Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the park searched for her phone to make sure it wasnt tossed or dumbed there after turning it off or smashing it? He could have incapacitated her then took her phone.
I sure hope so. Last known destination of a missing person, you'd have to think searching the immediate area for clues/signs of foul play would be SOP.
This "last known person texting with Lueck" I wonder if LE found this person or whether this person came forward.
My guess is they found them. If not, why would that person not come forward until it was announced they had access to phone records? IMO, this person is one of three people (in order of likelihood)- the suspect/person responsible for her disappearance, a friend who knows more than they've let on, or another "love interest" who is not involved.

Aren't all cell phones SUPPOSED to be turned off when charging? I thought it wrecked the battery if you left them on while charging and then they overcharged.

Disclaimer: I only got my first smartphone 2 1/2 years ago, so I'm not up on these things.

If that’s true, I’m sure most of us are doing it wrong.

I’ve never turned my phone off to charge it, and probably wouldn’t turn it off it was the correct way to do it.

“Ain’t nobody got time for that.”

Lueck was reported missing on June 20 by her parents after she failed to contact them and didn't take her mid-term exam. Lueck also failed to make her return flight home to California on Sunday.

Police have interviewed friends and family, and have visited place Lueck frequented, in hopes to uncover more information.

Sgt. Brandon Shearer with SLCPD told 2News that officers have searched several places in North Salt Lake. They are also knocking on doors to rule out if anyone near Hatch Park had contact with Lueck, Doubt said.

Police are in the process of checking Lueck's social media accounts and writing search warrants.

Shearer said so far, no evidence points to Lueck being harmed or in danger. However, Doubt says her disappearance is concerning.
Police: Search for U of U student, now missing for 9 days, is a top priority

ETA: @PommyMommy - midterm exam was June 20(?).

I do find this update very interesting and random. I hope there's a lot more to it.
I am glad that police have (apparently) accessed her phone records and located the last person she was texting with.

Either that person is the person in the park, or that person may have some idea of who she was planning to meet. MOO

I’m wondering if the car waiting for her was just a ride to someone else. She may have known the driver, but they were not involved in the disappearance.

Once at the final location, then things turned south. That is why it was ok for the lyft driver to see the car.
I hadn't thought of that. Good point. A chauffeur maybe? If so, Kenzie recognized this person and therefore had already met the individual she would be taken to

I’ve never turned my phone off to charge it, and probably wouldn’t turn it off it was the correct way to do it.

Me either - mine is plugged in all day long and then again at night and I never turn it off - I've had blackberries and iphones for a very long time. Never had a battery issue with charging like this. I don't think she shut it off. IMO

I've never done this (unless it's dead). iPhones, Android phones...not once have I turned off a phone when I plug it in. Do people do that?

Is it possible that she had her phone in ‘Airplane Mode’ during the flight and just forgot to turn it back on? If she used her Lyft app after the flight, would she need have had the WIFI or LTE turned back on?

If her phone was on airplane mode, she would have had to be connected to the airport's wifi to call the Lyft. Airport wifi is way overpriced, so I doubt she would have paid for it just to not use her cellular data - MOO

Well for LE to make that random tweet today and not mention this in the last two pressers makes me think that cooperating person didn't come forward but was discovered in the phone records. jmo
Bingo-

And it still could be that this person is totally innocent and was just trying to keep his wife from finding out that he was texting a 23 yr old at 3am. It would be a difficult conversation to have.

Aren't all cell phones SUPPOSED to be turned off when charging? I thought it wrecked the battery if you left them on while charging and then they overcharged.

Disclaimer: I only got my first smartphone 2 1/2 years ago, so I'm not up on these things.
I sometimes (not always) turn my phone off while charging just because it charges faster that way (my home charger is not great). Oddly, my car charger works much better and charges more over less time. Go figure. I do need to upgrade my phone soon because I've replaced the battery once already, it's old, and I never get more than about 18 hours' use from one charge.

Last edited:
Someone said this in another forum,

"It's 3:00 AM - a woman alone at Salt Lake City airport books a Lyft ride to go to a city park, rather than a verifiable residence or hotel. What is wrong with that scenario that anyone would not suspect it to be nefarious? Why would any cab company or ride service accept such an order without further scrutiny or investigation? The police need to go over their exoneration of that Lyft driver again - and have absolute proof the ride ended "safely" as he stated it did."

Unless she told the driver she was meeting someone there to take her ‘home’.

Gosh this is a good question I just read on a Facebook post.

Did she tip the Lyft driver?

Usually that’s something you do with Uber after your ride through the app. I am not familiar with lyft, nor do I know if she’d normally do this that way, with cash, or not at all. The answer could give more insight into if she willingly powered down her phone.

Unless it's changed very recently (the last couple of weeks), you can't pre-tip in Lyft. Once the ride finishes, it tells you your total, asks you to rate the driver, and gives you the option to tip. You can, however, just close the app and not do any of that. I've done it after using one slightly inebriated a time or two :oops: and then had to go back and tip the next morning (oops!). You are NOT supposed to tip in cash, and I've had Lyft drivers say that they aren't allowed to accept cash. That's just what I've been told though.

From the article:

Police will confirm that Lueck’s cell phone is currently powered down and that it was turned off once she met up with an unknown person at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake just before 3 a.m. on June 17.

“Pretty much right after the contact was made at the park—that’s when things went dark,” said Detective Greg Wilking.

Man...

Not surprised, but something about just reading these words...

Shudder.

What immediately comes to mind is Christina Morris’ case. Something about last seen going to the car...

Appellate court affirms conviction for Christina Morris' kidnapper | Courts | Dallas News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151