Recovered/Located Canada - Shandy Harricharrandas, 40, Richmond HIll, Toronto, 19 June 2019

If he is a landed immigrant and not a Canadian Citizen he would need more than just a Passport to gain entry to the US. He would also have had to have a Visa and you can't just get a Visa at the drop of a hat. You have to apply for it.

so he couldn't have just impulsively decided to go to the States in that case, he planned it

Wondering if the fall down the stairs and his presumed concussion might have caused the change in behavior/ direction?

The concussion narrative doesn't make sense. Someone who is seriously injured to that point would have a tough time getting to the border going thru security with no problems.

Ontario laws until July 1st do not allow for relatives of someone who has been reported missing to get access to their banking info etc.

I think the whole story of concussion etc. is a red herring and not pertinent. This seems like someone who walked away from home, picked up his passport because you cannot enter the US without a passport and doesn't want to be found. IMO

You do not need a passport to drive into the United States from Canada, if he is a Canadian citizen, if he had an enhanced drivers license that would be all he was required to show. It is the same for US citizens driving in to Canada, I could use my passport or an enhanced drivers license which more and more people are obtaining now when they renew their driver's license. As musicaljoke explained in the prior post. I know I have done it. He may be in Buffalo or he may continue south to other parts of NY State.
Without a passport he knew he could cross into the US with his enhanced license.

Last edited:
You do not need a passport to drive into the United States from Canada, if he is a Canadian citizen, if he had an enhanced drivers license that would be all he was required to show. It is the same for US citizens driving in to Canada, I could use my passport or an enhanced drivers license which more and more people are obtaining now when they renew their driver's license. As musicaljoke explained in the prior post. I know I have done it. He may be in Buffalo or he may continue south to other parts of NY State.
Without a passport he knew he could cross into the US with his enhanced license.
Please advise how you know he had an enhanced license. Thank you.

I don't know just like you don't know if he was a citizen or used a passport. I don't know that either. My point is if you have an enhanced license, you just drive across the border you stop at a booth show the ID and move forward, pretty uncomplicated and very easy. I also stated "IF" he had an enhanced license, I did not state it as fact.

Again whether he had a passport or "enhanced drivers license" which I have to admit I have never used it is all somewhat irrelevant aside from the fact that this is a conscious move someone has to make.

This is not a missing person case this is a runaway case.

Again whether he had a passport or "enhanced drivers license" which I have to admit I have never used it is all somewhat irrelevant aside from the fact that this is a conscious move someone has to make.

This is not a missing person case this is a runaway case.

It's certainly suspicious. It also points out that not all missing persons cases are reported to border security.

I agree bluberry, however may not even be a runaway case if he establishes himself and if he is under obligation of child support and continues to pay it, then I guess as an adult he has the right to go where he wishes. I wonder if he had a girlfriend and decided to start a new life with her back in the states to escape family pressures.

If he is under legal obligation to pay child support and ran away from that, then that a legal issue.

I agree bluberry, however may not even be a runaway case if he establishes himself and if he is under obligation of child support and continues to pay it, then I guess as an adult he has the right to go where he wishes. I wonder if he had a girlfriend and decided to start a new life with her back in the states to escape family pressures.

If he is under legal obligation to pay child support and ran away from that, then that a legal issue.

All interesting questions...........

At what point could the police declare him voluntary missing? Would his reported head injury play a role in that decisition? Since he's not using his phone, do they have grounds for monitoring his credit card activity?

At what point could the police declare him voluntary missing? Would his reported head injury play a role in that decisition? Since he's not using his phone, do they have grounds for monitoring his credit card activity?
Another man from Toronto, a respected fire-fighter, also had a possible concussion when he went missing from a NY ski resort and ended up all the way in California.
He cannot recall what happened, but was ultimately found still wearing his ski-boots and winter clothing!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/missing-skier-recounts-journey-1.4798484
"Filippidis says he believes his misadventure began when he took a wrong turn on the way back to the car. He has no recollection of a fall that knocked him out and likely caused a concussion, but recalls coming to at "dusk" feeling sore and disoriented.

He made his way to what he mistakenly believed to be the main ski lodge, only to find it closed and deserted. Investigators later determined that Filippidis likely fell near a children's ski slope and worked his way to the hub of kids programming, an area that's sparsely populated and would have been closed at the time.

Filippidis suspects he then flagged down a truck in the hopes of securing a ride off the mountain.

Memories of what happened next are fragmented at best.

I ended up on the internet ... I think that's when I came to the realization that I was a missing person".
rbbm.
Ws thread.
Found Alive - NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members