OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#49

Status
Not open for further replies.
State has concerns and will investigate the case further.

FW celebrating with RW.

Can hear Len Manley talking in the background, he doesn't sound happy.

Coverage ended. Will wait for video online and news stories because I couldn't hear the reasons why the case is being dismissed nor details about why the prosecution would continue investigating FW's role.

Judge deciphering memorandum on speedy trial
No objection by defense on dismissal.

Case discussed without prejudice. Bond is released.

Oh, boy. Fred is going to go on a PR campaign to get her killer family set free.

well............ they have told them to not talk about any of it, right.
fear of what going forward will do to other cases is main thought here???

The gag order only applies to the attorney. Since the charges against FW have been dropped, she's free to say what she wants.

JMO, I don't think it will have any affect on the W4 cases. There is substantial evidence against them, a HUGE amount. That wasn't the case for FW, they really only had the issue over her purchase of the BPV's.

Because the charges were dismissed with prejudice, it means the charges can't be brought again. Wonder why AC agreed to that? o_O

I'm going to say it again - I think AC needs some help prosecuting all these cases. It's too much work for one person. Junk is not helping out, nor should he.

I think that is true. They may need to keep this under wraps until a later time. AC sounded to me like she would revisit this. Hope I understood correctly.

So much playing to the camera at the end. I just hope it isn't truly the end. Definitely don't want an innocent person wrongfully convicted, but definitely want justice served.

I don't understand why were charges dropped?

Volume on the video was very low. It was nearly impossible to hear anything without headphones. Will have to wait for news or for video to be posted.

I could hear very little of what AC said, it happened very fast, as usual. Before the judge announced the decision, AC did make him restate that everyone else is still bound by the gag order, specifically WRT talking to the news media.

Crappy recording of the hearing, JMO

The gag order only applies to the attorney. Since the charges against FW have been dropped, she's free to say what she wants.

JMO, I don't think it will have any affect on the W4 cases. There is substantial evidence against them, a HUGE amount. That wasn't the case for FW, they really only had the issue over her purchase of the BPV's.

Because the charges were dismissed with prejudice, it means the charges can't be brought again. Wonder why AC agreed to that? o_O

I'm going to say it again - I think AC needs some help prosecuting all these cases. It's too much work for one person. Junk is not helping out, nor should he.

On another line of thinking, if her charges are dismissed, she can't request and get all the GJ info she was requesting...

Maybe they want her saying what she wants.

Since we still don't know if they are going to try all these cases in Pike County or elsewhere, her efforts my be positive in Pike County. I don't trust that county/local jurors to preside over these cases, JMO only. I may change my mind later, but I don't have a lot of faith in all the people that live there who would be eligible to serve.

Charges dropped against Wagner matriarch in Rhoden slayings

"Wagner, 77, had faced a felony charges of obstructing justice and perjury. Prosecutors accused her of lying to a grand jury about two bulletproof vests that were found in her son’s bedroom at her family farm when investigators raided it in May 2017, more than a year after eight members of the Rhoden family were shot to death overnight in four rural Pike County homes. Wagner’s son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons have all pleaded not guilty to eight counts of aggravated murder and related charges, and each could face the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutor Angela Canepa said there is still work to do in the investigation and authorities did not want to run afoul of Wagner’s right to a speedy trial. Charges could be refiled."

Ok, I heard wrong. AC can still file charges again. Didn't make sense that she would take that option off the table. That's a relief.

I'm guessing AC and team need more help managing all these cases. She can't keep investigating FW while she's preparing for 5 other trials.

Charges dismissed without prejudice, which means they can be brought again, JMO. BBM below

Charges against Fredericka Wagner, the matriarch of the Wagner family which has been accused of murder in the deaths of the Rhoden family, were dismissed Wednesday afternoon.

Attorneys for Wagner had previously asked for the obstruction and perjury charges against her to be dismissed. She had pleaded not guilty. During a hearing Wednesday, the judge overseeing the case, Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering, dismissed the charges against her without prejudice.
Pike County: Charges against Fredericka Wagner dismissed

The prosecution REALLY does not want the identity and/or some of the Grand Jury testimony to be released before the W4's trials.

JMO, MOO, etc.

:):):):):):)

Last edited:
Pike County: Charges against Fredericka Wagner dismissed, 'Trust in the Lord,' she said

The dismissal was so the prosecution can analyze further “new and favorable” evidence in the case without running out of speedy trial time, according to prosecutors. They can refile and said they plan to. There’s a six-year statute of limitations Prosecutor Angie Canepa said.

The gag order over the case survives the dismissal, per order of Deering.

From the Columbus Dispatch link above:

Article discusses problems with FW's case in an earlier pre-trial hearing and the hassling of the prosecution by the defense.

Owen also in May subpoenaed Ryan Scheiderer, the special agent with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation who leads the case. For the first time since the court hearings began in November, however, Scheiderer wasn’t in the courtroom for a June 4 hearing where it was expected he might testify. At that hearing, attorneys for both sides could be heard yelling behind closed doors in Judge Randy D. Deering’s chambers and when they finally entered the courtroom for an open session, nothing happened except another court date was scheduled.
Courtroom insiders had said prior to today’s hearing that Deering was quickly losing his patience with the issue.

What's up with Ryan Scheiderer?

The prosecution REALLY does not want the identity and/or some of the Grand Jury testimony to be released before the W4's trials.

JMO, MOO, etc.

:):):):):):)

Good point. JMO, they're protecting people who served on the GJ.

FW and her attorneys did receive the relevant testimony evidence. It sounds like there were going to be more delays in getting her attorneys what they requested and thought it would interfere with FW's right to a speedy trial. They'll probably come after her later, if needed. For now they need to get the other trials ready.

Perhaps this was the tactics her attorneys were using - keep filing more motions and asking for more evidence to run out the clock and threaten FW's right to a speedy trial.

Holly Zachariah on Twitter

"Story constantly being updated. Wilma Rhoden, with tears in her eyes said she now wants all the cases moved out of Pike County."

D-AqJBcWsAA3-Iy.jpg:large

The Chillicothe Gazette's article states the reasons for the dismissal, but it wont let me post the direct link.

Chillicothe Gazette | ChillicotheGazette.com

"The dismissal was so prosecution can analyze further NEW AND FAVORABLE evidence without running out of speedy trial time. They can refile and plan to - there's a six-year statute of limitations Angie Canepa said."

JMO...The only thing FW really gained freedom today is the ankle bracelets and house arrest. IMO, she is guilty and justice will be served. Just not today.

And to the victims' families, I hope you hold your heads high and do not feel defeated. I will still be praying for you, and even harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member