His employer, Joyce Meyer, would have terminated his employment had he gotten a divorce. What a loser.

I also want to add that if I were a member of his father's church I would have left pronto when he was asking for donations to pay for his son's defense. You can bet that he is funding this appeal lawyer with the congregation's money.

The threatening notes from the supposed stranger were found to be typed from his work laptop, IIRC. How much guiltier can you get? He went on trips with a former HS friend of his wife's, was planning a wedding with her and apparently a new, unencumbered life. His employer, Joyce Meyer, would have terminated his employment had he gotten a divorce. What a loser.

I also want to add that if I were a member of his father's church I would have left pronto when he was asking for donations to pay for his son's defense. You can bet that he is funding this appeal lawyer with the congregation's money.
Back in the first few threads, locals said RC’s church was more like a cult. I remember a local went to check it out and was asked to leave. I don’t believe many members left the church.
I’m with you... I would have ran from that church so fast I would have set world records in track.

Back in the first few threads, locals said RC’s church was more like a cult. I remember a local went to check it out and was asked to leave. I don’t believe many members left the church.
I’m with you... I would have ran from that church so fast I would have set world records in track.
I couldn't stand to watch/hear his parents talk.
After a few seconds I had to fast forward the YT doc.
So smooth, so much false 'religious speak'.
They made me want to hurl -- but maybe that's why their son turned out to be a murderer ?

I couldn't stand to watch/hear his parents talk.
After a few seconds I had to fast forward the YT doc.
So smooth, so much false 'religious speak'.
They made me want to hurl -- but maybe that's why their son turned out to be a murderer ?

I agree with you. Chris grew up knowing his “real” parents and how they operated. It was just his way of life. I guess the church members didn’t mind paying an attorney to try and keep a murderer out of prison. Apparently they still don’t mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back